Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2018 7:07:13 AM EDT
I'm going to be building a precision AR here soon and I was considering the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40. What do you guys think of this scope? Anything else I should be considering in the same price range?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be more beneficial to identify what features you have to have, what features you would like and then figure out the budget.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan on getting a Vortex PST Gen II 2-13x32
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan on getting a Vortex PST Gen II 2-13x32
View Quote
It's nice, but even with a discount it's more than I'm looking to spend. I can get the VX-R Patrol 3-9 for about $500.00. I'm ordering a Gen II PST 5-25x for another rifle. Can't afford two Gen II PSTs right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would be more beneficial to identify what features you have to have, what features you would like and then figure out the budget.
View Quote
Well, I'm looking for the all the features that the VX-R Patrol 3-9x has (variable, mil/mil, illuminated) for about $500.00. I was just wondering if there was anything else I should consider that might be around the same price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
if you don't need illumination, these are great scopes for the $:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tactical-rifle-scope-3-15x50mm-sf-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

This is an FFP scope MIL-DOT.

They are currently doing a 10% of site wide promo:  PROMO  which gets you to $450.

I have the illuminated version on my 18" "SPR" (Larue barrel) and love it.

ETA:  I have yet to use the illumination on mine, so probably could have saved $50 or so and gone with this one without any issue.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
OP get the Leupold from larue in their mount. It’s perfect for your intended use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Vortex Viper on my SPR and I absolutely love it. Holds zero well and can't beat the customer service and warranty at Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm Firedot TMR scope on my precision Recce build.  Had the scope about 4 years now.  It seems a natural for an SPR/Recce type rifle.  I've had no problems of any kind.   Some claim the reticle is a bit thick, but it is a good compromise for a scope that needs to be conspicuous.  The Firedot can be made intensely daylight bright, if needed, is great in low light, and is relatively small at .3 mils or about 1 MOA.  Large enough to be conspicuous and small enough to hit small distant targets for all but sum MOA benchrest precision. It is in a Larue SPR LT-104 mount.  It is mil/mil.  The turrets track true.  I especially like that it is one of the Leupold scopes that can use the screw in fold flat metal Alumina scope caps.

I also hot swap this scope in a Larue SPR for my pre-sighted target/load development scope, a Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 that has very fine 1/8 MOA target reticle and 1/8 MOA target turrets.

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Vortex Viper on my SPR and I absolutely love it. Holds zero well and can't beat the customer service and warranty at Vortex.
View Quote
I ended up ordering a Vortex Viper PST 3-15x, which was only $50 more than the 2.5-10x model.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if you don't need illumination, these are great scopes for the $:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tactical-rifle-scope-3-15x50mm-sf-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

This is an FFP scope MIL-DOT.

They are currently doing a 10% of site wide promo:  PROMO  which gets you to $450.

I have the illuminated version on my 18" "SPR" (Larue barrel) and love it.

ETA:  I have yet to use the illumination on mine, so probably could have saved $50 or so and gone with this one without any issue.
View Quote
People reading this should be aware that the scope linked is mil/moa. It also has limited adjustment range.

I also have the illuminated mil/mil model. Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend to get a feel for it.

OP ordered a scope but I’d recommend SWFA scopes over Leupold or a Vortex. I now have 6 of their scopes. (3) 6X  (2) 3-9  (1) 5-20.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People reading this should be aware that the scope linked is mil/moa. It also has limited adjustment range.

I also have the illuminated mil/mil model. Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend to get a feel for it.

OP ordered a scope but I’d recommend SWFA scopes over Leupold or a Vortex. I now have 6 of their scopes. (3) 6X  (2) 3-9  (1) 5-20.
View Quote
I've used the older Mildot/MOA SWFA SS 10X and now I have SS 10X with mil-quad on my Remington 700. Can't beat the quality and ruggedness for the money. I was actually thinking about picking up another one for my MK14.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]
http://weaveroptics.com/optics/tactical/tactical_riflescopes/

I am am pretty certain the whole/small lineup is mil only
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep recommending the Bushnell engage line of scope. I have a 2.5-10x and for the money you cant beat it. 30mm tubes, locking turrets, side parallax adjust, moa reticle, and super clear glass
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a used 1st gen Vortex PST 2.5-10 FFP and have been 100% satisfied....
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
You can pick up an Accupower 3-9 for about 500 if you look around.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can pick up an Accupower 3-9 for about 500 if you look around.
View Quote
This.  Accus have come down a bit in the used segment.  They held value for years, but the new glass that is flooding the market has made them easier for guys to grab good Triji glass
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.  Accus have come down a bit in the used segment.  They held value for years, but the new glass that is flooding the market has made them easier for guys to grab good Triji glass
View Quote
I was actually able to grab a new one for 500 shipped from a dealer on GB.  Hasn't come in yet, but I grabbed an accupower 1-4 from the same dealer last year that I've been very happy with.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The VX-R patrol 3-9x40 is a really good fit for an SPR.

I have a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 3-9x36 on my MIL RECCE.  I like it but the VX-R is a better optic for this purpose.  Field of view is a little better and the "eye box" is better, clarity is a little better.

I had to choose the between the two when I built my gun which is a little more of a clone and I got a great deal on the MR/T.

I also have the Weave Tactical 3-15 mentioned here and it is a great scope and will probably find it's way onto an SPR type build in the future.  It's a little big IMO and a 50mm OBJ wouldn't be my first choice.

ETA:  I'm a big fan of Mil reticle, Mil adjustment, and FFP also.  Those are usually what I'm looking for in a scope.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#19]
US Optic 1-6 on mine. Most anything over 4 should be good
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top