Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2022 1:21:40 PM EDT
Hey, guys..

I've got an m16a4gery in the works currently,  and I've got all Schmid parts in the lower,  but the selector lever is incorrect.   I've been trying like hell to find the correct selector lever,  and can't.  

To further add to the pain,  just 3 days ago,  brownells had the option to purchase the correct lever,  with an 'in stock' notification above the listing.   They've since removed the product entirely.  

So,  I am willing to pay an absurd amount for this thing if need be.   I see it on gunbroker right now,  but the issue is that it is part of an entire full auto lower parts kit.

I have a dog,  whom I am very fond of,  and do not wish to upset the crown to come shoot my dog.

Due to the fact that a certain little piece fond of the number 3, which is part of the lpk happens to be in the packaging,  that's what concerns me.  

Even though,  my plan with the selector lever is to remove the middle fin, and obviously not use any of the other pieces, could I still land in hot water?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's basically what I've got.   The tick mark is incorrect, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So you need a no-tick schmid single side?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So you need a no-tick schmid single side?
View Quote

Sorry, just got out of work.  I can supply a photo now. This is exactly what I'm after.  

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100029349_5..jpg

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100029349_3.jpg

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100029349_2.jpg

Keep in mind, none of the Schmid semi-auto selectors have the 'diamond' tick. To the best of my knowledge, the diamind is the only style issued to the military for the m16a4. Excluding any possible usage of ambi safety selectors.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The new Colt non-ambi but reversible semi-auto safeties have a short lever and diamond style tic mark.

ETA: part number SP63000 made in 2021 and later.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the LPK that I had found on Gunbroker.  It is the ONLY place I have found this selector lever in all of my searching online.  And I am a crazy enough bastard to pay $150 for it.  Hell, I paid $200 for the selector and another $200 for the bolt catch on my Colt 601 "build"..  But, for obvious reasons...  I don't think it'd be the greatest idea to purchase that LPK.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939412640
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/lawenforcement/ambidextrous-selector/

Why you no ambidextrous? Long or short lever for a cool $20.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The new Colt non-ambi but reversible semi-auto safeties have a short lever and diamond style tic mark.
View Quote

I was actually just reading about the Colt selector earlier.  It's perfect in every way, except for one.  The lever arm protrudes too far onto the selector body.  

This here is the Colt version:
https://cdn3.volusion.com/knqkd.pxjkx/v/vspfiles/photos/SP63000-2T.jpg?v-cache=1654171536

The Schmid select-fire
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was actually just reading about the Colt selector earlier.  It's perfect in every way, except for one.  The lever arm protrudes too far onto the selector body.  

This here is the Colt version:
https://cdn3.volusion.com/knqkd.pxjkx/v/vspfiles/photos/SP63000-2T.jpg?v-cache=1654171536

The Schmid select-fire
View Quote

Current production does not, I just got two of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be honest?  I'm still not certain that I've seen any as-issued A4's with ambi.  Granted I'm still pretty new to the game of the M16A4, but I've been going through a lot of the M16A4 clone sub-threads, as well as practically every Google image I can find.  Specifically, I am attempting to replicate the marine issued A4, with a TA31RCO.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt's current tick marked selectors are not made by Schmid as far as I can tell. They are not marked with an "S" anywhere. Side note, they are also black oxide finished instead of phosphate.

Check Specialized Armament for selectors.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Current production does not, I just got two of them.
View Quote

Really?  Hell, I'll buy one right now then! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Colt's current tick marked selectors are not made by Schmid as far as I can tell. They are not marked with an "S" anywhere. Side note, they are also black oxide finished instead f phosphate.

View Quote

Well, shit...  Now I don't know whether to try and buy one to see if I get lucky with the "S", correct lever protrusion, and tic mark, or not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Colt's current tick marked selectors are not made by Schmid as far as I can tell. They are not marked with an "S" anywhere. Side note, they are also black oxide finished instead of phosphate.

View Quote

Charlie's Custom Clones (shudder) has them in stock. Their price is actually fair for this part. Both are very nicely machined, but no "S" and black oxide and not manganese phosphate unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Charlie's Custom Clones (shudder) has them in stock. Their price is actually fair for this part. Both are very nicely machined, but no "S" and black oxide and not manganese phosphate unfortunately.
View Quote

I contacted Special Armament via E-Mail.  They appear to have the correct selector for sale on their website, but I just want to know if they'd be willing to sell it to me.  Again, for the AFT,  I am going to be rendering its capabilities as a select-fire unit useless, assuming they'll even send one.  As mentioned, I'm quite attached to my dog.  And prison doesn't seem very appealing.  Even with a full auto selector, it'd just make the rifle either SAFE - SEMI - SAFE,  or  SAFE - SEMI - SEMI.  But, y'know. AFT is the AFT.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This proved to be the answer I've been searching for! Ordered a selector from Specialized Armament. Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This proved to be the answer I've been searching for! Ordered a selector from Specialized Armament. Thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great to hear! Be prepared for a wait though, Specialized Armament always takes a while to ship.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To be honest?  I'm still not certain that I've seen any as-issued A4's with ambi.  Granted I'm still pretty new to the game of the M16A4, but I've been going through a lot of the M16A4 clone sub-threads, as well as practically every Google image I can find.  Specifically, I am attempting to replicate the marine issued A4, with a TA31RCO.
View Quote

If you look at FDC's history posts in the big A4 clone thread (and I think it is mentioned by some others as well) there were at least four types of safety selectors.

(Jul 97-Sep 99)
Their safety selectors, while having a "tick" to indicate the mode of operation, were only single-sided (no ambidextrous safeties were in use) & the "lever" itself extended from the edge of the safety rather than from the middle as currently issued ones do.

Type 1 Safety Selector - Is a non-ambidextrous selector with a lever/paw on the left side that extends only to the edge of the selector base, with a "Tick" or divot mark on the right side to indicate the mode of operation. These safeties can vary in color from light gray to midnight black (earlier ones being more grey - later ones more black). DPMS, White Oak Armory, & CMT (among other brands) make these types of safeties.

Type 2 Safety Selector - Is like above except the lever/paw extends to the center of the safeties' base rather than only to the edge of it, and they tend to be more black in color (the more recently manufactured they are). Colt tends to make these. PSA offers these, though occasionally they have the type ones instead.

(2000-2010ish)
Sometime during the later part of this era (@ 2009ish?) ambidextrous safeties started showing up occasionally in use.

(2011ish-present)
They use one of 3 different types of safeties - The first being like the older format (War Years) safety except that it is reversible for use with South-Paws, the second is an ambidextrous safety that has a shortened lever on the non-dominant (non-thumb) side, and the 3rd is non-ambidextrous safety though the "lever" extends from the center of the safety rather than from the edge of the safety as those of the previous eras.

So you could possibly have long oval, short oval, two-piece ambi with stubby oval, and swappable selector.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's great to hear! Be prepared for a wait though, Specialized Armament always takes a while to ship.
View Quote

Appreciate the heads up! Luckily, I can be extremely patient when required.  Took me 13 mo. for my last tax stamp (Form 4/Paper/Trust).  Got another one that should be arriving any week/day now...
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you look at FDC's history posts in the big A4 clone thread (and I think it is mentioned by some others as well) there were at least four types of safety selectors.
View Quote

Dang! I've yet to see that.  Thank you for that info!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dang! I've yet to see that.  Thank you for that info!
View Quote

No prob.
First post here.
Look for posts from ar_mcadams, DM1975, Combat_Diver, FloridaDiveCop, and a couple of others.
ETA I went through that thread and pulled out all the historical details and put it in one doc. I used that to figure out what all I wanted to do with my clone build.
FDC has a couple of sections on slings and stock mag pouches that haven't been completed yet, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just going to order one, till I calculated shipping. They want $16 shipping

Eta: anyone have a free shipping code.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I received a Schmid marked semi selector in a FCG I bought off the EE a couple of years ago, in a CMMG kit IIRC. Most components in the kit were black, but a 30 minute soak in some concrete prep (phosphoric acid solution) turned the trigger and safety selector into a nice phosphate gray. Looks good on my A1 clone with NDS lower.

Just a tip for you guys if you're worried about the finish  / color.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I received a Schmid marked semi selector in a FCG I bought off the EE a couple of years ago, in a CMMG kit IIRC. Most components in the kit were black, but a 30 minute soak in some concrete prep (phosphoric acid solution) turned the trigger and safety selector into a nice phosphate gray. Looks good on my A1 clone with NDS lower.

Just a tip for you guys if you're worried about the finish  / color.

Good luck.
View Quote

Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover works too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry OP I didn't see this thread earlier.  Just checked my stash.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry OP I didn't see this thread earlier.  Just checked my stash.
View Quote

Ahhh, it's all good, man!  Appreciate it!  Besides, with what I'll be getting it'll have the ability to flip to burst (of course it will BE semi-auto still).
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's one in the EE for $18.  I messaged the seller and it has the "tic".....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/WTS-Colt-single-sided-selector/119-2268367/

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's one in the EE for $18.  I messaged the seller and it has the "tic".....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/WTS-Colt-single-sided-selector/119-2268367/

View Quote

The reason I went with the 3 position selector from Specialized Armament, rather than something like that Colt single sided selector, is there were 3 elements I was looking for.  The first was the "S" mark. The second was the diamond-shaped 'tic'. And lastly, the arm doesn't run to the middle of the circular part of the selector, but rather remains at the edge.

If I remember correctly, the others were saying earlier in the thread that the Colt selector has the correct "diamond" shaped 'tic', and it also has the "S" mark, but the arm does run to the center.

This is exactly the selector I was looking for, and thanks to your guys' help, finally found:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390738/C2CFE51E-2CE4-4322-851C-247B476C8DFB_jpe-1452645.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390738/23ACE5E9-99D8-4E20-B80C-BCFB4E0D57F5_jpe-1452628.JPG

As a side note, ^ the rifle in that link confuses me.  The lower is very A1-esque, as noticeable by the non-reinforced buffer tube area, BUT it also has a burst setting.  The upper is obviously A2, and that's all correct, but..That lower is weird to me.  Anybody know the answer?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The reason I went with the 3 position selector from Specialized Armament, rather than something like that Colt single sided selector, is there were 3 elements I was looking for.  The first was the "S" mark. The second was the diamond-shaped 'tic'. And lastly, the arm doesn't run to the middle of the circular part of the selector, but rather remains at the edge.

If I remember correctly, the others were saying earlier in the thread that the Colt selector has the correct "diamond" shaped 'tic', and it also has the "S" mark, but the arm does run to the center.

This is exactly the selector I was looking for, and thanks to your guys' help, finally found:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390738/C2CFE51E-2CE4-4322-851C-247B476C8DFB_jpe-1452645.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390738/23ACE5E9-99D8-4E20-B80C-BCFB4E0D57F5_jpe-1452628.JPG

As a side note, ^ the rifle in that link confuses me.  The lower is very A1-esque, as noticeable by the non-reinforced buffer tube area, BUT it also has a burst setting.  The upper is obviously A2, and that's all correct, but..That lower is weird to me.  Anybody know the answer?
View Quote

The rifle in that link is an export M16A2.  Colt used leftover A1 forgings for some foreign and commercial sales.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you notice the restricted statement in the terms? Maybe things have changed. Last time I bought one machine gun part many moons ago I had to send a copy of my paperwork to get the one part.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did you notice the restricted statement in the terms? Maybe things have changed. Last time I bought one machine gun part many moons ago I had to send a copy of my paperwork to get the one part.
View Quote

This was my E-mail to them:

"Hello,

I am attempting to create an M16A4 clone, and I have been trying, and trying to find an "S" marked selector, which has the correct 'tic mark' of the select-fire examples, and with the correct arm length.

It appears that you have the exact selector I am searching for (part #: SP64964).  Granted, I can't see the 'tic mark' on the opposite side, but everything else is correct about it, and I would imagine the 'tic mark' to be as well.

Do you know if it would be possible to purchase this selector, even with the knowledge that it is going to be used in a semi-automatic?  My plan is to remove the middle fin altogether, rendering its capabilities in a select-fire firearm useless anyways.

Thank you for your time!

-Justin"

And their response was the following:

"Yes, you can do this.  No problem.

Yes, the selector has the correct indicator cut on the right side.

Ken Elmore

Owner, Engineer, Operations Supervisor"

I made certain to inform them of my intentions with it, and removing the middle fin.  I am solely after the appearance, not the functionality.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad it worked out for you.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top