Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2018 4:56:32 PM EDT
What's the deal? I'm not up to date on what is legal, I believe angle grips might be? But what about vertical grips? I saw several pics here of braces with shorty vertical grips...
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think about the OAL thing. AH
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people think that if the angle of the vertical grip isn’t exactly 90 degrees then it’s not illegal on a pistol under 26”.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people think that if the angle of the vertical grip isn’t exactly 90 degrees then it’s not illegal on a pistol under 26”.
View Quote
For an actual angled grip, I think that's pretty well established and true; for something like the BCM grip that is like 89 degrees... lol. I'd say that's really splitting hairs.

It might well be fine, but when it's called a vertical foregrip and only differs by a degree or two, I dunno. I guess it depends on how literally you want to take that ATF letter that mentions 90 degrees to the bore as being the standard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The current logic is that when a stockless short barreled AR is over 26" overall, it ceases to be a pistol and enters the same nebulous "firearm" definition the Mossberg Shockwave occupies.
Typing out "current logic" was painful, and goes to show the hilarious futility of navigating ATF "opinions"
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For an actual angled grip, I think that's pretty well established and true; for something like the BCM grip that is like 89 degrees... lol. I'd say that's really splitting hairs.

It might well be fine, but when it's called a vertical foregrip and only differs by a degree or two, I dunno. I guess it depends on how literally you want to take that ATF letter that mentions 90 degrees to the bore as being the standard.
View Quote
Yeah that would be a counterpoint by a prosecuting attorney that BCM even lists and advertises it on their website as a "vertical" grip in their own verbage.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The current logic is that when a stockless short barreled AR is over 26" overall, it ceases to be a pistol and enters the same nebulous "firearm" definition the Mossberg Shockwave occupies.
Typing out "current logic" was painful, and goes to show the hilarious futility of navigating ATF "opinions"
View Quote
Only if it also has a front grip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Vertical grips are not very important IMO. It’s nice having something to push back against and to make sure your hand is in the same position every time, but not for actually grabbing the thing like a grip. The gun is simply more stable when your support hand is wrapped around the hand guard, not wrapped around a VFG. I’m not aware of scientific measurements, but I can easily feel the gun is able to wobble more when I hold the VFG.

An AFG works, but I don’t even think those are very useful except as a hand stop for short barrels. I really prefer no forward grip of any type, especially to save weight. So I guess I’m saying that I don’t think it is worth it to find a loophole just to add an accessory that is not very useful.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Vertical grips are not very important IMO. It’s nice having something to push back against and to make sure your hand is in the same position every time, but not for actually grabbing the thing like a grip. The gun is simply more stable when your support hand is wrapped around the hand guard, not wrapped around a VFG. I’m not aware of scientific measurements, but I can easily feel the gun is able to wobble more when I hold the VFG.

An AFG works, but I don’t even think those are very useful except as a hand stop for short barrels. I really prefer no forward grip of any type, especially to save weight. So I guess I’m saying that I don’t think it is worth it to find a loophole just to add an accessory that is not very useful.
View Quote
I have no clue what this had to do with the thread.

I like white bread over wheat...
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have no clue what this had to do with the thread.

I like white bread over wheat...
View Quote
Oh, are you talking about handguns? I thought this was an AR pistol VFG thing. Just ignore then.

Edit - Oh wait, this is in the AR Pistol forum. I guess you just didn’t like my opinion. Well, fuck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, are you talking about handguns? I thought this was an AR pistol VFG thing. Just ignore then.

Edit - Oh wait, this is in the AR Pistol forum. I guess you just didn’t like my opinion. Well, fuck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you have a different idea of how to hold a front grip than me. I don't wrap my entire hand around the front grip like I do the rear grip, that 'would be' wobbly. I put two or three fingers on the front grip and my index finger and thumb end up on the handguard, sorta like giving the thumbs up signal. I have a more natural wrist angle and far better rotational control of the front end that way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually agree with your opinion but I still don't know what it has to do with this thread or why it was posted.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top