Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 10:49:04 PM EDT
When window shopping (online), I noticed S&W ARs and Ruger ARs typically go for around the same price. Which of the two offer higher quality?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
From my experience I would go with the Ruger AR 556.  Their customer service is one of the best too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the Ruger ARs--although I like Ruger more as a company--but have seen S&Ws in carbine classes that functioned flawlessly.  It doesn't mean that they are better than Ruger; just conveying my observations.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When window shopping (online), I noticed S&W ARs and Ruger ARs typically go for around the same price. Which of the two offer higher quality?
View Quote
You could shoot both for a lifetime and not notice any difference. A bit like comparing a Civic to a Corolla.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I honestly like how Ruger has a decent grip/trigger guard out of the box. Also the FSB is pretty nice, and has a QD cup built in. Atleast they tried to innovate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly like how Ruger has a decent grip/trigger guard out of the box. Also the FSB is pretty nice, and has a QD cup built in. Atleast they tried to innovate.
View Quote
This.

I have a Ruger that is a few years old. Bought it used from a buddy that never had an issue with it. I haven't had an issue with it since I bought it 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't speak to the Ruger, but the S&W has been in production since '06 and used by numerous LE departments,  which is generally a plus for catching issues.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the only real difference that comes to mind.  I've heard more complaints about the S&W, but assume that it just due to more of them out there.  (Any complaints I've heard have always been really minor)  I think they're pretty much on par.  Ruger used to include a Magpul flip-up rear sight and magazine, so that's something, too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Ruger AR556 Pistol just before Thanksgiving, and I bought my two sons both an M&P Sport II for Christmas.

The S&W's are better finished (I'm definitely not a "fit and finish" kinda guy)...the Ruger lower receiver has some sharp edges that weren't knocked off before anodizing. Also, the lip around the ejection port isn't symmetrical and the dust cover catch is out of spec, causing the door detent to not engage and stay shut. I installed an SI door with an adjustable detent ball.

The S&W's have a slightly better trigger...the Ruger has a hard wall and breaks @ 7.5 lbs., the M&P's @ 6.5 lbs..

Otherwise, they've all functioned 100% with @ 1k rounds each.

Ruger used to include a Magpul flip-up rear sight and magazine, so that's something, too.
View Quote
My M&P's did also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both, they are both reliable low cost entry level rifles. No complaint with either, but if I were to get rid of one it would be the Ruger. The m&p has a better trigger, and has a smoother operation overall that is hard to quantify.
I would be happy with either and a different m&p than mine out of the box might not beat out a different Ruger.
That's my observation, clear as mud, I know..
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Ruger
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W's consistently put out ARs with good triggers and a couple of the posts above recognize that. Mine is on par with many coated triggers. The S&W Sport with the 5r rifling was often recommended as the go-to low cost budget rifle and their line is still putting out some great options. Lifetime warranty and longer run in the AR space along with my personal experience with one keeps me in their camp.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
S&W's consistently put out ARs with good triggers and a couple of the posts above recognize that. Mine is on par with many coated triggers. The S&W Sport with the 5r rifling was often recommended as the go-to low cost budget rifle and their line is still putting out some great options. Lifetime warranty and longer run in the AR space along with my personal experience with one keeps me in their camp.
View Quote
IIRC, the latest S&W Sport models have the 1:9 rifling without 5R rifling. In the past, they had 1:8 rifling with 5R rifling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Similar guns to me but have never owned either. I have handled / fired both. Historically, I have found the M&Ps to have better fitment of the little things like selector, bolt release, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a S&W M&P15T last month. $1100 1 8" twist barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From my experience I would go with the Ruger AR 556.  Their customer service is one of the best too.
View Quote
Worked at a gun store for 4 years while I was doing my undergrad. Was also a professional firearms and tactics instructor for five years. This statement above is not entirely true. At least the customer service part. I dealt with warranty for the gun store I was at. Both Smith and Wesson and Ruger had pretty much the same customer service. Call in an issue with one of their guns, they send a call tag through email, we box it up and ship it out, they fix it or replace it and send it back for the customer. Done deal. With regard to quality, I have seen a lot of guns come in and out. The Smith & Wesson M&P-15s don't come back with issues. The Rugers did often. Now if only Smith & Wesson's performance center would get their heads on straight would be good to go.

All that said, when my wife, then girlfriend at the time asked which AR to get inside her budget, I recommended the MP-15 Sport and still would. Outstanding rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither

Windham Weaponry MPC
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Never owned either. Have fired two Rugers.

The Ruger grip is slightly better than an A2. The polymer trigger guard is a nice upgrade. Both shot fine and were as accurate (didnt shoot past 40ish yards tho)

The rear sights on both were NOT Magpul. They were Ruger branded. I don't like them, as they only have one aperture which is large.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
OP: hopefully my reviews/accuracy tests help with the decision.

Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II AR-15 Review: Great Budget Rifle Or Piece Of Junk? (HD)
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
...and the Ruger

Ruger AR-556 AR-15 Review: Is It Good, Great, or Junk?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:...Both Smith and Wesson and Ruger had pretty much the same customer service. Call in an issue with one of their guns, they send a call tag through email, we box it up and ship it out, they fix it or replace it and send it back for the customer. Done deal. With regard to quality, I have seen a lot of guns come in and out. The Smith & Wesson M&P-15s don't come back with issues. The Rugers did often....
View Quote
I'm wondering if this is due to Ruger not making them as long as S&W.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#23]
@Mrgunsngear: Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one of the fairly early S&W's and it has been a great rifle. The only thing I did with the upper was swap out the generic handguards for a DD Omega. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own, and that's saying something. I may have just lucked out there, no idea.
The lower has been SBR'd and seen plenty of changes over the years, but I never had any problems with the actual receiver. If I was shopping AR's and buying a complete rifle in that price range I wouldn't hesitate to get another from S&W.

I've never seen much less handled a Ruger AR, other than maybe in passing at a shop without noticing. By the time they introduced theirs I was not really in the market anymore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Smith has a nitrited bore.

The entry model Ruger is unlined.  Also it is blued instead of parked.
View Quote
This was a consideration for me.  I owned both at one time and I much preferred the Smith and Wesson.  The fit and finish (to me) seemed to be much better on the Smith than on the Ruger.  I also liked how the trigger guard on the Smith was forged as part of the lower receiver.  All that said, the Ruger was a fine rifle for me, I just preferred the Smith.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had a Ruger for about a month.  Had it to the range once and ran about 40 rounds through it.  Everything works fine but I have little to compare it with.  Any other firearms I have are lever action centerfire and bolt rimfire.  My Ruger is the Ar556 with the free float 11" handguard so I can't elaborate on the stock Ruger sights.  I ordered and installed fixed slim line UTG Pro picatinny sights front and rear.  They work fine.

Fit and finish may not be up to par but I wouldn't know it.  To me it is an ugly tool that gets the job done.  My levers are nice looking with DIY polished triggers and unlined barrels, but you don't need lining with 1500fps lead bullets.  The Ruger trigger seems to have a long throw and stiff break but that is compared to my tuned lever triggers.

So far I am happy with it as is.  It now sports a hand guard mounted LED light next to the front sight.

Good luck with your decision.  I suspect the differences in the Ruger and S&W models that are built to spec are minimal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Of these two specific models? Between the M&P 15 Sport II (Model 10305) and Ruger AR 556 MPR (Model 8514), these are both upgraded models and not the lowest cost S&W, or Ruger.

This past week, the Ruger MPR was an easy choice with it's 2-stage trigger, salt bath nitrided 5R barrel/ free floating handguard for accuracy, and included rifle-length gas system with Magpul PMag 30rd magazine. This Ruger can be found for a bit under $600 plus tax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I had an early production Ruger AR 556. I put about 2000 rounds through it with about 5 or 6 cleanings. This was before they had an mlok handguard available. I never had a single hiccup. It was about 3moa with cheap range ammo, 2 with mid range stuff using a cheap low power Nikon. Never experimented with any match quality ammo. Ultimately I sold it to fund a different project but it was a solid reliable rifle. I have a friend with an m&p sport that seemed basically equivalent in my inspection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one from when they first started making ARs. They were overgassed back then, but everything else was great, and also the trigger is surprisingly nice.

It has shot <.5 MOA with reloads - but probably typical results with other ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
MPR, Write this down: Ruger MPR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a Ruger AR556. Gun store convinced me that the CHF barrel was a superior upgrade. Found out it wasn't chrome lined nor 4150CMV. Then as I shot the rifle and noticed the poor machining, it really annoyed me. The magwell wasn't flared. The fitment was so bad that Magpul M3 mags would not seat at all. I could only use Magpul M2 magazines. The BCG was poorly machined (below) and had an unshrouded firing pin. The FSB was proprietary. The take down pins were so out of spec and tight that I had to use a bullet to push them out. The castle nut was not staked. The trigger was the worst gritty trigger I have ever felt. The feed ramps were badly machined and sharp, had numerous feeding issues.

If $600 is your budget, get a S&W M&P15 or an Aero Precision AC-15. Do not touch a Ruger.

Ruger BCG, notice the poor machining and chewed up firing pin.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Really don't think one could go wrong with either.  As for myself, just talked my son into getting the Ruger MPR and after further research decided to buy one for myself to have a second ar in the house for the gal.  Look into the MPR.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Smith has a nitrited bore.  

The entry model Ruger is unlined.  Also it is blued instead of parked.  

View Quote

Depending on your climate and/or usage and cleaning cycle, this could be a deciding issue.

If you live somewhere like AZ, it may not matter, but some of us live in places with jungle like humidity (Louisiana bayou country) where it could matter a lot more...I personally would not consider anything like this with an untreated barrel over one with a treatment known to be very resistant to corrosion.

Outside of that, both rifles are well made and have decent CS.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Neither, both companies caved in during the assault weapons ban.  Yeah they both apologized and changed management but when it comes to the Second Amendment there is no forgiveness for their decisions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can't speak to the Ruger, but the S&W has been in production since '06 and used by numerous LE departments,  which is generally a plus for catching issues.
View Quote

I have an early M&Px with chrome lined barrel. It's more accurate than a rack grade AR should be and has never had a malfunction or a breakage as long as I've had it. Fit and finish is superb. These rifles at the time were made proper. Even came with the "ranger o-ring" in the extractor. Can't speak for the new ones.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top