Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2021 1:28:54 PM EDT
Ok guys, if this post is inappropriate or overdone, please feel free to delete it. I have scoured many forums to try and help me make a decision. Unfortunately, nothing brings out my indecisiveness like picking out a new gun.
So, to the point. I am looking for a complete build (not interested in building my own) that would require very minimal upkeep. Reliability, ease of shooting, and customer support are my biggest priorities. My fiance gave the Ok for a KAC type budget but I want to be sure of the quality before I jump the gun (assuming they become available).
I think I am leaning towards one of the KAC's but some comments about their QC and CS have me questioning myself. That and would I be able to appreciate the nuances of a Knight's system being a first-time black rifle buyer?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can find and afford a KAC I see no reason not to.  I don't know a reason to get an entry level AR just because it's your first.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
KAC CQB Mod 2 11.5" is the correct answer.

Now see if you can find one......that's priced less than a human kidney.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KAC CQB Mod 2 11.5" is the correct answer.

Now see if you can find one......that's priced less than a human kidney.
View Quote

Yeah hopefully you showed the fiance regular, not gunbroker prices.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, I try not to even go on GB anymore. I showed her the prices on Kellyenterprises website and she was surprisingly supportive. I am on his list so I should get one either in the next 3-4 months or the next 3-4 years. We shall see.
Quick question, why the 11.5 over the 14.5? I hear some people saying the 14.5 gives you the best features of the KAC system that creates a super smooth shooter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The 11.5 and 14.5 both have extended gas systems but the 14.5s are reportedly smoother shooting. My 14.5 is in jail I need to go snag the upper. I would definitely get KAC. The QC concerns relate to the fact that as brilliant as the engineering is, sometimes Florida Man on the factory floor doesn’t torque something to spec. Like, in a friends case, the barrel nut and gas block retaining nut.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol, I try not to even go on GB anymore. I showed her the prices on Kellyenterprises website and she was surprisingly supportive. I am on his list so I should get one either in the next 3-4 months or the next 3-4 years. We shall see.
Quick question, why the 11.5 over the 14.5? I hear some people saying the 14.5 gives you the best features of the KAC system that creates a super smooth shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, the CQB Mod 2 11.5" is the single most functional configuration as it relates to my reasons for owning it. It's not for hunting. It's not for target shooting per say. It's kept as a defensive gun in a home/suburban environment.

11.5" length is well suited for such a role. I appreciate it's compactness and functional balance in that respect. If I could only keep 1 AR, that's the one.

Just personal preference.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For me, the CQB Mod 2 11.5" is the single most functional configuration as it relates to my reasons for owning it. It's not for hunting. It's not for target shooting per say. It's kept as a defensive gun in a home/suburban environment.

11.5" length is well suited for such a role. I appreciate it's compactness and functional balance in that respect. If I could only keep 1 AR, that's the one.

Just personal preference.
View Quote

I like the way you think.
Thank you guys for the thorough responses!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get too hung up on brand. Focus more so on the tiers here. As an owner of many various brands of AR's (including 3 KACs) I can tell you FUNCTIONALLY speaking there isn't much difference. If you want the KAC name, thats one thing. As far as reliability, and shootability, most AR's (other than the overgassed ones) shoot the same. If I were doing it again, Id get the FN tactical carbine as the first gun and buy a solid optic and light with the saved funds from buying KAC. Other problem with KAC stuff right now is the crazy increase in prices. My guns are worth almost 3 times what I paid for them. Considering theres a 11.5 on the EE for 4200, Id say it aint worth it man.

As far as other brands of complete manufacturers that I've liked, in order, LMT, LWRC, and FN continuously produce good stuff. DD aint bad if you can get a deal on one. I paid 1250 for the FN and couldn't be happier with its performance.

In sum, save your money and buy accessories, and wait till prices drop a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Having owned a KAC 11.5, yes awesome upper and regret selling it before the pre pandemic price run ups.  With that stated, I have a BCM CHF 11.5 protecting the fort.  Will never sell it.  Eats everything I feed it, accurate and is ranked #1 in the stable.  To each is own on brands as we all know there are plenty of good ones.  Would love to have another KAC, maybe this time a 14.5, but will continue to monitor the pricing situation as some of this is getting out of control.

Another recommendation is DD, they are legit.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, guys. I am thinking about getting a ddm4 pdw for a house gun while I am on the waitlist for either a complete Kac or BCM (might even go the DDM4 V7P route). I am going to sit on this for a couple of weeks so I avoid making an impulsive decision lol.
Again, thanks a bunch for the insight and experiences!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, guys. I am thinking about getting a ddm4 pdw for a house gun while I am on the waitlist for either a complete Kac or BCM (might even go the DDM4 V7P route). I am going to sit on this for a couple of weeks so I avoid making an impulsive decision lol.
Again, thanks a bunch for the insight and experiences!
View Quote

All are excellent choices.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top