AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they ever get the colours right such that one doesn't have to do "oil treatments" and such to get them to look correct?
View Quote
Fresh anodizing is dry and will have a different color than after it has been oiled.

It's not really an "oil treatment" for the color. Any anodized part on a gun will eventually get oil on it from handling or cleaning.

People want some perfect color, but IMO that's fairly unrealistic. We all know that there is a great deal of variation in how grey anodizing comes out. Particularly in small batches, not to mention individual peices take anno differently. Hell there is a lot of variation in vintage Colt or other anodizing, so to expect any small batch to meet some perfect ideal is really not always going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Oops, duplicate!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OP's pix look like a completed lower. Maybe he could post pic of fire control pocket.
View Quote
How about 'NO'?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Not really retro but I sent the bottom lower (was my beater) to SnF for a refresher and opted for Pre-ban Grey. Got it back today after a week turn around and it's sooo sexy!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Any new updates?  Will they take a barreled upper?  if so, any pics?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Their gray does not really match any Colt gray I’ve seen. It’s great to have another option, would like to see them work on their gray.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any new updates?  Will they take a barreled upper?  if so, any pics?
View Quote
@exotic-toys

No one will be able to ano a barreled upper. Someone will have to take the barrel and rear sight and forward assist and port door off.

The upper has to be nekkid in order to ano it.

Now they may be able to take it apart for you but it will cost extra to do something that is well within most folks abilities.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
How much??
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fresh anodizing is dry and will have a different color than after it has been oiled.

It's not really an "oil treatment" for the color. Any anodized part on a gun will eventually get oil on it from handling or cleaning.

People want some perfect color, but IMO that's fairly unrealistic. We all know that there is a great deal of variation in how grey anodizing comes out. Particularly in small batches, not to mention individual peices take anno differently. Hell there is a lot of variation in vintage Colt or other anodizing, so to expect any small batch to meet some perfect ideal is really not always going to happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did they ever get the colours right such that one doesn't have to do "oil treatments" and such to get them to look correct?

I'm talking about the guys dipping them in motor oil and such to darken them.

I'm also not expecting some perfect ideal, just falling within the range that Colts can be found in.  If they're within that range without need for anything being done after the fact, then all is well.  I just wish that the old grey colour was a more commonly available anodizing option.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Here’s a post from @mpdphil with a photo of an A2 clone lower that he had anodized by SNF. While it’s not retro gray, it looks like they matched the early FN gray upper pretty well (I think that’s the color I’m seeing). Maybe he can comment on how he worked with SNF to select the color and if he had to treat the lower somehow (like the oil bath mentioned here).
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here’s a post from @mpdphil with a photo of an A2 clone lower that he had anodized by SNF. While it’s not retro gray, it looks like they matched the early FN gray upper pretty well (I think that’s the color I’m seeing). Maybe he can comment on how he worked with SNF to select the color and if he had to treat the lower somehow (like the oil bath mentioned here).
View Quote
I just wanted a standard black anodized lower, the lighting makes it look a bit lighter. My issued A2 had a gray FN upper with a black anodized lower. SnF did an excellent job for only $70 with shipping. It only took them a day to do it, total time from mailing to receiving it back was 7 days.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
For clarity...are they doing work on completed receivers or only 80% that haven't been completed?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For clarity...are they doing work on completed receivers or only 80% that haven't been completed?

Thanks
View Quote
They do work on completed receivers as well. Here is another pic of mine that better shows the contrast between the gray FN upper and the black anodized lower.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Will they anodize a completed reciever with no markings? I stamped my initials and 01 for the first one a d my initials and 02 on the pistol grip tang.

I sent an email, but no response yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree 100%
View Quote
Me too. 100%

And damn.....dat third hole though....
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got my two 80% lowers back from SNF.  They are both black.  The pics make them look greay but they are black.  There's a scuff looking mark under the SAFE on the Colt.  The pics make it look a lot worse than it is.  I happy with the job they did.

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got my two 80% lowers back from SNF.  They are both black.  The pics make them look greay but they are black.  There's a scuff looking mark under the SAFE on the Colt.  The pics make it look a lot worse than it is.  I happy with the job they did.

]
View Quote
Who did your engraving work?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#19]
They do nice work. They did a black a4 lower for me last month. Out of the 2 grey colors, what is the closest grey to the early to mid 60s M16s?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
glad I found this thread.  Im about to mill out a engraved lower also and will need it anodized.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#21]
What’s the best way to ship them the lower? Mail or UPS?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What’s the best way to ship them the lower? Mail or UPS?
View Quote
My UPS is across town and only receive from 4-6PM during rush hour. I send a lot of things by USPS small flat rate box. And yes there rates just went up last Monday.  Final answer what is the most convenient to you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Who did your engraving work?
View Quote
@engineer5
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top