Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2023 12:22:47 AM EDT
Need some ring opinions.

I'm starting with a 30mm 4-16 scope that I believe has an objective of 44mm ( i think)

In a couple months I will be putting a Leupold MK4 or Nightforce on this and odds are it will possess a 50mm bell.

I want to mount this straight on the pic rail so I'm thinking an Extra High ring should do the trick.

QD lever or knob preferred but fastener bolt if I have to.

Note...
Weaver style will fit on the Pic rail so these can be either/or

Thanks for any recommendations.

P.s.
It absolutely positively must be USA made rings!!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a one piece cantilever mount.

You don't want to mount a ring on the handguard and "bridge the gap" and due to the compact nature of the receiver, if you mount both rings on the receiver you're going to have your scope pushed back probably too far.

This is why the cantilever mounts were invented in the first place.

Lots of US made options - ADM, MI, larue,
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-30mm-plx-cantilever-mount-1.5-pa-plx-cm-30-1.5
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
On a standard large frame AR you can make do with rings as the upper receiver is long enough that you can position the scope as needed to fit you.

The SFAR receivers are nearly identical in size to an AR15, which means a much shorter upper receiver rail.  This means you’ll have limited room to move the scope forward to set proper eye relief without “bridging the gap” with one ring on the receiver and one ring on the rail (unless you’re stupid tall and only use A2 or longer stocks).

Do yourself a favor and get a one piece cantilevered mount.  There’s a plethora of quality options available.

Also, head to the website and product page for whatever scope you’re using and search out the user manual.  Most manufacturers will publish detailed dimensional data for their scopes.  Find the OD of the objective lens  (make sure it’s the OD as the objective size advertised with most scopes is the actual lens diameter, not the OD of the objective bell) then divide it in half (convert to inches if necessary).  The answer to that is the minimum ring centerline height needed to clear the top rail on an AR.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Generally, 3" eye relief - 2" cantilever. 4" eye relief - 3" cantilever. Account for the ocular to front of turret bulge length as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO a 50mm bell on an AR-15 is too big.

I think it's too big for most bolt actions.

I like GG&G or PRI scope risers and whatever quality rings you prefer to obtain the height you prefer. I can use anything between 1.350" to 1.700". 1.400" is about perfect for me.

Most risers are .50". .900" rings gets me into my sweet spot.

I prefer to set scoped AR-15's up to shoot from prone, that's why I like a lower scope height. I have RDS set for both absolute co-witness and lower 1/3. Both work fine IMO. I have some 1-6 LPVS's set up with a higher scope centerline.

I have use Badger Ordnance, NightForce, Leupold Mk 4's, TPS and EGW and all of them have been good. I don't recommend cheap rings on a self-defense rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

If you get this one you can add this and get a forward mounted red dot at 12 o clock:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-30mm-plx-cantilever-mount-1.5-pa-plx-cm-30-1.5
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like GG&G or PRI scope risers and whatever quality rings you prefer to obtain the height you prefer. I can use anything between 1.350" to 1.700". 1.400" is about perfect for me.

I prefer to set scoped AR-15's up to shoot from prone, that's why I like a lower scope height. I have RDS set for both absolute co-witness and lower 1/3. Both work fine IMO. I have some 1-6 LPVS's set up with a higher scope centerline.

I have use Badger Ordnance, NightForce, Leupold Mk 4's, TPS and EGW and all of them have been good. I don't recommend cheap rings on a self-defense rifle.
View Quote

Most shooting will be done from the prone position with this platform.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's saying a 50mm objective lens is too large because it requires a higher centerline mount/rings, which he finds higher than ideal for prone shooting.

Most mounts are about 1.5" over the rail anyway which is fine for 50mm objective scopes, so it doesn't really make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]

LARUE

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
he's saying a 50mm objective lens is too large because it requires a higher centerline mount/rings, which he finds higher than ideal for prone shooting.

Most mounts are about 1.5" over the rail anyway which is fine for 50mm objective scopes, so it doesn't really make a difference.
View Quote

I have a x50 on my 20" DMR and it does have plenty of room to spare, with a standard height mount.  Any lower mount and would I have to scrunch my face into the stock.  My stock also has an adjustable comb so I can get higher if need be, but can't go lower.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a x50 on my 20" DMR and it does have plenty of room to spare, with a standard height mount.  Any lower mount and would I have to scrunch my face into the stock.  My stock also has an adjustable comb so I can get higher if need be, but can't go lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

borderpatrol probably has a cheek structure that puts his eyeline lower naturally, making 1.5 seem high to him in the prone.

i was just explaining the comment, not endorsing his point of view.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
borderpatrol probably has a cheek structure that puts his eyeline lower naturally, making 1.5 seem high to him in the prone.

i was just explaining the comment, not endorsing his point of view.
View Quote

I was not taking exception, was just providing reinforcement.  Perhaps was not clear enough on that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Got this to the range over the weekend on SFAR, does the job and is very lightweight. No QD however.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralight-30mm-extended-scope-mount
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got this to the range over the weekend on SFAR, does the job and is very lightweight. No QD however.

View Quote

Where is this made?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where is this made?
View Quote
Check the specs at the link.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an Aero mount on my DMR, never will buy one again.  Royal PITA to keep the reticle plumb and level while torquing down.  Their durability has also come into question.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Scalarworks or bust imo. I like them more than my adm or LaRue mounts.

Leap 08
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have an Aero mount on my DMR, never will buy one again.  Royal PITA to keep the reticle plumb and level while torquing down.  Their durability has also come into question.
View Quote
I put the aero SPR mount on my SFAR. I wanted as lightweight as possible and its not a take to war gun for me so I can tolerate a little less stout build.

It was a pain to get the scope installed... I tried it 6 or 7 times with rotating the scope on purpose to compensate before I had it just right after the rings were torqued down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
LaRue
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Scalarworks or bust imo. I like them more than my adm or LaRue mounts.

Leap 08
View Quote

I like my Scalarworks also
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I appreciate all the replies so far...

First thing....
I've plenty of room on the receiver and between the adjustment turrets and objective start/magnification adjustment...
I can get that scope where I need it to accommodate eye relief, charging handle clearance, all whilst staying on the receiver pic rail.

I'm going to go with the Warne 217LM
It's an ultra high QD ring 30mm

Where will this put the scope on plane?
The specs within the specs.

The battle sights on there now are a perfect height for me.
The specs on those are 1.5" high deployed.
Am even more important spec on the battle sight is from the center of peep sight to the top of the rail measures 1.42"

The Warne 217LM is a 30mm ring..
Top of rail to bottom of the Ring opening is .850
The radius of the ring opening (30mm) is .59055
The very center of the Warne ring from the top of the rail is 1.44055

In other words nearly spot on from center of ring vs. Center of peep on the battle sight. Twenty thousands difference is negligible.

I will mount this tomorrow afternoon and report back.

Thx
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Only ring id do is ring up the retailer and ask to return. Those things have been junk so far, which blows cuz i want on so badly.

On a more serious note.. larue is my go to
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the replies so far...

First thing....
I've plenty of room on the receiver and between the adjustment turrets and objective start/magnification adjustment...
I can get that scope where I need it to accommodate eye relief, charging handle clearance, all whilst staying on the receiver pic rail.

I'm going to go with the Warne 217LM
It's an ultra high QD ring 30mm

Where will this put the scope on plane?
The specs within the specs.

The battle sights on there now are a perfect height for me.
The specs on those are 1.5" high deployed.
Am even more important spec on the battle sight is from the center of peep sight to the top of the rail measures 1.42"

The Warne 217LM is a 30mm ring..
Top of rail to bottom of the Ring opening is .850
The radius of the ring opening (30mm) is .59055
The very center of the Warne ring from the top of the rail is 1.44055

In other words nearly spot on from center of ring vs. Center of peep on the battle sight. Twenty thousands difference is negligible.

I will mount this tomorrow afternoon and report back.

Thx
View Quote

Height wise you should be fine, generally a 1.5”, 1.7” or 1.93” centerline heights are preferred on AR platforms, depending on the set up and personal preference. As others have mentioned you may not be able to get proper eye relief with those rings, a cantilevered forward mount is commonly used on ARs to push forward enough. Especially since the SFAR receiver is shorter than most other .308 size uppers (you don’t want to bridge the gap and put a ring out on the forend).
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top