Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2021 1:58:47 PM EDT
Hey all.
I’ve decided I’m going to build an SBR soon. I threw some ideas together on a previous forum and was basically told I have no idea what I was doing (which is completely true)
Since then I’ve gotten some new ideas that I think will work together.
My SBR is going to be a CQB weapon. Either 11.5” or 10.5” 5.56. I’m planning on getting a Daniel defense barrel.
What barrel length would you guys suggest? I’ve heard the 10.5 is less reliable and less accurate at further distances but does the extra one inch 11.5 really have that much better reliability and accuracy?
Also I’m thinking of eventually adding a suppressor. The rail will be a 10” Geissele MK4 federal. If I do decide to go with a 10.5” barrel will a Surefire warcomp and a suppressor fit flush against the rail with the remaining .5”?
So far here is my list of things I’ve come up with (still a work in progress)
Geissele stripped upper and lower

MVB INDUSTRIES ARC-X Stock Multi Pos Ver.1 with torque wrench

Radian SD

Some sort of BCG

Daniel Defense stripped barrel

Geissele 10" Super Modular Rail MK4 Federal M-LOK (I’d have to buy their barrel nut wrench and the nitride super gas block)

Surefire Warcomp 3 prong with maybe a suppressor

Geissele SSP curved

Geissele trigger guard

Radian Ambi safety selector

EOTECH or Aimpoint as of now I’m leaning towards an EO
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I will offer what I have in my SBR, I have a DD V7S with a 11.5" barrel.  It also installed a Geissele SSP trigger, a fantastic single stage trigger...

As far as 10.3" vs 11.5", there is a lot of discussion here on this and IMO, I like the 11.5" barrel length....

I think you are heading in the right direction, but I would lean towards the 11.5" barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will offer what I have in my SBR, I have a DD V7S with a 11.5" barrel.  It also installed a Geissele SSp trigger, a fantastic single stage trigger...

As far as 10.3" vs 11.5", there is a lot of discussion here on this and IMO, I like the 11.5" barrel length....

I think you are heading in the right direction, but I would lean towards the 11.5" barrel length.
View Quote

Yea I think that’s the road I’ll be taking. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
When I built my 556 sbr, I went the 11.5" barrel but the 9mm got the 10.5" You would do fine with either, just your personal choice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Strong choices. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Daniel 10.3 barrels. Don't buy the internet crap about reliability, it's hogwash and old info. Although I also run a Knights 11.5 suppressed, I still prefer my MK18. Regardless, can't go wrong either way. My vote is DD or Criterion in those 2 sizes.

Don't cheap out on the BCG. I may be about to sell a JP BCG :)  

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Between those two, 11.5".

I don't have an 11.5", but I do have a 10.5" and a 12.5".
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got 3 AR-15 SBR's, and a couple spare uppers with different length barrels.  10.3/5 is my least favorite.  11.5 is good.  12.5 is a sweet spot for me.  14.5 Colt socom is the most accurate, but it's getting a little long, especially if I mount my SiCo omega suppresser.  I'd recommend 11.5 or 12.5.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You start dumping a shit ton of velocity under 11” bbl’s
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh..... buy a high quality BCG. Pressures run high
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
@Linear5

Even though I recommended a 11.5" barrel and still stand by this, the three fimest looking SBRs made today are the DD MK18, the KAC 11.5" and KAC 14.5", i had to be upfront  
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Strong choices. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Daniel 10.3 barrels. Don't buy the internet crap about reliability, it's hogwash and old info. Although I also run a Knights 11.5 suppressed, I still prefer my MK18. Regardless, can't go wrong either way. My vote is DD or Criterion in those 2 sizes.

Don't cheap out on the BCG. I may be about to sell a JP BCG :)  

View Quote

Yea I’m thinking about getting a Daniel defense BCG. Still have plenty of time. I haven’t even started the paperwork for the tax stamp yet. Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh..... buy a high quality BCG. Pressures run high
View Quote

Yep. I’m looking into a Daniel Defense BCG. Not sure if that’s a good one but since it’s DD I feel like I can trust them. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
DD makes very good stuff....their BCGs are nearly impossible to find,  I have been on their "notify me" email list for months now....was actually on y laptop when I got the email, within 10 seconds clicked on the website to order and sold out.

After going thru this at least 8 or nine times, I called DD and the guy on the other end of the phone said people sit at their computers all day long, refreshing and will order 10-100 of these to resell.   What a bunch of crap

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
10.3" been running reliably for the last 20 yrs if done correctly, which isn't that hard to source.

CD
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top