Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2023 4:50:11 PM EDT
I can shoot this fairly well by getting a cheek weld on the tube, nothing on the shoulder. It does get a little painful on the jaw muscle.  Is there a product to cushion the side of the tube, but not the end so no one gets any wrong ideas?   Or has anyone here repurposed some foam tubing; and what ID is the best for fitting on the SB3 tube?

I don't want a knob on the end, and I want a long buffer tube. Any of the experts here (I am NOT one) have a setup to get where I want to go?

Like this. It's surprisingly effective without the shoulder. And yes, this is in response to Ohio's "No loaded rifle in a vehicle" rule. 300 AAC car gun.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Paracord wrap is probably the simplest way on a 5- or 6-pos buffer tube.  There are round tubes with a foam sleeve which are my prefered non-brace option.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed on the paracord wrap.  You might even be able to find some pool noodle to stick on it.

And yeah, the whole ruling is stupid.  Nothing about the weapon itself changes, but it is somehow now less dangerous without the brace.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#3]
you might look at the KAK 8 1/2" buffer tube for the SB15.... it is 1.175" diameter... the end plate needs to have the alignment stud removed as it just screws on without a castle nub... correct length with end plate to trap the buffer detent

if you tap the rear take down pin's spring and plunger hole for a set screw, you can use a regular rifle tube, just remove the rear " hexhead" section of the tube if needed... it will capture the buffer detent, but needs a carbine end plate to be removed
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
KAK 8 1/2" buffer tube for the SB15
View Quote

If that has been extended to the rear, beyond which is necessary for the buffer to reciprocate it may not pass muster.  I have a 9" extended tube on my 26.5" OAL "firearm" with a 10.5" barrel and according to the doc it is now verboten as it adds un-necessary length that is not required for function of the action and contributes to the ability to "shoulder" the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#5]
s4s4u.... has the carbine length tube, then been officially designated the default measurement?....  the 8 1/2 tube is internally machined to carbine dimensions if my memory is correct, with the remaining length solid, with through drain hole....can be easily shortened..I like that product as it has the reinforced shoulder where it screws into the lower,  is round and does not have the rib with adjustment holes in it .

it would be nice to have an exact length in case the ruling is not thrown out by the court actions....
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.  I am trying not to spend too much money on the hopes this gets tossed, but I can't carry a potential felony around in my car.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I was under the impression that any pistol buffer tube that was "readily convertible" to accept a brace or stock was a no go?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Bravo32... I would suggest that the ruling was directed at the more prevalent collapsible carbine length tubes, rather than specifically a shorter pistol tube...typical governmental obfuscation... just give us a maximum allowable length for the tube, and from where it is measured... please correct me, though, I'm old and get pissed when I think about this administration's attempts to circumvent the legislative process... I have a registered SBR and my pistol upper is listed on the addendum sheet for the revocable trust, so not a complete waste..... regards
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
s4s4u.... has the carbine length tube, then been officially designated the default measurement?....  the 8 1/2 tube is internally machined to carbine dimensions if my memory is correct, with the remaining length solid, with through drain hole....can be easily shortened..I like that product as it has the reinforced shoulder where it screws into the lower,  is round and does not have the rib with adjustment holes in it .

it would be nice to have an exact length in case the ruling is not thrown out by the court actions....
View Quote

Not sure if "default measurement" but they made it clear that one is not required to replace the "carbine" buffer tube once the brace is removed.  There are also references to round "pistol" tubes of approximately 6-1/2" length, just enough to house the spring and buffer and allow the gun to cycle.  As I understand it, anything that adds length that is not required for function is a no-go so no rifle receiver extensions or extended pistol tubes.  I am not a lawyer, but I think an 8-1/2" tube would fall into that category as well.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bravo32:
I was under the impression that any pistol buffer tube that was "readily convertible" to accept a brace or stock was a no go?
View Quote

That is not the case.  If your brace incorporates an adjustable "carbine" buffer tube, like the SBA3 et al, all you need do is remove the brace.  There are many braces that are designed to fit on a round "pistol" buffer tube, so there is no way to enforce "readily convertible".  Their answer is that you need to disable or destroy the brace, or put it on a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel.  It doesn't matter whether it makes any sense, and it doesn't.  It is gov't doing gov't shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
did you go to the home improvement stores and look at the pipe insulation some have a nice rubberized foam
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a phase5 tactical pistol buffer tube that comes with a pad.
I bought it years ago before braced pistols blew up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Dr. Scholls adhesive ‘mole foam’ (foam with mole skin covering) stuck in the right place might help.  Degrease before adhering.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 6:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#14]
I used a foam push broom handle cover on a Spikes shorty pistol tube

I've seen hockey tape, first aid tape, sports tape, paracord, and probably others I've forgotten about. Whatever works for you.

Just make sure whatever you use allows the charging handle to travel all the way to the rear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sagillman] [#15]
Is the thordsen cheek rest still kosher? I’d assume so as it was never a brace, should slip right on the tube
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sagillman:
Is the thordsen cheek rest still kosher? I’d assume so as it was never a brace, should slip right on the tube
View Quote

To my knowledge, they're okay since they don't modify the back end in any way that would create more surface area that could be misconstrued as a stock/brace.

For anyone wondering, here it is: https://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-15-snap-on-saddle-black5072-1.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Regarding shooting one, I saw a video once with a guy shooting a bufferless Sig .223 pistol equipped with a sling that he used to get a cheek weld on. He just pushed pistol away till sling was taut and rested his cheek on it.

He was popping 12 oz soda cans from 100 yards. I did same thing with an Extar EXP I had and it worked surprisingly well. The Extar is a plastic range toy that can't stand up to shooting suppressed as the pressure sheared off the plastic charging handle (easy fix).  For this reason I didn't bother to SBR it. I just keep it in back of safe with that sling attached. It's still fun to take out from time to time and blast away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thordsen wrote a letter to AFT asking for clarification.  Not sure if they got that yet.  The only issue "might" be adding surface area to the rear of the buffer tube.  I say might, becasue as long as it doesn't add length it "might" be okay.  Clear as mud, as so many things are with this new rule.

ETA:  From their FB page

I just pinged our ATF Rep again to get a status update on the Cheek Rest re-affirmation. 1/11/23 was the last time I pinged and they responded saying 90 days which is approaching fast. We'll see!!
In the meantime, we have acquired three more 3D printers and have cranked out hundreds of snap on cheek rests in anticipation of handling the load!! Getting other needed supplies (post Covid) is still a big issue.
Alan Thordsen
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#19]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
Regarding shooting one, I saw a video once with a guy shooting a bufferless Sig .223 pistol equipped with a sling that he used to get a cheek weld on. He just pushed pistol away till sling was taut and rested his cheek on it.

He was popping 12 oz soda cans from 100 yards. I did same thing with an Extar EXP I had and it worked surprisingly well. The Extar is a plastic range toy that can't stand up to shooting suppressed as the pressure sheared off the plastic charging handle (easy fix).  For this reason I didn't bother to SBR it. I just keep it in back of safe with that sling attached. It's still fun to take out from time to time and blast away.
View Quote

Been doing this for years.  Then the brace thing happened.  I even use the same method with my T/C Contender pistol that has a rifle scope on it, push-pull.  Push against the sling with your grip hand while pulling back slightly with your support hand.  The buffer tube adds a 3rd point of contact which really helps to steady the shot, even when just holding against the cheek.

ETA:  This also shoots holes in the AFT determination that a short eye relief "scope" can only be used with a shoulder stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Been doing this for years.  Then the brace thing happened.  I even use the same method with my T/C Contender pistol that has a rifle scope on it, push-pull.  Push against the sling with your grip hand while pulling back slightly with your support hand.  The buffer tube adds a 3rd point of contact which really helps to steady the shot, even when just holding against the cheek.

ETA:  This also shoots holes in the AFT determination that a short eye relief "scope" can only be used with a shoulder stock.
View Quote

Nice!!!!  Shot a friend's T/C pistol chambered in .45/70, once. Just once. That was enough. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice!!!!  Shot a friend's T/C pistol chambered in .45/70, once. Just once. That was enough. LOL!!!
View Quote

Haha, I had a barrel in 45/70.  Keyword HAD
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I put a phase 5 smooth tube on one of my ARs.  It's allegedly not that uncomfortable to shoot when inadvertently shouldered, but you'll be NTCH for sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Larry Vickers has it demonstrated here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3haKUPEj4U

God invented EOTech for these unconventional positions & dynamic use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
A Phase 5 foam buffer tube cover is what you want:

Phase 5 foam buffer tube cover
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Dferg10:
A Phase 5 foam buffer tube cover is what you want:

Phase 5 foam buffer tube cover
View Quote

Ordered, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

Ordered, thanks!
View Quote

You may already know this: if you use a compressed air can with the nozzle to install and remove buffer tube foam covers it makes it fast and easy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dferg10:

You may already know this: if you use a compressed air can with the nozzle to install and remove buffer tube foam covers it makes it fast and easy.
View Quote

Tried this trick today and it works quite well!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: opositive] [#28]
bueno. i have not been shooting for a while and was wondering what to do with some hypothetical ar pistols that someone might have in their possession.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Old exercise equipment often has durable grip covers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
Old exercise equipment often has durable grip covers.
View Quote

Can buy 'em here
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#31]
send $30 to FPC and put the brace back on, you’ll be covered by the injunction.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ElliotAbrahms:
send $30 to FPC and put the brace back on, you’ll be covered by the injunction.
View Quote

You don't even need to send them money, but it would be nice.  Everybody should join FPC regardless
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]
These fit over a milspec tube and the end is open.

Charging handle just barely touches them though.  Could trim or sand down but not worth it to me for a range gun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVR2Y8WT
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

And yeah, the whole ruling is stupid.  Nothing about the weapon itself changes, but it is somehow now less dangerous without the brace.  
View Quote

The whole SBR thing is stupid.
NFA was a handgun and machine gun control law. They added cut down long guns to prevent bypassing the handgun restrictions.
Then they removed the handgun restrictions which necessitated the SBR/SBS restrictions, but did not remove the SBR/SBS restrictions.
Now, suddenly, your granddad's Buntline revolver is worth ten years in prison. But that's OK, because we're not really enforcing that law. (until the 1960s when we'll start tightening the screws on the enforcement)
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Thordsen wrote a letter to AFT asking for clarification.  Not sure if they got that yet.  The only issue "might" be adding surface area to the rear of the buffer tube.  I say might, becasue as long as it doesn't add length it "might" be okay.  Clear as mud, as so many things are with this new rule.

ETA:  From their FB page

View Quote

Thorsden got a response back, their cheek rest is NO LONGER approved. AFT says that is will make an SBR.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Thorsden got a response back, their cheek rest is NO LONGER approved. AFT says that is will make an SBR.  
View Quote

Then I expect they will join in on the many lawsuits that are working their way thru the system.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#37]

You don't even need to send them money, but it would be nice.  Everybody should join FPC regardless
View Quote

The things I have done to try and follow the RULE is exhausting and has added expense to a $375 beater.

I joined FPC and sent $50, and I will send more as I can.  I’ll go from there.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Wrap it in tennis racket grip?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Dam I had no idea of this determination. Hopefully they sue ASAP and get an injunction like the rest of the groups.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I removed the brace with tube and installed a short, plain 'pistol' tube and covered it with a foam cover made for the purpose. I also fabricated a foam 'ring' for just behind the end of the receiver in case there was more rearward motion than expected. This is just Velcro'd on because I'm pretty sure I won't need it. I made it flat on one side so it can be rotated to use the charging handle without removal if needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
That is how we were taught to shoot the MP5 pistols. And we were also taught to use the push/pull method with the short "witness protection" type shotguns we used for breaching ops.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Or...

Get a Maxim Defense Brace.  Since those are also covered under the current injunction.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#43]

AR-15 Pistol Brace to Pistol Buffer Tube Conversion
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#44]
What sissies. You Bud Light drinkers are allegedly tossing your braces, replacing receiver extensions and now resorting to pads I hope you feel appropriately shamed when you stick your chins to your pads.

Disgraceful.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:32:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#45]
Originally Posted By ARgonot:
What sissies. You Bud Light drinkers are allegedly tossing your braces, replacing receiver extensions and now resorting to pads I hope you feel appropriately shamed when you stick your chins to your pads.

Disgraceful.
View Quote

Never believed in the old saying, "try it before you knock it", as I would never EVER try gay sex.

But I do love my cheek pistol lol and I dont drink bUD lIGHT!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top