Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2019 11:37:39 AM EDT
I bought a PSA pistol kit [12", 6.5 Grendel] which came with a SBA3 brace.

This is my first AR pistol and my first brace, so no experience.

When I slipped the brace onto the buffer tube, it wouldn't slide pass the 1st indent.

It seems that the lever that is suppose to cause the button to lift up so it can slide isn't lifting enough to do so.

Is this a design flaw, a manufacturing defect or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the brace installed on the tube? You have to pull down on the lever to install it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Just like he said.  Grab the release between your thumb and index finger and pull away perpendicular from the buffer tube as you push it onto the tube.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The first position is the one closest to the receiver.  Is that the one you're talking about or the opposite extreme position?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just like he said.  Grab the release between your thumb and index finger and pull away perpendicular from the buffer tube as you push it onto the tube.
View Quote
Sometimes they can be a little difficult. If need be, place the butt against your belly, thigh, whatever, pushing against it a little, etc, while pulling the lever straight down. Should slide right on from there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It seems that the lever that is suppose to cause the button to lift up so it can slide isn't lifting enough to do so.
View Quote
This is how all sliding butt stocks are as well. It's so that you don't pull it right off the of the buffer tube when adjusting it back. You need to pull down on the pin more than with just the lever to get it past the first part. After that it should adjust like normal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Have three SBA3's. I never removed the brace from the tube, just extended and  screwed into the Lower.
Note: I just got my #3 SBA3, and the buffer tube has a notched machined into the bottom leading edge of the tube
for the tip of the  Buffer Retainer to pop through. I have not installed this #3 Brace yet so do not know how well the
"notch" works.
Any body else have a "notched" tube?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have three SBA3's. I never removed the brace from the tube, just extended and  screwed into the Lower.
Note: I just got my #3 SBA3, and the buffer tube has a notched machined into the bottom leading edge of the tube
for the tip of the  Buffer Retainer to pop through. I have not installed this #3 Brace yet so do not know how well the
"notch" works.
Any body else have a "notched" tube?
View Quote
The latest one I received had the "notched" tube.  Works fine.  Just had to push down the buffer detent a little more than normal, spin the tube and the detent pops into place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, did you get your brace installed?

I will also say that mine (on a regular MILSPEC tube) is reeeally snug once installed. It's not a problem; I know others have reported that as well - they're just snug on a regular tube. You're not gonna be zingin' it back & forth like you can some regular "stocks."
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, adjustable stocks and braces are designed so that the detent will prevent the stock from sliding all the way off the tube when adjusting. If you look at the tube you'll notice that the indents are in channel that run the length of the tube, and this channel stops short of the end of the tube. This means you'll have to overextend the lever on the brace when initially installing to get the detent to clear the portion of tube at the end that has no channel. Once cleared you can slide it on and the detent will pop in place into the channel that it will travel forward and back inside of when adjusting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks All.

It took more force than I expected, more force than I was comfortable exerting before the advice given here.

It is on now.  It is tight but functions as it should.

Having never seen on before I bought the kit and built the pistol I had no experience or reference point.

Your help is most appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks All.

It took more force than I expected, more force than I was comfortable exerting before the advice given here.

It is on now.  It is tight but functions as it should.

Having never seen on before I bought the kit and built the pistol I had no experience or reference point.

Your help is most appreciated.
View Quote
That task, depending, can require great force. Seems like the SBA3 is a mutha compared to many other. SMA3s are tight regarding collapsing / extending. To me, mostly extending. Now that you have it figured out, you can smear a light coating of lube at its friction points and work the hell out of it at your leisure. It helps a little. I sure don't see them ever getting sloppy. Glad you got it squared away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Get enough rounds downrange, and that brace will loosen up just fine.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top