Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2021 11:02:13 PM EDT
Has anyone heard of an actual case of the BATF trying to pursue any action against someone for having an SB Tactical SB15 brace on their AR platform pistol?
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
As of now there is nothing illegal about that AFAIK, yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing is illegal at the moment.
If/when such a ban goes through, there will be a zillion lawsuits.

With that said, if you are hedging, the SB15 is an "approved" brace based on the ATF's AFT's proposal.  

I have one, and an SB-SOB.  I also have a Tailhook Mod 1 C.    All of those "should" be OK...for now.

But I'm still going to rock my Tailhook Mod 2's.  Unless you are doing something illegal, or some cop/range officer has a hard on for you....I doubt people are going to go to jail over a brace....especially ones that had prior approval letters, or were sold as complete pistols on 4473's.

I really don't know what the AFT is trying to achieve here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The current administration is targeting the AR-15 for "gun control" right now, probably with an end goal to ban them all together, and then more gun controls or bans for other firearms after.  They know they can't just "ban all guns" in one fell swoop, so they are going to muddy the waters as much as possible first, and take little bites at a time.  They are somewhat emboldened by the "Assault rifle ban" that Clinton enacted and are going to start down that line because precedent was set...they already know that ban didn't cause a civil war or any serious uprisings, so they're comfortable starting there.

There are already recent bills put forth in the house that will widen the focus, such as the bill that calls for "any" rifle that has a detachable magazine to be banned....in other words, they are trying to construe  all rifles with detachable magazines into the "assault rifle" category.

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
there also going after ammo
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Biden's recent banning of the import of Russian ammo and firearms is one example.  Also, San Jose, CA became the first city in the country to tax gun owners on a yearly basis and also require them to have additional insurance.  Non compliance results in confiscation.  California already implemented Proposition 63 back in 2019, which imposes a background check every time they buy ammo at a $1 fee cost (and to clarify, this is not a NICS check, this is a CA DOJ check).  If you are not in their system, then you incur an additional $20 charge for an initial screening.  Ammo sales in CA also have to be face-to-face.  You can't order ammo online and have it shipped to your home, but it can be shipped to a licensed vendor (i.e. for an extra middleman cost).
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, Biden's recent banning of the import of Russian ammo and firearms is one example.  Also, San Jose, CA became the first city in the country to tax gun owners on a yearly basis and also require them to have additional insurance.  Non compliance results in confiscation.  California already implemented Proposition 63 back in 2019, which imposes a background check every time they buy ammo at a $1 fee cost (and to clarify, this is not a NICS check, this is a CA DOJ check).  If you are not in their system, then you incur an additional $20 charge for an initial screening.  Ammo sales in CA also have to be face-to-face.  You can't order ammo online and have it shipped to your home, but it can be shipped to a licensed vendor (i.e. for an extra middleman cost).
View Quote

I'd be driving to a nearby state
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd be driving to a nearby state
View Quote

Or a far away one.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Companies are still offering complete pistol brace models for sale.  Usually new "laws" have an effective date in the future.  However, the bump stock ban was pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think the brace itself will be banned but considered a stock.

SBR laws are pretty obsolete but once they get something we aren't getting it back easily.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard I'm going to do what I want.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I heard I'm going to do what I want.
View Quote

I heard the same thing from a very reliable source.  The source was me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m not trying to be little orphan Annie or anything but I am starting to think we could get a heavily watered down or even withdrawn reg. They’re just not ready to admit defeat yet.

Some pieces say it may not be ready to publish until into the midterm year. Seeing the volume of comments and that the movement had the oomph to kill the Chipman nomination, it has to be weighing on people that turning millions of gun owners nation wide into felons at the start of a midterm year will have consequences. Tester, Manchin and Sinema. Vacated red seat and blue Governor’s office in my (for now) pro 2a state of Pa up for grabs. Nevada looking iffy for them. Reaction to That reg could be the tipping point that sets them back everywhere next year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
From what cases I can find after an internet search it seems most if not all SBR prosecutions are an afterthought with other more serious not necessarily firearms charges in the mix. In other words against a defendant not likely to garner much sympathy. Overall the ATF is probably and I emphasize  the word probably shrewd enough to largely stay away from cases where that is(the possession/building of an SBR) is the only charge, just on political grounds.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
As a LEO, this entire brace thing blows my mind.  In my 30+ years of experience, juries are becoming more and more reluctant to convict.  I cannot even imagine trying to prosecute someone for possession of an item that was legal yesterday, but is illegal today.  That is basically what the ATF would be attempting to do.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a LEO, this entire brace thing blows my mind.  In my 30+ years of experience, juries are becoming more and more reluctant to convict.  I cannot even imagine trying to prosecute someone for possession of an item that was legal yesterday, but is illegal today.  That is basically what the ATF would be attempting to do.
View Quote

I'm curious how most local LEOs view the whole Brace/SBR issue and the like. I'm sure their attitudes reflect whatever community they serve. I.E. some from New Jersey may look differently than say here in Oklahoma. In the end is it only Federal law enforcement in general and the ATF in particular that really pursue these cases? Makes sense for Federal laws. I'm mean what we as a citizenry really care about are felons in possession and other violent crimes committed with a firearm.

On a side note what blows my mind is some of the dumbassery that some post on YouTube for the world to see. And they're surprised when the Feds do come knocking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#16]
In south Georgia, most LEO view the entire pistol brace issue as ridiculous. In general, we view most of the NFA as an infringement on the constitutional rights of our citizens. The restriction on fully automatic weapons is generally accepted as understandable. But suppressors, SBR's and short barreled shotguns being restricted is ridiculous. We only prosecute state laws and local ordinances but often work with federal agencies, mostly the DEA, Secret Service, FBI and rarely the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In south Georgia, most LEO view the entire pistol brace issue as ridiculous. In general, we view most of the NFA as an infringement on the constitutional rights of our citizens. The restriction on fully automatic weapons is generally accepted as understandable. But suppressors, SBR's and short barreled shotguns being restricted is ridiculous. We only prosecute state laws and local ordinances but often work with federal agencies, mostly the DEA, Secret Service, FBI and rarely the ATF.
View Quote

That's good to hear. I have a few fellow veterans I served with downrange of whom some are in the LEO world and some not and we laugh at the irony of how we managed to carry and operate our M-4s which are both an SBR and automatic even around children and in schools and we did so responsibly. Somehow in our own country we can't be trusted. That said most are on the same page that the NFA should deal with automatic weapons and leave the rest out. We also agree given the cost of ammo we couldn't afford to shoot full auto anyway LOL
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/254520.pdf

A little dry reading but it gives a little insight on firearms prosecutions from 2000-2016
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Why draw the line at machine guns?  Why draw that line at all?  Shall not be infringed.  Do you really think if a criminal wants full auto that some law is going to prevent it?

The ATF, the NFA and the GCA all need to go away.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
there also going after ammo
View Quote

They're
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They're
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Recently sold my complete Springfield Saint Victor pistol in .300blk. But I've still got 5 pistols (4 are also Springfield Saints) that were purchased complete and legally. Therefore they are legally mine and will remain MINE for as long as I decide to keep them. That status won't be changing. There will be a line in the sand drawn in a circle around me that will go wherever I go. They can pass laws outlawing future sales of these things (though I'm not cool with that). But by God they will not remove my LEGAL right to continue owning items that were legally purchased long before any such unconstitutional bullshit edicts were made.

Gandalf:  "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Recently sold my complete Springfield Saint Victor pistol in .300blk. But I've still got 5 pistols (4 are also Springfield Saints) that were purchased complete and legally. Therefore they are legally mine and will remain MINE for as long as I decide to keep them. That status won't be changing. There will be a line in the sand drawn in a circle around me that will go wherever I go. They can pass laws outlawing future sales of these things (though I'm not cool with that). But by God they will not remove my LEGAL right to continue owning items that were legally purchased long before any such unconstitutional bullshit edicts were made.

Gandalf:  "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"
View Quote

I hear what you are saying...but yeah...yeah....about that.....

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm beginning to think (dangerous I know) that with SCOTUS hearing a gun law case the AFT is also looking at the the outcome to find out which way the legal winds are blowing. Granted the case isn't about the NFA but the decision could give a broader read on how the court views firearms restrictions in general. I think the court will rule sometime next spring and as was alluded to earlier right into the run up to the midterm elections.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top