Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2023 6:42:03 PM EDT
I tested out my new 14.5” Geissele URGI upper today on my BCM lower. I had a few issues that I’ve never ran into before as I’ve owned 5 Geissele ARs in the past and never experienced what i did today. I was wondering if yall could help me out.

The ammo used for my range day was PMC Bronze .223 55 grain and some Fioccci .223 62 grain.

First issue arose when I was using a 10 round PMAG. I inserted the mag (loaded with 10 rounds of Fiocchi .223 62 gr. Ammo) and dropped the bolt, squeeze the trigger, trigger clicks, nothing…. The round never fired. I take the mag out, and the unfired round is stuck in the chamber. Gun had to be to be mortared to get the live round out. (again this was with the Fiocchi ammo) I then tried again with now 9 rounds in the mag, SAME result. Gun had to be mortared to extract the live round.

The Second issue I experienced was when the extractor ripped the rim of the casting off only where the extractor grabs the casing and the spent round casing had to be removed by the shop whose range i was using. This was JUST the casing as the round DID fire this time. This issue happened with a 30 round duramag loaded with 20 rounds of the Fiocchi 62 gr .223 ammo.

I then loaded 20 rounds of PMC BRONZE .223 55gr. Ammo into a 30 round PMAG and did a quick mag dump to test function and it cycled fine without any issues.

Any ideas? Im lost
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
first thing I'd do is check the headspacing.  with headspace gauges.  not scotch tape.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I contacted Geissele. Hopefully I hear back this week. I only live 12 minutes from them. The same ammo worked flawlessly in my AUG. So I’m guessing there is a problem with the URGI upper. Appreciate the input. I’ve been researching this since i got home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I would vote the chamber didn't get finish reamed.
I ran into a similar issue with my first AR.
Very frustrating situation!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad barrel.  I had two…
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Those barrels are hammer forged with the chamber in the forging. They are not running reamers into blanks.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you inspect the fired cases to see if it bending or tearing rims?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a super duty upper that was doing the exact same thing.  They replaced the barrel and covered shipping both ways.  Took about 2 weeks total
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are mortaring factory ammo from a new barrel, there is a 90% chance it has insufficient headspace.

Did you scrub the chamber and clean the bore prior to your first range visit? Many factory barrels have preservatives to prevent rust that need to be removed prior to shooting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm having same issues again after sending the upper back once. It was shooting fine for about a mag and then it just seized up hard.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top