Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2024 11:26:06 AM EDT
I have a neighbor interested in a tack driving 204 Ruger AR15.
I did a Build Sheet on mine with current parts pricing. I had no idea what the build total cost would be when I started the Build Sheet.
This AR15 is what I consider to be an "Economy" Accuracy Build. Quality Barrel, Nice Trigger, and the remainder Good Solid Parts.

204 Ruger AR15
UPPER
Barrel 24” White Oak 1-10 Twist w/1/2-28 Muzzle Thread:     $465
Muzzle Brake 3 Port (Jerry Miculek)                                      $65
Upper Receiver Completely Assembled  (AR Stoner):            $100
Adjustable Gas Fixture (Seekins Low Profile):                        $66
Handguard 15” MLOC (Stern Defense):                              $120
Bolt Carrier Group (AR Stoner 223 Mil Spec):                       $160
Charging Handle (AR Stoner):                                             $25
Extended Charging Handle Latch (Badger):                           $19
Gas Tube, Rifle Length:                                                       $12
Dust Cover Custom, 204 Ruger Marked (Custom Dust Covers): $20
Bipod Adapter MLOC (Yankee Hill):                                        $34
                                                                       TOTAL    $1,086
LOWER
Lower Receiver, Anderson w/Integral Trigger Guard: $65
Lower Receiver Parts Set wo/Trigger or Grip:            $35
Rifle Buffer Assembly “Extreme Duty” (AR Stoner)     $65
Trigger Two Stage #2-1/2 (Stern Defense):             $150
Extended Take Down Pins (Yankee Hill):                    $21
Butt Stock Rifle (MagPul MOE):                                $67
Pistol Grip (MagPul MOE):                                        $20
                                                              TOTAL   $423
SCOPE
SWFA 20X Super Sniper:                                   $300
Scope Mount Cantilever (Leupold MK AR 30mm):   $85
Scope Caps (Butler Creek):                                  $20
Bubble Level 30mm (Anti-Cant Device)                  $25
                                                           Total    $430
BIPOD
Harris Swivel BR Notch Leg                                $119
Pod Loc                                                            $15
                                                            Total  $134

Grand Total  $2,073

I already had the White Oak Barrel, Muzzle Brake, Scope, Anti Cant Device, Scope Caps, and the Bipod on hand when I started this build.
Ordering a few parts here, and a few more from somewhere else, and a few more parts to finish it. I had no idea of how much money I had inversed in parts over a few months on multiple builds.  I have several builds pretty much identical parts wise, and I had never added up the cost of the parts before, or listed what parts that I had used. As I said above, this is what I consider to be an Economy Accuracy Build. Using Boutique Uppers and Lowers, a nicer MagPul PRS Stock, and a Handguard like the Geissele MK-8, plus a better Scope, you could spend much more easily. In my opinion better Glass would be the only REAL Accuracy improvement that could be made spending more $$$. I do have better Glass than the 20X Super Sniper on some of my Rifles. The SWFA Super Sniper is still a pretty good bargain in a solid scope. I have had several of them for years with no issues.

After doing lots of research on parts, I pretty much had an Economy Build Plan in mind the last year or so building new, and upgrading what I had. I have always recommended Spending Money on the Barrel. Then select Quality Parts that are not over priced for the rest of the build. The end results are that I have several AR15 that shoot very well without doing what I consider to be overspending on them. AND I have exactly what I want my AR15 to be.

I really like the MagPul MOE Rifle Stock, and have it on all of my AR15's to include my 22LR one. I shoot off a bench a lot, and they work for me. I always clean at the Range. I like the Yankee Hill Extended Take Down Pins for the ease of opening the gun up. Not mentioned was the Brass Catcher Base. I have a Brass Catcher that moves from AR to AR at the Range. This keeps me from loosing 204 Ruger, 22 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 300 HAM'R, and 5.56 Brass. After looking over several Cantilever Scope Bases I decided the Leupold MK AR was the best value in a quality base. I have a few different Handguards. I like the Stern Defense pretty well for the money. I have Four of the Stern Defense Cassette Triggers. With the light spring installed they are all approximately 2.5 pounds. I have a Jewel and a JP also. The Stern Defense Cassette is a very nice trigger for the money in my opinion.

After getting it out of the safe to verify the Build Parts, I think I will take it to the Range this afternoon and shoot it, and my 6.5 Grendel.

Bob R
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about adding the .204 Ruger to the stable.  The velocity sure is appealing.  However, I'm not a varmint hunter, so I have a hard time justifying the .204 when I have a CLE-barreled AR that I could use to shoot lighter bullets.  

OP, I look forward to your experience with the .204.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:44:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobR1] [#2]
I have had the barrel for several years. My brother and I built a pair of Krieger Barreled 5.56's  several years ago to shoot a Sniper Match with targets from 100 - 600 yards. We decided that the 204 would work even better against bolt guns, so we rebarreled them with White Oak 204 barrels. The 204's shot like a Laser. The Sniper Match was replaced with a PRS Match, and we quit shooting them. The Gun set in the safe for years. I broke it down, and reinstalled the Krieger 5.56 barrel, and did an parts upgrade, and modernization on the original gun. After a while I decided to rebuild the 204 Ruger again with the parts listed above.

It should be a Coyote killing piece of machinery.

It has shot a steady diet of 40 grain V-Max bullets it's entire life. It has never fired a factory round.

I have a Compass Lake 6.5 Grendel Build that I have not fired yet. I did get some ammunition loaded for it today.

Bob R
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top