Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2024 1:25:58 AM EDT
I found an archived thread of one of our members making some retro pistol braces. Does anyone know who I can get in touch with to get some or point me in the right direction where to get a few similar to those made in the past? I already know about the KAK shockwave brace but want more of a retro look. Thanks.

Here is the older thread for reference: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Retro-style-pistol-Blade-Brace-wasn-t-someone-here-working-on-these-/123-744656/?page=1
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Big Rick at ar180parts
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool!

A link was posted on the last page of that thread. Looks to still be good:

https://ar180parts.com/product/n23-pistol-brace/
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Please note, these have not been sent to the ATF for approval and I have no plans to do so. They follow other brace designs and vary only in their side profile to have a certain look. Use at your own risk.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Red McCloud was another member offering them
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#6]
Those 3D printed pistol braces look just like Colt N1 stock without the end plate portion. I am not sure about legality, but can one just buy a $30 M&A CAR15 stock and Dremel out the end plate piece to call it a pistol brace???
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mlin:
Those 3D printed pistol braces look just like Colt N1 stock without the end plate portion. I am not sure about legality, but can one just buy a $30 M&A CAR15 stock and Dremel out the end plate piece to call it a pistol brace???
View Quote

I'm a garbage man not a lawyer but...

Of course one CAN do that but just because you cut bits off, don't make it a brace to the alphabets, and that's who we're trying to appease. It'd just be a trans stock which may or may not help your defense in a possible federal lawsuit.

The 3D printed ones had "Brace Only" printed in which honestly probably don't mean squat to the feds.

It's the excrement we deal with.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
No, it was made by the manufacturer to be a stock, so it's always a stock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mtbrass] [#9]
I just received two N1 pistol braces from AR180parts.com today, I'm absolutely impressed with them.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
nice. does it comes with the adjustment lever and screws or does that needed to be added? Is there a hole in the brace to add one? In the pictures it shows it with and without the adjustment lever.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By moon_pigeon:
nice. does it comes with the adjustment lever and screws or does that needed to be added? Is there a hole in the brace to add one? In the pictures it shows it with and without the adjustment lever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
From the item description:

This comes as a "brace body only" you will need to provide your own pin, spring, lever, & nut. I find that a cheap butt stock from somewhere like cdnnsports.com works best.

The last two photos show a fully assembled brace with hardware from a generic M4 stock. This hardware is NOT INCLUDED!

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Cal30M1:

Of course one CAN do that but just because you cut bits off, don't make it a brace to the alphabets, and that's who we're trying to appease. It'd just be a trans stock which may or may not help your defense in a possible federal lawsuit.

The 3D printed ones had "Brace Only" printed in which honestly probably don't mean squat to the feds.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cal30M1:

The ATF ruled that all pistol braces were illegal SBR's. The two injunctions against that ruling is why I put braces back on my AR pistols.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Just wait for the H&Rs braces, been told by Mike of NDS they will be sold separately soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

View All Quotes

This comes as a "brace body only" you will need to provide your own pin, spring, lever, & nut. I find that a cheap butt stock from somewhere like cdnnsports.com works best.

The last two photos show a fully assembled brace with hardware from a generic M4 stock. This hardware is NOT INCLUDED!

You can also get all of the parts needed at Damage Industries.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes

A brace based on a stock design is always going to be a stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mtbrass] [#16]
View Quote

Both of the braces I received came with adjustment levers, they match the braces perfectly.

As far as the screw and spring, I'm using some from stocks I have laying around.

There are holes in the brace to mount the levers, just like a standard stock has.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've ordered a couple of these from Rick.  They are very nice, but FRAGILE.  They have a tendency to split in cross-section, where the tube ends if handled too roughly.  I've got very high hopes for what H&R had displayed at SHOT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gurn-blanston] [#18]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nehi:

I'm curious, where does it say that?  It might very well be a policy letter clarifying a regulation under a law, but which ones?

Edit:  
I was looking for definitions in
26 usc 5845
27 CFR 478
27 CFR 479
ATF Rul 2011-4 (ATF Rul are their further interpretations, but not enforceable as such)

And I can't seem to find any mention of your "once a rifle stock always a rifle stock" declaration.

The only place close is the ATF worksheet that was in the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking  that was blocked by a Federal judge last November; (braced pistols are being sold again by major manufacturers.)
 In that rule worksheet it mentions that a brace is a stock if it's based on any known stock designs.  Very vague, and couldn't any designed brace using a regular receiver tube be interpreted as a stock then?
Doesn't matter, judge threw it out.  

So I'm still wondering "where does it say that?" Maybe an ATF Rul note somewhere?

If your argument is the ATF will charge you and it is then your problem etc, then I would mention that once you are in their sights, it doesn't matter how compliant you think you are.  

That's how it works, they charge you with all kinds of stuff to beat you down into copping a deal and pleading to something; they get a conviction, you get some of your life back versus financial ruin, years of court cases, forfeiture of assets etc.

Then don't own any guns.  Better not rent one at a range either.  A man with known terrorist ties, let into the US legally got busted for prohibited person in possession of a firearm since he went to a gun range to shoot a rented gun.  It's okay though, they said he had terrorist ties...

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
Big Rick at ar180parts
View Quote

Seconded, Rick is a standup guy

I picked up both the N-23 brace and the uSOPMOD brace from him. The micro was damaged and he sent a new one out
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
PSA (H&R) is bringing out a car-15 style brace. I have handled it amd it is really nice and at 5 feet looks just like a CAR stock

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

nice. i just kinda dont like the 3D printed look of the options out right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got one of them and I've been wondering what kind of finish can be applied to them to give them the appearance of having the coating found on the aluminum stocks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
I've got one of them and I've been wondering what kind of finish can be applied to them to give them the appearance of having the coating found on the aluminum stocks.
View Quote

I was wondering too and thought Plasti Dip might give that look.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The H&R "brace" stocks we could see hit the market in a few weeks/months. They don't look too bad.

We're into Alternative Energy *H&R DOE*
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah! That looks pretty slick!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By gurn-blanston:

I'm curious, where does it say that?  It might very well be a policy letter clarifying a regulation under a law, but which ones?

Edit:  
I was looking for definitions in
26 usc 5845
27 CFR 478
27 CFR 479
ATF Rul 2011-4 (ATF Rul are their further interpretations, but not enforceable as such)

And I can't seem to find any mention of your "once a rifle stock always a rifle stock" declaration.

The only place close is the ATF worksheet that was in the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking  that was blocked by a Federal judge last November; (braced pistols are being sold again by major manufacturers.)
 In that rule worksheet it mentions that a brace is a stock if it's based on any known stock designs.  Very vague, and couldn't any designed brace using a regular receiver tube be interpreted as a stock then?
Doesn't matter, judge threw it out.  

So I'm still wondering "where does it say that?" Maybe an ATF Rul note somewhere?

If your argument is the ATF will charge you and it is then your problem etc, then I would mention that once you are in their sights, it doesn't matter how compliant you think you are.  

That's how it works, they charge you with all kinds of stuff to beat you down into copping a deal and pleading to something; they get a conviction, you get some of your life back versus financial ruin, years of court cases, forfeiture of assets etc.

Then don't own any guns.  Better not rent one at a range either.  A man with known terrorist ties, let into the US legally got busted for prohibited person in possession of a firearm since he went to a gun range to shoot a rented gun.  It's okay though, they said he had terrorist ties...

View Quote

Don't try and be your own lawyer

The ATF stopped issuing 'is it a brace or not' determinations prior to the release of the drafted 'points' sheets, which was prior to R2021-08.

You're not going to be able to know for sure whether something is a brace or not, and frankly it's still dangerously uncharted territory we are in given the present litigation and 'last ditch' efforts of the ATF to squash the appellate circuit court's ruling by way of lawsuits. I don't know why the 2A industry as a whole was so exceedingly quick across the board to jump back onto the bandwagon of making braces again, frankly it's just because of a money-making tactic: 'sell 'em fast and deep while you can, stack 'em cheap when you can't for when you maybe can again'. They have nothing to lose in the matter, only you do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Shane733:
The H&R "brace" stocks we could see hit the market in a few weeks/months. They don't look too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjgw2kJF_5Y
View Quote

H&R mentioned in one of the other threads that they SHOULD be out sometime in March.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aedavis] [#28]

I was wondering too and thought Plasti Dip might give that look.  
View Quote

Here's my Red McCloud 3D printed brace that I coated in black Plasti Dip.  It turned out okay, but the finish isn't as smooth as the replica XM stock that it's sitting next to.  Plasti Dip goes on with a texture.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for trying that and posting.  
   When I did fakelite finishes on 3D printed parts, I had to do a lot of sanding to remove the lines.  I wonder if that would help.
  How does it feel?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By aedavis:

Here's my Red McCloud 3D printed brace that I coated in black Plasti Dip.  It turned out okay, but the finish isn't as smooth as the replica XM stock that it's sitting next to.  Plasti Dip goes on with a textured.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53572867500_ae49b20259_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53572750639_b02dcd6994_b.jpg
View Quote

thats pretty good actually. i would try sanding it, then laying down a layer of primer, then plastidip if i go this route. thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mtomso7464] [#31]
Thanks for trying that and posting.  
   When I did fakelite finishes on 3D printed parts, I had to do a lot of sanding to remove the lines.  I wonder if that would help.
  How does it feel?
View Quote

With some of the filament used for 3d printing you can place it in a how oven for a short while, or use a heat gun, and it will smooth it out.  You might experiment with a smaller item.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:36:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aedavis] [#32]
To answer some of the questions regarding my Plastidip process, I sanded the printed brace a few different times but it never really helped a lot. There's also a couple layers of primer and flat black paint under the Plastidip that helped blend the printed lines, but it didn't smooth it completely.

I didn't try heating the part though - that's a good idea but it's too late to try now unless I could strip off everything already there.

I'm done with it at this point as I think it looks okay. It feels grippy and kind of rubbery, sort of like Hogue pistol grips.

If I decide to take another crack at this, I might lightly sandblast it and redo the Plastidip, but I'm afraid that even at low pressure the blaster might tear it apart.  These 3d printed parts aren't very rugged in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#33]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
PSA (H&R) is bringing out a car-15 style brace. I have handled it amd it is really nice and at 5 feet looks just like a CAR stock

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

This is good news.

@mike_nds is there any update on these?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Update to the 3D printed pistol braces at AR180Parts.com
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had enough failures with the braces that I am removing them from the site until I can get the problems ironed out.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BigRix:
I've had enough failures with the braces that I am removing them from the site until I can get the problems ironed out.

View Quote

Hopefully you'll get the cross-sectional strength sorted out.  Looking forward to trying version 2.0
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BigRix:

View Quote

I still need a few of these so I am looking forward to any revised models you put out. Thanks for the updates!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I figured out what was causing the problems with the braces and it has been resolved. They are back up on the site.

If you have any problems with my stuff feel free to contact me through my site and I'll take care of it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Tag as this is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorta off topic…If I have a free SBR because I was a good boot licker, is it kosher to put the brace back on to lawfully cross state lines now?
I’d do the 5320.20, but I have several locations where I stay while working out of state in a few different states.  I’m looking at at least eight locations throughout five states.  I’m not a big paperwork fan.
My condolences for the tangent.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
Sorta off topic…If I have a free SBR because I was a good boot licker, is it kosher to put the brace back on to lawfully cross state lines now?
I’d do the 5320.20, but I have several locations where I stay while working out of state in a few different states.  I’m looking at at least eight locations throughout five states.  I’m not a big paperwork fan.
My condolences for the tangent.
View Quote

Once it’s an sbr I don’t think you can treat it like a regular firearm. As cheap as lowers and parts kits are you’d be better off just buying or building another pistol lower and swapping out the upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By R71:

Once it’s an sbr I don’t think you can treat it like a regular firearm. As cheap as lowers and parts kits are you’d be better off just buying or building another pistol lower and swapping out the upper.
View Quote

This is wrong - NFA status for SBR's is determined only by configuration, not registration. You can return an SBR to title 1 config and cross state lines like any other title 1 firearm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By zul:

This is wrong - NFA status for SBR's is determined only by configuration, not registration. You can return an SBR to title 1 config and cross state lines like any other title 1 firearm.
View Quote

Correct
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top