Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 3:21:42 PM EDT
I recently purchased a blem barrel from a vendor that had it marked down due to broken drill bit in the front sight sight taper pin hole. I bought it at a good price but discovered it was more than I could handle without trashing the barrel. I sent it to John Thomas with his suggestion that he would cut the old sight off and install a new sight. I received my barrel back in 7 days with the work completed and complete. Mr. Thomas is a wizard who has has magical powers. I don't know how he can do it so fast but I plan on sending him some more barrels soon. I highly recommend his work. Link to picture  https://imgur.com/594p8Kj
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a blem barrel from a vendor that had it marked down due to broken drill bit in the front sight sight taper pin hole. I bought it at a good price but discovered it was more than I could handle without trashing the barrel. I sent it to John Thomas with his suggestion that he would cut the old sight off and install a new sight. I received my barrel back in 7 days with the work completed and complete. Mr. Thomas is a wizard who has has magical powers. I don't know how he can do it so fast but I plan on sending him some more barrels soon. I highly recommend his work.
View Quote
The guy works metal like no body's business.
Mad skills he has....
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

Talented man, fast as fast can be!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My first experience with him was sending this barrel to be cut and pinned. Had it back in a week. Called me the day he received it to verify something and mailed it out later that same day.

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I said some stuff last week for reparkerizing. He did the job and sent it back out the next day. His parkerizing work looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
He did two retro M16A1s for me and was utterly amazing....fast, affordable and a great guy....
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a blem barrel from a vendor that had it marked down due to broken drill bit in the front sight sight taper pin hole. I bought it at a good price but discovered it was more than I could handle without trashing the barrel. I sent it to John Thomas with his suggestion that he would cut the old sight off and install a new sight. I received my barrel back in 7 days with the work completed and complete. Mr. Thomas is a wizard who has has magical powers. I don't know how he can do it so fast but I plan on sending him some more barrels soon. I highly recommend his work. Link to picture  https://imgur.com/594p8Kj
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

OPs pic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]
He pinned a brake on for me last week. The price and turn around were great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez. I’d give a lot to know how that rear pin hole got bunged up like that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geez. I’d give a lot to know how that rear pin hole got bunged up like that.
View Quote
that's where JT had to do the cut to extract the FSB.  barrel had a broken drill bit stuck in it originally.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have nothing but high praise for john , and the work he doe's , he goe's above and beyond at times to help us out . " Mad Metal Skills " , you bet !
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Does someone have his contact info? I have a barrel I need cut and threaded

ETA never mind I found his website
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ll be sending him a barrel-fsb-fh job for my 723 build fairly soon...can’t wait to get this one done.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does someone have his contact info? I have a barrel I need cut and threaded

ETA never mind I found his website
View Quote
You will be so happy with the work and turn around time!  John is a master.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, he is. He did a wonderful job pinning my FSP. Blazing fast turn around.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, he did the fat hand guard 607 and I think the early 602-ish upper

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing I will say is don't take for granted the resources in human potential you have available now.

My brother just passed away unexpectedly from tonsil cancer at age 46, still in disbelief about it because he was very reliable, always taking care of things for others.

I remember we had a scare a few years back with John Thomas taking a fall and fracturing some important bones, which could have been a lot worse.

I'm glad we have people like him and his attention to detail + excellent customer service to handle Retro-specific and AR smith work that requires pinning, drilling, Top Dead Center alignment, etc.

Same for Braceman.  Between the two of them, your imagination is basically the limit when it comes to Retro projects.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’ll be sending him a barrel-fsb-fh job for my 723 build fairly soon...can’t wait to get this one done.
View Quote
He just did that for me as well as a park job on the FSB and A2, I had a tracking number of the return package two hours after USPS said mine was delivered.... freaky fast!

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Mr. Thomas just did a prototype FSB pin and barrel work for me. I level of service he provided is unmatched. His work is on the level of Armalite’s/Colt’s tool room!
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
A big 2 thumbs up for JT
Did some work for me currently and years past, he does excellent work. And if you have any questions he is more than happy to answer them when he can
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
John Recently drilled a barrel for me, (Fred Long’s Rifle) i swear he had to have had the mail carrier wait at the door!
Turn around was unbelievable, and the work was the best ive seen for taper pin drill, clean and precise!!! GREAT WORK!
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Some furniture recently done by John
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree with OP J.T. does excellent work and is blazing fast at very very reasonable pricing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
And I think he is cahoots with the USPS to aid in his speed. I mailed him a barrel on Saturday and he already sent me shipping confirmation. I'm going to have this back in less than a week, easy. That's impressive.

Edit: it is out for delivery today. Four day turn around from the day I mailed it.

Very p,eased. 14.5 that he added a spacer, then pinned and welded.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#24]
He does some great work!

He received the barrel, did the work, and shipped it back out all the same day...amazing service!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#25]
JT does scary good work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
JT does scary good work.
View Quote
and scary fast too
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some furniture recently done by John
https://i.ibb.co/0B8BRJF/image.jpg
View Quote

That green stock looks fantastic!  Whatever gun that goes on will be special for sure!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And I think he is cahoots with the USPS to aid in his speed. I mailed him a barrel on Saturday and he already sent me shipping confirmation. I'm going to have this back in less than a week, easy. That's impressive.

]
View Quote
I have dropped stuff off at the post office on a friday to be sent to him and had it back on my porch the following monday.  I honestly couldn't figure out how USPS managed that, and add in him getting the work done in that time frame.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Man! There are some good looking KISS carbines in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man! There are some good looking KISS carbines in this thread.
View Quote
Mine looks great with the bayonet snapped on there too, my son says it should be a wall-hanger with the bayonet, lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know what he charges for chopping a 16” to 14.7”, then pinning and welding?

ETA I just found his email.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome, thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Any idea if JT refinishes uppers he converts from 604's to 601's? Would I have to send the part off to get reanodized?

I don't suppose if I ground off the sight markings on the receiver I could just paint over it somehow? I don't think the arrows would matter that much for a repro though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any idea if JT refinishes uppers he converts from 604's to 601's? Would I have to send the part off to get reanodized?

I don't suppose if I ground off the sight markings on the receiver I could just paint over it somehow? I don't think the arrows would matter that much for a repro though.
View Quote
He no longer offers anodizing services.

I think Norell's and other coatings are a popular choice for covering up the mill work.

There was a thread about an anodizer a month or two ago and some people liked their shade of gray and others did not.

Last I heard US Anodizing wasn't taking any piece work.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top