Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 12:25:18 PM EDT
Got a NIB Trijicon 1-8x VCOG yesterday.

It's difficult to take pics through these things and also capture the actual color.

See attached pic.

First thing I noticed was with the illumination on the lower right circle segment the etching doesn't look uniform near the top end of the segment. It's even more noticeable in red and in person. Starts showing up at 4x and at 8x it really draws your eye.

Also, depending on background and especially at 4x and above there's bleed-through on the numbers. In the attached pic you can see it well on the 20. There's a spot on the 10 and 5 as well.

Exchange it and try again or keep?

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
As much as they cost, I'd return.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If bought as a discounted blem unit, i would be ok with it.

Full price I would return
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Return it.  Not cheap and you deserve a perfectly working NIB optic
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Common and normal, unless something recently changed.  Same thing happened with the 1-6x VCOG I had a few years ago.

From what I remember, it’s just an artifact of the way the reticle is illuminated (light projected at/reflected off the etched reticle).  You won’t need it anywhere near that bright at night/low light (only time you’ll really need the illumination above 1x), so it’s really a non-issue in actual use.

I’d just keep it, because there’s no guarantee the replacement will be better (could be worse).
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If bought as a discounted blem unit, i would be ok with it.

Full price I would return
View Quote

For what those costs, they better be perfect when they leave the factory.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the response.

The pic doesn't show the issue very well and yeah, for as much as that scope cost the segments should be uniform. The bleed through I get and it's not noticeable in daylight. Going to exchange it for another one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Common from what I've seen in even the Accupower FFP 1-8 and Burris 1-8 FFP XTR II. (japanese mfr)

Return it, and you'll likely get something in return that looks the same or worse.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If bought as a discounted blem unit, I would be ok with it.

Full price and New condition, I would return
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The bleeding on the numbers is common in a FFP optic. I have a 1-8 VCOG and two 1-8 Accupowers, I’ll have to see if mine have this but if they do it’s not something I’ve noticed. Once I start cranking up magnification I turn the illumination off. I understand the aggravation of paying top dollar and it seeming less than perfect. I looked at my VCOG 1-8 and I don’t have that problem nor do I have it in my Accupowers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Which direction does the illumination come from on these? That will dictate the reticle brightness areas.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top