Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 12:24:40 AM EDT
Hi -- this is embarrassing, so have a laugh.

I'm building my second with a Daytona Tactical 80 lower and an Aero Precision LPK.

I didn't realize that the Aero trigger guard was mounted with set screws, or more specifically, that the screw in the front wouldn't fully insert due to the way the Daytona lower is designed.

I discovered this after applying a little Loctite blue to each set screw.

Fortunately, I was able to remove the front screw (which didn't fully insert) and one of the rear trigger guard screws before the loctite fully set.

I have been fighting to get the last removed.

I've tried using my wife's nail polish remover, hydrogen peroxide, and heat (using both her hair dryer and a lighter held closer to the screw) to loosen the the Loctite bonds.

Unfortunately, it appears I've already stripped the screw (allen wrench head). I tried using a torx bit, but managed to strip the screw head again with just the slightest turn (after attempting to reheat the screw).

Any advice?

Aero Precision has kindly sent me a traditional magpul trigger guard. So I just need to get this trigger guard off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Pull your plastic pistol grip off before you melt that on there.  Apply soldering iron to screw head.  Hammer in Torx bit.  Unscrew.

If that doesn't work, you're drilling it out.  Get you a set of roll pin punches and use the standard roll pin next time.  AR roll pin punches make life much easier on an AR.

ETA:  If you've got a replacement already, start Dremeling the damn thing off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw. Tape up the lower in case you slip. Use a quality screwdriver that's large enough that it spans the complete slot. Other than that, drill it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Grabit Pro Broken Bolt and Damaged Screw Extractor
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
mill baby, end mill.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw. Tape up the lower in case you slip. Use a quality screwdriver that's large enough that it spans the complete slot. Other than that, drill it out.
View Quote

This.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top