Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2024 7:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imabballer]
I am wanting to get a custom barrel made for my POF rogue and these guns use a proprietary barrel extension.  I am needing to remove the barrel extension from my current barrel to send it and my bolt to the barrel maker.  I have never installed or removed either the index pin or a barrel extension before and I’m not sure what tools are necessary to do the job correctly.  If any of you have any experience with either of these I would appreciate any guidance you might be able to provide!

(I emailed ADCO to see if they might be able to do it for me but they said it’s not a service they offer).
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any reason you couldn't send the whole barrel?  Let them do it!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#2]
Barrel extensions are torqued to a pretty high torque value.  You’re going to need a really good way to secure the barrel and a wrench that fairly precisely fits the opening of the extension to break it loose.

Here’s one for an AR15:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/ar-15-barrel-extension-wrench/

If you can just send in the barrel whole and let them do it, I would go that route.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll need an extension wrench/spud. If you're not concerned about marring the existing barrel finish, you could chuck it in a lathe and use a breaker bar or impact wrench to remove the extension.  You'll need most likely +150 ft lbs.

FYI, some index pins are driven in deep enough to engage the barrel threads. Removal of the extension with pin installed will damage the barrel threads.

I've TIG welded an appropriate sized hex nut onto an index pin and removed it that way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#4]
The problem comes in when you try to find a way to secure the barrel without it spinning to unscrew a properly torqued extension. I broke a vise once trying to get enough clamping force on a block and barrel to tighten an extension to 150 ft pounds. Reverse torque should be less but still might be a challenge.
I think the pins are just pressed in so removing it may not be that difficult.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By j3_:
The problem comes in when you try to find a way to secure the barrel without it spinning to unscrew a properly torqued extension. I broke a vise once trying to get enough clamping force on a block and barrel to tighten an extension to 150 ft pounds. Reverse torque should be less but still might be a challenge.
View Quote

I thought about that a little and since the barrel will be useless to me once the extension is removed I might grind some flats onto the barrel to give my vise something to hold onto.  I could use a barrel extension wrench like the one posted above with a big breaker bar.

I’m still not sure of the best way to remove the index pin.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By imabballer:

I thought about that a little and since the barrel will be useless to me once the extension is removed I might grind some flats onto the barrel to give my vise something to hold onto.  I could use a barrel extension wrench like the one posted above with a big breaker bar.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imabballer:
Originally Posted By j3_:

Just be aware, I’m going to doubt an AR15 extension wrench is appropriately sized for a .308 sized cartridge extension, even if it’s built for standard AR sized receivers like the POF.

If your gun’s bolt and extension are proprietary, you may have a hard time finding an appropriate wrench and one that isn’t sized/shaped properly could potentially damage the extension when applying the amount of torque needed to break it loose.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Just be aware, I’m going to doubt an AR15 extension wrench is appropriately sized for a .308 sized cartridge extension, even if it’s built for standard AR sized receivers like the POF.

If your gun’s bolt and extension are proprietary, you may have a hard time finding an appropriate wrench and one that isn’t sized/shaped properly could potentially damage the extension when applying the amount of torque needed to break it loose.
View Quote

The bolt lug exterior dimensions are the same on the rogue as a 5.56.  POF just opened up the bolt ID to accept a 308 case head and made the bolt out of some super steel to handle the added stress.  I believe the primary thing that makes the barrel extension proprietary is that the rogue extension is missing one “tooth” as compared to a normal ar15 extension.  My magpul bev block fits perfectly for installing and removing the barrel on the gun.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top