Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have another 11.5” on the way. This one won’t be cut down, so I went with the barrel with the markings forward of the FSP. Gotta have a sample of all 3, right?

This will be my Coronapocalypse build. Had a friend who had fallen on hard times (gap in employment) before all of this happened who had sold off all of his AR’s. He called wanting to buy an AR. Couldn’t bring myself to part with any, so I dug through my parts bin and discovered that I had enough parts for 2 builds minus a few parts for each. I’ve been close with the guy since we were 11 (going on 20 years), so told him to buy what was missing and he could have the rest of the parts for one. I’ll be throwing together a spare parts build with what’s left.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have another 11.5” on the way. This one won’t be cut down, so I went with the barrel with the markings forward of the FSP. Gotta have a sample of all 3, right?

This will be my Coronapocalypse build. Had a friend who had fallen on hard times (gap in employment) before all of this happened who had sold off all of his AR’s. He called wanting to buy an AR. Couldn’t bring myself to part with any, so I dug through my parts bin and discovered that I had enough parts for 2 builds minus a few parts for each. I’ve been close with the guy since we were 11 (going on 20 years), so told him to buy what was missing and he could have the rest of the parts for one. I’ll be throwing together a spare parts build with what’s left.
View Quote

Don't forget pics before you hand it off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your a kind friend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Just ordered the 14.5 in.  Wish I would have caught at $99, yet giving the good write-ups in this thread it will be worth it.

I also picked up one of these for $99.  Looks like a similar barrel (no flats) with shaved FSP and YHM Phantom pinned & welded. This should make a good cheap blaster without the hassle of pin&welding myself.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just ordered the 14.5 in.  Wish I would have caught at $99, yet giving the good write-ups in this thread it will be worth it.

I also picked up one of these for $99.  Looks like a similar barrel (no flats) with shaved FSP and YHM Phantom pinned & welded. This should make a good cheap blaster without the hassle of pin&welding myself.
View Quote

That 16” would make a good 10.3” or 11.5” cut down.  If it’s as nice as my 14.5”.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That 16” would make a good 10.3” or 11.5” cut down.  If it’s as nice as my 14.5”.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will post pics once I get it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sold out now, I was going to order one until I saw in the description that "Barrel is not marked".
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sold out now, I was going to order one until I saw in the description that "Barrel is not marked".
View Quote

I didn't notice that, glad I didn't get one. If they are unmarked, that can technically cause some issues if the firearm was to come under scrutiny by the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
How so? Millions of barrels have been made with no markings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How so? Millions of barrels have been made with no markings.
View Quote

I guess most of it would depend on which markings are omitted. Since CDNN doesn't include any additional pictures of the top of the barrel it is hard to say
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My concern was more to do with if they are truly Remington Defense barrels, since it would be difficult to verify with no markings.  I also have more AR parts than I need so it wasn't worth the gamble for me.  It will be interesting to see what you guys get.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going to use mine for a blaster so not concerned about markings.  I have a cheap upper/rail setup I picked up at Midway in December to go with it.

There were 42 when I bought yesterday; someone must have bulk bought to build antivirus guns.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Remington 11.5" SOCOM Barrel - R4 Defense Line of Carbines

Specs:

- 11.5" Length, Late SOCOM Profile 5.56 NATO 1/7" Twist Rate, with M203 Receiver Clearance Cuts

- Hammer Forged 4150 Steel: Meets "MIL B-11595" Standard

- Heavy Chrome Lined Chamber to Muzzle: rifling lands and grooves appear traditional but also appear smaller than Colt non-forged barrels.

- Manganese Phosphate "Black" Heavy Coating on ALL Exterior Surfaces

- FSB "B" Marked "F" Height: Taper Pinned with Bayonet Lug, M4A1 Hand-guard Cap, Heavy Riveted Current Coated Sling Swivel, M4A1 Front Sight Post

- M4 Feed Ramped Extension

- Milspec Barrel Nut

- Markings: "REM 1/7 5.56 NATO" and Remington Signature "REP CIRCLE" Proof Mark *Note: No serial, alphanumerical date, or cage code.

Well made barrel with no ugly machine marks.  Coating is thick and dark black: versus Colt's tough thin gray phosphate. Chrome lining is well done, appears thick and robust.  Bore appears to be very concentric.  Rifling is less pronounced than Colt non-forged barrels.  It does not have the spiral CHF marks like a DD. Remington has forged their barrels for a long time from what I have read, so they do not suffer from the expensive transition in production which explains the cost being under $300 versus DD or FNH and others using CHF.    

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bore appears to be very concentric.  Rifling is less pronounced than Colt non-forged barrels.  It does not have the spiral CHF marks like a DD. Remington has forged their barrels for a long time from what I have read, so they do not suffer from the expensive transition in production which explains the cost being under $300 versus DD or FNH

View Quote

Colt are button broached thus the more pronounced rifling. These bbls are cheaper due to being supposed contract over runs thus the reason CDNN is liquidating them.

As for transitioning...FN has been doing  CHF bbls forever and a day.....DD being the "newer" entrant in the industry.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Colt are button broached thus the more pronounced rifling. These bbls are cheaper due to being supposed contract over runs thus the reason CDNN is liquidating them.

As for transitioning...FN has been doing  CHF bbls forever and a day.....DD being the "newer" entrant in the industry.  
View Quote
You can definitely see the difference in the rifling. I figured it was the different process. I have a lot of respect for Remington in of itself. I hope the conglomerate don't destroy the name. I have some very nice Remingtons of different disciplines, and my late grandfather's deer rifle is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Here’s the 3 Rem Socom barreled uppers I’ve completed so far. I normally would install a KAC RAS rail on an upper/barrel with a fsp (just my favorite configuration), but the 14.5” is for a C8A2 sbr clone I recently built and I wanted to go for something very basic with the latest 11.5” in the middle. The 11.5”(now 10.3”) on the right is for a MK18 clone that’ll be going on a lower that I’m waiting for a tax stamp on. The receivers from left to right are a Diemaco Colt, a BCM “blem”, and a “C” and keyhole stamped Colt.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here’s the 3 Rem Socom barreled uppers I’ve completed so far. I normally would install a KAC RAS rail on an upper/barrel with a fsp (just my favorite configuration), but the 14.5” is for a C8A2 sbr clone I recently built and I wanted to go for something very basic with the latest 11.5” in the middle. The 11.5”(now 10.3”) on the right is for a MK18 clone that’ll be going on a lower that I’m waiting for a tax stamp on. The receivers from left to right are a Diemaco Colt, a BCM “blem”, and a “C” and keyhole stamped Colt.

https://i.imgur.com/jQAzx4n.jpg
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else notice the pinned and welded 14.5 M4 uppers they have now?

I grabbed a pair to check out, and possibly add 80" receivers to for the grab bag
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice the pinned and welded 14.5 M4 uppers they have now?

I grabbed a pair to check out, and possibly add 80" receivers to for the grab bag
View Quote

Do you know if they’re the heavy barrels on those?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you know if they’re the heavy barrels on those?
View Quote

I'm assuming they aren't. If I'm the first in the thread to receive them I'll be sure to report.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My Remington 14.5” SOCOM barrel I bought during Christmas time; I finally finished it when I got back from TDY. The list of the parts are Remington 14.5” SOCOM barrel, AO Precision F/A BCG, M-4 upper I bought from Right to Bear Arms, BCM Mod 3 charging handle, USGI carry handle,  KAC RAS, and Streamlight Protac weapon light. I will probably change out the Streamlight with a Surefire Scout I have with SR-07 rail mounted pressure pad.

I still have my Remington 11.5” SOCOM barrel I need to finish; I am trying to decide whether to buy a BCM flattop receiver or use the spare A2 upper I have in my parts bin to build a Colt 723 clone. If I decide to build a 723 clone, I would need to send it to John Thomas to have the barrel parkerized under the FSB  (like he did on my 14.5” barrel) and to have the M-4 feedramps done on the A2 receiver.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Did I miss it, or did anyone figure out the difference between the two 11.5 barrels? I see both are $199 now, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111856/53B6D2AB-679D-447F-88AE-5CAEB80C7122_jpe-1352587.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111856/88FEBE21-396A-4C4C-961C-2F6F1E5D459F_jpe-1352588.JPG

My Remington 14.5” SOCOM barrel I bought during Christmas time; I finally finished it when I got back from TDY. The list of the parts are Remington 14.5” SOCOM barrel, AO Precision F/A BCG, M-4 upper I bought from Right to Bear Arms, BCM Mod 3 charging handle, USGI carry handle,  KAC RAS, and Streamlight Protac weapon light. I will probably change out the Streamlight with a Surefire Scout I have with SR-07 rail mounted pressure pad.

I still have my Remington 11.5” SOCOM barrel I need to finish; I am trying to decide whether to buy a BCM flattop receiver or use the spare A2 upper I have in my parts bin to build a Colt 723 clone. If I decide to build a 723 clone, I would need to send it to John Thomas to have the barrel parkerized under the FSB  (like he did on my 14.5” barrel) and to have the M-4 feedramps done on the A2 receiver.
View Quote

That looks really good. I really need to finish my block in and build a block 1
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did I miss it, or did anyone figure out the difference between the two 11.5 barrels? I see both are $199 now, too.
View Quote

One has markings forward of the FSB, while the other has the markings on the barrel itself
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Just for shiets and giggles I ordered a $99 Remington unmarked 14.5” pinned barrel after hearing all the positive reviews of the socom barrels.  I was planning to chop the barrel to 12.5” and join the foot long club.  The YHM flash hider had some heat discoloration on a flat so I assumed that’s where the weld was.  I drilled through it and no pin.  I decided to turn the flash hider and low and behold, it wasn’t pinned at all.  So double check the pinned YHM flash hider if you guys are planning to run it as is.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just for shiets and giggles I ordered a $99 Remington unmarked 14.5” pinned barrel after hearing all the positive reviews of the socom barrels.  I was planning to chop the barrel to 12.5” and join the foot long club.  The YHM flash hider had some heat discoloration on a flat so I assumed that’s where the weld was.  I drilled through it and no pin.  I decided to turn the flash hider and low and behold, it wasn’t pinned at all.  So double check the pinned YHM flash hider if you guys are planning to run it as is.
View Quote

Well that's cute
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that's a fucker.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just looked at mine and couldn’t find any place on the FH that looks like a weld spot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just looked at mine and couldn’t find any place on the FH that looks like a weld spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I checked mine and I can see the weld pretty clearly.  Have not tried to spin the flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up both the 14.5 SOCOM and the 14.5 with shaved FSB and P&W flash hider.  The later is not marked at all, and comparing the two I expect they were from different production runs.  One has the FSB F marked on the right, and the other has the F mark on the left  Also, the chrome lining as seen from the breech is different - see photos below.  Note the P&W was bone dry while the SOCOM came wet with oil. I oiled a portion of the P&W to compare finish.

No markings on the P&W
Attachment Attached File

No flats on the P&W
Attachment Attached File

Notice how the chrome on the P&W is on more of the breech.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#31]
If my uppers show up with likely weld spots then I don't want to rip them apart or risk damaging something by attempting to break free something that should be pinned. That's not why I bought PINNED AND WELDED uppers, CDNN!

In this event I intend to print my receipt and also a screen shot of the item's page and description. I will mail these to myself to establish a date and leave the envelope sealed in my records in case a lawyer ever needs something for my defense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I first looked at mine, I thought it was the cleanest pin & weld job I ever saw.  One flat had an oval heat discoloration and the crush washer, on that side, looked like was sanded down a bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Here are a few pics.

Below is how the crush washer was originally oriented.  There's a spot that was sanded flat.  

The flash hider has some heat discoloration on the right side of it.  That's the side where I thought had the pin & weld.  

As you can see in the threads, there is no hole that goes through it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I picked up both the 14.5 SOCOM and the 14.5 with shaved FSB and P&W flash hider.  The later is not marked at all, and comparing the two I expect they were from different production runs.  One has the FSB F marked on the right, and the other has the F mark on the left  Also, the chrome lining as seen from the breech is different - see photos below.  Note the P&W was bone dry while the SOCOM came wet with oil. I oiled a portion of the P&W to compare finish.

No markings on the P&W
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_153211s_jpg-1354865.JPG

No flats on the P&W
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_153225s_jpg-1354866.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_215614s_jpg-1354868.JPG
View Quote

Not even caliber markings? That was my initial concern before since a lot of people use multi marked lowers and rely on the barrel manufacture for the caliber marking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here are a few pics.

Below is how the crush washer was originally oriented.  There's a spot that was sanded flat.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744902887_0f0bde4278_c.jpg

The flash hider has some heat discoloration on the right side of it.  That's the side where I thought had the pin & weld.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744034508_e272085869_c.jpg

As you can see in the threads, there is no hole that goes through it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744902727_2a7ee4bcc8_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744040188_0a9142bd52_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744579726_ddffcc9041_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49744902687_6262e3d160_c.jpg

View Quote

DAMN.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not even caliber markings? That was my initial concern before since a lot of people use multi marked lowers and rely on the barrel manufacture for the caliber marking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No markings on the P&W
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_153211s_jpg-1354865.JPG

No flats on the P&W
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_153225s_jpg-1354866.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200405_215614s_jpg-1354868.JPG

I just rechecked - no markings anywhere on barrel - only FSB.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Here is a close up pic of the weld on mine.  Clearly welded (extra material on the right.)   Tried spinning by hand and no movement; I doubt I will test with a wrench.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here is a close up pic of the weld on mine.  Clearly welded (extra material on the right.)   Tried spinning by hand and no movement; I doubt I will test with a wrench.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200407_063803s_jpg-1355261.JPG
View Quote

I would, most certainly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link to the 14.5"?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Link to the 14.5"?
View Quote

DISCUSSION HERE
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239734/20200407_063803s_jpg-1355261.JPG
View Quote

Here's how mine looked like.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

That definitely looks too clean compared to mine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link to the 14.5"?

DISCUSSION HERE

They went from 50 or so in stock to OOS in less than a day.  I expect someone snatched them to make cheap rifles to resell.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One has markings forward of the FSB, while the other has the markings on the barrel itself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#45]
There giving away YHM phantom brakes with each purchase of the 14.5 or 11.5 Socom barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Got my 11.5" barrel today. I ordered the one with the markings under the handguard. It looks really good. Admittedly I don't know how it shoots yet but I don't feel bad spending $200. I noticed a "M" next to the handguard cap, under the handguard. Anyone else have the same?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Which is which?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:16:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which is which?
View Quote

You have to zoom in on the pics.

This has markings forward of the fsp

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-11-5-chrome-bore-remington.html#.Xo7nNiUpCEc

This one has the markings to the rear

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-11-5-a2-chrome-bore-rem.html?___SID=U#.Xo7ntSUpCEc
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-11-5-chrome-bore-remington.html#.Xo7nNiUpCEc

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-11-5-a2-chrome-bore-rem.html?___SID=U#.Xo7ntSUpCEc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is which?

Thanks for this, just ordered the one with markings toward the rear as I will send this off for 10.3” cut so it can be a spare for my mk18.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for this, just ordered the one with markings toward the rear as I will send this off for 10.3” cut so it can be a spare for my mk18.
View Quote

I sent mine to Retro Arms for the same. He had it less than 24 hours before it was in the mail heading back to me.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top