Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 5:59:14 PM EDT
I have reloaded for quite some time and have never had this problem before. I hope I am posting this question in the right place.

I resize the brass with RCBS SB 223 dies, I then use a small primer pocket reamer to make sure the pocket is deburred. I also use a flash hole reamer to uniform the
flash-hole. All the brass is cleaned in a tumbler and then polished.

Here is my issue,  I use a RCBS hand held priming tool, with the small primer ram. I also used a Lee auto prime and had the same issue. For some reason it is like every other primer did not want to go in straight and jammed up the whole process. The same happened with both tools. Not on every case, some went in perfect. There other seamed to try and go in sideways, or off just a bit. I took the tools apart made sure they were clean and moving smoothly. I used the correct shell holders on both tools. I looked at the brass after getting it un-stuck and they looked fine.

I am at a lost what could be the issue. Thanks for any help you can give.

Fred
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the brass all the same headstamp and if so what is it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Primer pockets may be reamed too much. This would create space for the primer to tilt. Ream mil brass only enough to remove crimp. Worn primer guide on your primer tool could also help create tilted primer problem.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the speedy responses, I have in the past used the RCBS primer pocket swag tool on all my military brass. Most of the brass I worked on today is commercial brass. The primers did try and go in at angle on some of the brass, maybe I reamed the pocket to much. I will try and just clean some of the pockets with a small primer brush and leave the reamer alone. It has to be something with the brass as it was happening with both my priming tools.

Thanks again for so much help. I never had this problem before, so it must have been something I did today.

Thanks also for the reloading link.

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The crimp hasn't been fully removed or the primers would slip right in. You don't have to remove much metal, but anything that interferes with the insertion of the new primer will cause problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Harbor Freight counter sink bit........and ream them with that........been doing it for years and dont have issues............
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Most commercial.223 and all 5.56 is crimped, might not look like it but it most likely is.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Ream a bit more. Using a uniformer is recommended, but I find it unnecessary.

Neither the rcbs or Frankfort tools I have properly center the brass, so I have to wiggle it a little to get the cases lined up. Then the primers go in. Then I give them a ¼ to ½ turn and press them again. This would probably be unnecessary if I used a uniformer, but since I haven't had any questionable primers.

I ream all 223 brass by default. No sorting, just hit it all. Excepting when I just shot a bunch of my loads, and know they've already been reamed. Then they just get FL sized, and thrown into the trim bucket.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I use this:

RCBS Primer Pocket Swagger

Never have to worry about over doing it!  Have done thousands of crimped pockets with it in .223, and a few steel cased 7.62x54R as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use this:

RCBS Primer Pocket Swagger

Never have to worry about over doing it!  Have done thousands of crimped pockets with it in .223, and a few steel cased 7.62x54R as well.
View Quote

If you buy the RCBS swage make sure you keep the swaging button lubed with resizing lube or you'll be beating on your press handle to remove the brass.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
We never did find out what brass he's using, did we? I'm sure it was crimped however.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a counter sink bit from harbor freight.........on my Dewalt cordless...........a quick pass and in done
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top