Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2019 12:41:39 AM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation on a handguard to use with a cmmg guard 8" barrel with a 3 lug tip added to the end? I'm getting the remaining parts together to make the upper. Hoping to take advantage of the black Friday specials. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going through the same thing myself.

I'm currently using the Aero Precision 7" Atlas R-One rail which is really 7.25".
I would like it to be about an inch longer (8" would be good) and it would then cover the lugs.  

However, there aren't many options for 8" rails.  
Someone shipped me their 8" Guard upper to work on and he was using a BCM KMR rail and that fit about perfect but I like rails that have an integrated QD mount.
So I just ordered this one direct from Midwest: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-crm8.htm

Several people carry the Midwest Combat rails but those that do don't seem to carry the 8" length.
However, at 1.3" ID, the 3 lug mounts and cans above won't fit in the rail.

I plan on using my Bixler 3 lug mount.   The nut is 1.12" in diameter so should have plenty of clearance to go inside the rail.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you wanting the can to fit under the rail?  Or just get really close to the rail?

I went with a 7" Midwest Industries Combat rail on my 8" CMMG RDB.  On the end is a 3 lug from In Lead We Trust along with their 4" flash forwarder or whatever they call it.  My 9mm can is still in jail but I think I'll be happy with this setup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/27fCUfRsBna5Fajk8 - I guess the site doesn't like Google Photos
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys, thanks for the responses. I think I would really prefer the 3 lugs to be covered but don't need the body of the can to fit inside the handguard. I do have an omega 9k with their newer mount, so there is very little of the 3 lug sticking out. I also have an mk9k which has a 3 lug adapter that does stick out.

I guess given the two cans I intend to use, I will need to either get another three lug end cap for the 9k and be sure it is narrow enough or go with a setup where the rail doesn't extend into the lugs. I actually have an Aero precision 7" mlok in my brownells cart that I'm thinking about. Amphibian I think it's the one you posted above.

I really appreciate the input and pictures!
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a recommendation on a handguard to use with a cmmg guard 8" barrel with a 3 lug tip added to the end? I'm getting the remaining parts together to make the upper. Hoping to take advantage of the black Friday specials. Thanks!
View Quote
Have you thought of buying a 16" barrel and cutting it to the length you need?

This way you can match a handgaurd  to your needs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you thought of buying a 16" barrel and cutting it to the length you need?

This way you can match a handgaurd  to your needs.
View Quote
I thought about that but would like to avoid the expense and hassle of cutting down the barrel.

I went ahead and ordered the 7" aero handguard. It should be a good starting point if nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it is expensive and a hassle, but sometimes the only way to do things.

Good luck on your project!
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Just an FYI, my rail came in and working out just the way I want.

Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn that looks great. I like it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Amphibian, I feel like I'm on the right track when I see you are rocking the MI rails and Holosun optics!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amphibian, I feel like I'm on the right track when I see you are rocking the MI rails and Holosun optics!
View Quote
Yeah...I ordered a second one back in early December and it still hasn't shipped.  It was out of stock when I ordered and now says out of stock.   I hope they don't discontinue that length.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top