Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2018 10:37:23 AM EDT
I need a tripod for my Konus 20-60x spotting scope. I’d like one that can be used on bench or extended so it can be used standing up.  I’d also like to keep at under $100 if possible.  What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Slik
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Generally, a tripod that is short enough for bench use, isn't going to extend enough for using off the bench. If it does, it will not be as stable.

You can get bench height tripods that are reasonably sturdy, but not too expensive. In the $30 range give or take.

You can look for a bipod marketed to the gun crowd, but the ones for photography are mostly the same. You want a sturdy construction, with some heft to it. Thin legs are a bad sign... The outer legs can look beefy, but the inner legs can be thin.

Having a weight hook is a nice feature to get better stability and less wobble when using the scope as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally, a tripod that is short enough for bench use, isn't going to extend enough for using off the bench. If it does, it will not be as stable.

You can get bench height tripods that are reasonably sturdy, but not too expensive. In the $30 range give or take.

You can look for a bipod marketed to the gun crowd, but the ones for photography are mostly the same. You want a sturdy construction, with some heft to it. Thin legs are a bad sign... The outer legs can look beefy, but the inner legs can be thin.

Having a weight hook is a nice feature to get better stability and less wobble when using the scope as well.
View Quote
I just paid $36 for a Slik desktop tripod, like... 30 seconds ago.  Slik Mini-PRO DQ table top tripod, 2-section, max 9"

This is my third of that model and type, they're pretty good especially at the price
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I will check out the Slik tripods.  Which Slk models are you guys using?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Those KONUS scopes are big and heavy.  Do yourself a favor.  Spend a little more and get a decent scope stand that has a 1" diameter rod, not a 5/8" rod and definitely not a tripod.

Mounted on a 5/8" diameter rod, the scope stand will be fine for bench top use.  However, raised up for standing, the assembly becomes very wobbly and the wobble does not readily damp out.  When scopes were smaller and lighter, this was not a problem.  For that big KONUS, it is.

The larger 1" rod diameter makes them much stiffer and does not wobble anywhere near as much.  If you are shooting standing, you will appreciate this very quickly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I found tripod for my Chrony at Goodwill. $7 IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the RetiCAM MT01 off amazon for $30 to use with my 20-60x80 Konus spotting scope.  It’s a great bench tripod for a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those KONUS scopes are big and heavy.  Do yourself a favor.  Spend a little more and get a decent scope stand that has a 1" diameter rod, not a 5/8" rod and definitely not a tripod.

Mounted on a 5/8" diameter rod, the scope stand will be fine for bench top use.  However, raised up for standing, the assembly becomes very wobbly and the wobble does not readily damp out.  When scopes were smaller and lighter, this was not a problem.  For that big KONUS, it is.

The larger 1" rod diameter makes them much stiffer and does not wobble anywhere near as much.  If you are shooting standing, you will appreciate this very quickly.
View Quote
I use Manfrotto and Slik tripods to hold up three different sizes of Konus spotting scopes and others that are larger

I use a Slik 700DX for typical spotting scope duties at work.  It's light enough, very adjustable, sturdy (it can hold 20 lbs comfortably), and it's very adjustable.

Cons: It doesn't drop to the floor for prone rifle use (that's OK though, I don't shoot off of it) and doesn't come with a ballhead mount.

When selecting a ballhead mount keep in mind that they have their own weight rating.  
Some manufacturers also have quick-detach methods that are rather proprietary, Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto come to mind.  The Arca-Swiss is very secure, but some can be pricey

I use Kamisafe heavy duty ballhead mounts ($36, Amazon) on my Sliks for spotting scope work, mostly because of the weight rating and I don't need to move the ballhead very rapidly
For shooting I use a Manfrotto with a pistol grip ballhead mount, because I do need to move it rapidly sometimes
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me clarify my recommendation.

I'm saying do not buy a tripod, get a scope stand.

Scope stands are designed for the kind of shooting I believe the OP is doing (but my assumption about that could be wrong).
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
t me clarify my recommendation.

I'm saying do not buy a tripod, get a scope stand.

Scope stands are designed for the kind of shooting I believe the OP is doing (but my assumption about that could be wrong).
View Quote
I kinda zipped past that, and made assumptions that I shouldn't have.  Most people these days are trying to shoot standing up with a tripod, which is what I assumed

Trollslayer, I agree with your assumption (which I think is a safe one), maybe you know Yojimbo better than I do.  I don't know

As for the tripod-stand request

It's not going to happen under $100, neither is a tripod, not with the parameters given.  Please understand that going forward.

Heck, a low-end Freeland is gonna go for around $150 without an extension kit or shipping.  God help him if he looks at a Ray-Vin or GearBuggy stand

Yojimbo, I was giving you my opinion based on what is more affordable for someone who is budget restrained
You can shop around through a broader selection of tripods than shooting stands.  Competition in pricing with those is a real thing, this is not as much so with shooting stands which are aimed at a specialized market

If you want to use a spotting scope stand (especially for competition) examine your position (or anticipated positions) in competition, and focus on that

For service rifle or F-Class I'd recommend a 2-leg base stand that can fit around the corner of your mat.  
Creedmoor Sports makes a decent one with an extension kit for around $200 without shipping

Pros, they adjust all the way up and down.  I mean from 4" to the top of the tube.  But the higher you go the more top-heavy it gets and wind is real.  Traditional 3-leg tripods shine here, the 2-leg versions aren't as stable at tall heights
So if you're tall maybe thing about one that has holes in the base legs for tying sand socks or using small stakes for anchoring

I almost forgot to add: if you're planning on doing a fair amount of spotting I can strongly recommend the Creedmoor scope mount saver, for $25 it's a good way to extend the life of your spotting scope mount

This is going to sound funny, but bear with me: if you choose a spotting scope stand, save for it and get the very best one you can right out of the gate
These are specialized equipment and most are made by smaller shops or individuals with personal quality control.  The term "you get what you pay for" really applies here
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Tweeter and Trollslayer, I will definitely take your advice.  I may need to get both a scope stand and a tripod.

My main uses would be when I am shooting from the prone position and also when shooting off the bench.  I may also use it for coyote and ground hog hunting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought the RetiCAM MT01 off amazon for $30 to use with my 20-60x80 Konus spotting scope.  It’s a great bench tripod for a spotting scope.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
I'll check those out too, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s hard to mess up a max 18-20in high tripod.  That’s why the cheap short tripods get such good reviews.  It’s when you need something that works for 30in and above that you need to start spending $150 and up.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top