Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2024 9:29:10 PM EDT
I just put together a BRN-180M reciever with a BRN-180 folding stock. The GI style charging handle is the exact width of the picatinny mount. My fingers are hitting the mount when I charge it.

What rear charging handles or grasping options are ya'll using on you setups with picatinny attached stocks?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#1]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
I just put together a BRN-180M reciever with a BRN-180 folding stock. The GI style charging handle is the exact width of the picatinny mount. My fingers are hitting the mount when I charge it.

What rear charging handles or grasping options are ya'll using on you setups with picatinny attached stocks?
View Quote

FWIW...

This area of the forum is for AR15 style PCC's that are .22LR....9mm....45acp....etc

If this is a .223/5.56 gun, you'll need to ask or have this thread to the AR15 pistol or general questions section.

And all the BRN 180's I've seen are side chargers...not rear chargers.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 243savage] [#2]
The receiver and buttstock are the only BRN-180 parts. The rest is ARish.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 243savage:
I know exactly which forum I'm in.

View Quote

Then you need to provide a pic.

And what Caliber is this   ???

And couldnt you just use a wide width style,  like BCM or Radian charging handle if it uses a standard Ar15 charging handle  ??

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The set up is a dedicated .22 LR build using RTB parts. The lower is a Brownells BRN-180M lower with a picatinny mounted stock.

One set of photos shows how I normally charge the charging handle when it's a standard AR lower with a standard stock.

The next set of photos shows my normal grasp being interfered with by the picatinny mount (left photo). I'm still having issues with my fingers higher up (right photo).

The last set of photos shows the width of the charging handle compared to the picatinny mount.

The only charging handles I have are standard GI. I'm sure there is someone out there who has the same issue as me and I'm curious what they did to resolve it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered going to a side-mounted charging handle?

Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger

I've been running one on my "Mule Rifle"  for about 5 years. This is a 16-inch PSA in 5.56 that I throw different accessories on for testing purposes when I write different articles where the accessories are really what's being featured.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics.

When you said BRN-180, and mentioned rear charging...I was like "huh ?"

But now I see you have a AR type upper receiver.

You have quite a few choices for charging handles.
Warhammer...Radian...BCM...etc.
You'll want to get a .22 insert from Bore Buddy or CMMG to keep anything getting caught in the groove.

Plan b would be a side charging upper.

Cool .22 build !!

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 243savage] [#7]
Thanks. Sorry I didnt mention I was building a .22 conversion on the BRN lower.

I'll probably try a different charging handle first before looking into side charging options. I'm a visual person and will probably walk into a few gun stores with the GI handle to place against other models to get a idea of how they will met my needs.

I have been messing around with the current set up and if I use my thumb and middle finger, I can grasp the charging handle with out "skin"/"digits" hanging low. It's a hair awkward and looks strange, i.e. no tacticool factor, but hey, it works for now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought of using a BR-180 lower for an AR-22.  I asked Brownell's if it would work with a AR-22 upper, they said no!  Might want to check.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By texaspaulhouston:
I thought of using a BR-180 lower for an AR-22.  I asked Brownell's if it would work with a AR-22 upper, they said no!  Might want to check.
View Quote

@Brownells_ar15
Thoughts?

I saw in the Q&A section of the product on the website that twice it was said it should work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 243savage] [#11]
Thanks sir.

I figure that the design focused on side charging operations as opposed to considering rear charging.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
yes - looks like i talked to wrong person.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
you could go with Bear Creek Arsenal side charger upper.  No rear charging handle.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top