Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 11:26:47 AM EDT
Hey guys,

After I got a new scope I needed to adjust my angled foregrip forward and I didn't realize the front set screw was touching the gas block on my free floated barrel. It was stored like this for about a week and had about 100 rounds shot through it in this configuration. I realized it now and fixed it. It wasn't pressing into it like super hard but it was touching. I noticed when fixing it the finish on the gasblock where it was touching was gone but it didnt seem gouged.

2 concerns

Do you think it hurt the barrel alignment any having it like this for a week and shooting 100rds though it?

Do I now have to worry about rust where the finish is gone?

Forgive me if this is pedantic but I'm ocd about this stuff and just want to check woth you guys.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Just double check your zero now that you noticed the issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I def plan on doing that on Thursday, I just wasn't sure if like it was pushing on it a little if I could like make it set weird or something. If I have to adjust zero that's no worries I just hope I didn't damage the barrel any. I'm sure it's probably fine I'm just ocd about this kinda stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No it'll be fine.

If you zeroed it like that it's probably substantially different now without a screw pushing on it. So rezero is probably needed.

It would take a lot to permanently bend a barrel.

Have you ever seen someone shoot with a sling on a non free-float AR lol?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No it'll be fine.

If you zeroed it like that it's probably substantially different now without a screw pushing on it. So rezero is probably needed.

It would take a lot to permanently bend a barrel.

Have you ever seen someone shoot with a sling on a non free-float AR lol?
View Quote

Lol great point, that makes me feel alot better
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a good idea, get the screw off the gas block if your goal was to free float.  Probably affecting your groups also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
No damage.
Zero the rifle.
Apply some paint on the bare area to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No damage.
Zero the rifle.
Apply some paint on the bare area to prevent rust.
View Quote

This right there...
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top