User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyDigz] [#1]
Is the the gov's latest response (filed today, 08/09/22)? :

MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANTS’ MOTION TO DISMISS UNDER RULES 12(b)(1), 12(b)(3), AND 12(b)(6), OR, IN THE ALTERNATIVE, TO TRANSFER VENUE

Although this Court need not reach the issue, Plaintiff’s challenge to ATF’s classification fails
on the merits as a matter of law. Plaintiff’s entire argument is premised on an interpretation of the
statutory phrase “single function of the trigger” that courts have repeatedly rejected. The FRT-15 fires
multiple rounds automatically when the shooter maintains a single, constant rearward pull of the finger
on the trigger, thus making it a “machinegun.” The phrase “single function of the trigger” is not
unconstitutionally vague, as Plaintiff alleges. The phrase clearly means that a shooter can fire multiple
rounds without the need to pull and release and pull again. Even if there is some ambiguity in the
phrase, it is by no means standardless such that the void-for-vagueness doctrine applies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Interdasting
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I wish there was a "Like" button.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Can somebody translate that to 5 year old language
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
it's a machine-gun

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So that's not the court's ruling, but rather "the case" being made by the government to dismiss?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
So that's not the court's ruling, but rather "the case" being made by the government to dismiss?
View Quote

Correct. Despite the extremely recent Bruen ruling, they are hard charging ahead full speed. In other words they are saying "Fuck the constitution and fuck the supreme court, and also fuck the legislative branch- we do what we want.

The 3 letter agencies are weaponized and attacking the people on all fronts. This is what a police stare looks like before it gets really bad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The phrase clearly means that a shooter can fire multiple
rounds without the need to pull and release and pull again
View Quote

I think this phrase will come back to bight them in the ass since the FRT is a pull and release and pull again technically
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]

I think this phrase will come back to bight them in the ass since the FRT is a pull and release and pull again technically
View Quote

Technically?  How about actually.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I know that but from a legal perspective its all the technical aspects and mechanical functions that make the , "Well Ackshually Mr AFT man "
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evlblkwpnz] [#11]
-----
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malum-Prohibitum] [#12]
This is a bumpstock case decided this week (August 9, 2022) by a unanimous DC Circuit Court of Appeals.  I post it here because their definition of a single function of the trigger would be bad news for forced reset triggers.

Read.

https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/legaldocs/zgpomgkjxpd/080922%20--%20DC%20Cir%20--%20Guedes%20et%20al%20v%20BATF%20et%20al%20decision.pdf
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Malum-Prohibitum:
This is a bumpstock case decided this week (August 9, 2022) by a unanimous DC Circuit Court of Appeals.  I post it here because their definition of a single function of the trigger would be bad news for forced reset triggers.

Read.

https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/legaldocs/zgpomgkjxpd/080922%20--%20DC%20Cir%20--%20Guedes%20et%20al%20v%20BATF%20et%20al%20decision.pdf
View Quote
Seems like an odd ruling given the recent SCOTUS decisions in the EPA case and the Bruen case...
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Read.

View Quote
Wasn't able to get to the document
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
Wasn't able to get to the document
View Quote

Weird.  It worked when I posted it.  I'll see if I can find another copy posted online.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malum-Prohibitum] [#16]
Here you go.  It is well worth reading.   I know it is not an FRT case, but it is a bump stock case talking about the ATF ruling and the congressional definition of a machine gun and what it means with respect to a pull or function of the trigger.

And it is the first appellate court ruling on this issue after Bruen.

And it is unanimous.

https://tmsnrt.rs/3p5oKbZ
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
And here is a news article on the case (not as useful, but good for some context).  https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/atf-beats-back-gun-rights-groups-challenge-bump-stock-ban-2022-08-09/
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Here you go.  It is well worth reading.   I know it is not an FRT case, but it is a bump stock case talking about the ATF ruling and the congressional definition of a machine gun and what it means with respect to a pull or function of the trigger.

And it is unanimous.

View Quote
Thanks brother - I really want to read it. The way that I see it gets posted here, it seems to immediately lose some of the information to the address it needs - this is the error message I get

Anyone else gets this or is everyone being able to open the document just fine?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

And it is unanimous.

View Quote

There's a lot of mental gymnastics and BS in that document. They are talking about bumpstocks like they are an Akins accelerator. Why let facts get in the way now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks brother - I really want to read it. The way that I see it gets posted here, it seems to immediately lose some of the information to the address it needs - this is the error message I get

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/Screen_Shot_2022-08-15_at_8_25_02_PM_jpg-2490689.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/Screen_Shot_2022-08-15_at_8_25_02_PM_jpg-2490689.JPG

It works for me just by clicking on it.  It appears to work for Cycolac, too.   I have a suggestion.  Go to the article in the post of mine right after the post you quoted, and there is a link to the opinion in that article that will take you to the opinion to read.

Originally Posted By Cycolac:

There's a lot of mental gymnastics and BS in that document. They are talking about bumpstocks like they are an Akins accelerator. Why let facts get in the way now.

LOL!  I get what you are saying, but now you see why I am concerned about the fate of forced reset triggers, right?  The court essentially rules that because the gun keeps firing so long as pressure is applied at a certain level, that a bump stock is a machine gun.  That describes almost exactly how a forced reset trigger is used.  Apply a certain amount of pressure, and the gun keeps firing.

How did you like their attempt to distinguish bump firing using a belt loop as not a machine gun?    Not a lot of mental firepower went into that.

I had some high hopes after Bruen, when the Supreme Court sent all of these bump stock cases back to the appellate courts for further review, that we might get some different results.  The first case out of the gate does not seem to point to my high hopes being fulfilled.

There are other circuits with bump stock cases to re-evaluate, but it is easy to play follow the leader and rule, "We join our sister circuit in DC in declaring that bump stocks are machine guns . . ."  Then the next one, "We join our sister circuits in declaring . . ."

Keep in mind that all of the bump stock civil cases have been losses.  I guess we'll see whether it is the same result after Bruen and the death of Chevron deference.  If they are all losses again, it is doubtful that the Supreme Court will take up the cases due to there being no split among the circuits.

I put the case in this thread, though, because I think this case is a very strong signal on how an appellate court might rule on forced reset triggers.  As you read the opinion, think about whether all of the same arguments would not apply to the Rare Breed FRT-15.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I should point out that, while the case is unanimous, the judges were appointed by Carter, Clinton, and Obama.  While that should not matter, we all know it does.

The problem here is, of course, that this is a Trump administration rule, so can we count on, for instance, a Trump appointed judge to rule differently?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]

It works for me just by clicking on it.  It appears to work for Cycolac, too.   I have a suggestion.  Go to the article in the post of mine right after the post you quoted, and there is a link to the opinion in that article that will take you to the opinion to read.

LOL!  I get what you are saying, but now you see why I am concerned about the fate of forced reset triggers, right?  The court essentially rules that because the gun keeps firing so long as pressure is applied at a certain level, that a bump stock is a machine gun.  That describes almost exactly how a forced reset trigger is used.  Apply a certain amount of pressure, and the gun keeps firing.

How did you like their attempt to distinguish bump firing using a belt loop as not a machine gun?    Not a lot of mental firepower went into that.

I had some high hopes after Bruen, when the Supreme Court sent all of these bump stock cases back to the appellate courts for further review, that we might get some different results.  The first case out of the gate does not seem to point to my high hopes being fulfilled.

There are other circuits with bump stock cases to re-evaluate, but it is easy to play follow the leader and rule, "We join our sister circuit in DC in declaring that bump stocks are machine guns . . ."  Then the next one, "We join our sister circuits in declaring . . ."

Keep in mind that all of the bump stock civil cases have been losses.  I guess we'll see whether it is the same result after Bruen and the death of Chevron deference.  If they are all losses again, it is doubtful that the Supreme Court will take up the cases due to there being no split among the circuits.

I put the case in this thread, though, because I think this case is a very strong signal on how an appellate court might rule on forced reset triggers.  As you read the opinion, think about whether all of the same arguments would not apply to the Rare Breed FRT-15.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Cycolac:

The bump stock case had nothing to do with Bruen. It didn't even cite Bruen. Cases impacted by Bruen are just getting spun up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess I should point out that, while the case is unanimous, the judges were appointed by Carter, Clinton, and Obama.  While that should not matter, we all know it does.

The problem here is, of course, that this is a Trump administration rule, so can we count on, for instance, a Trump appointed judge to rule differently?
View Quote

Solid point and one that gets overlooked. Even good judges are not gun people. We have zero people of real power on our side.

Thanks President Trump for giving us bump stock bans and keeping us safe! Other than that, you're a solid dude.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
So in lay-man's terms, it seems like they are saying that:

To defend this bump stock rule, they aren't using Chevron Deference to defend it - they are relying upon a "reasonable" definition of "automatic" and "single function of the trigger".  Which is a leap.  They are dissecting each individual word and phrase and using one of the dictionary definitions of that term; whichever definition best lends itself to their desired conclusion.  When the current dictionary doesn't meet that goal, they are going back to either the colloquial understanding or "generally accepted/understood" meaning of such a word or phrase back in 1934 (or currently).  It's some mental gymnastics at its finest, for sure.

Note that they say they are using Chevron Deference as a secondary position that backs up their first conclusion anyway - but bring up Chevron just in case their play on definitions scheme doesn't work.

I found this interesting, referring to the definition of "machinegun":

Whether this definition encompasses bump stocks depends on how we interpret two of its interior phrases "single function of the trigger" and "automatically" and how those phrases relate to one another.  Starting with "single function of the trigger," the Bureau interprets it as a "'single pull of the trigger' and analogous motions." Bump Stock Rule, 83 Fed. Reg. at 66,515. The phrase "analogous motions" includes "other methods of initiating an automatic firing sequence that do not require a pull," like a push of a button or voice command.  The Bureau's interpretation of "single function of the trigger" thus both defines a "function" of the trigger as a "pull" of the trigger and clarifies that a "pull" of the trigger is a shooter's volitional action that initiates an automatic firing sequence.
View Quote

and

Indeed, as early as Congress began discussing restrictions
on machine guns through the National Firearms Act, a “single
function of the trigger” was understood to mean a “single pull.”
Congress initially proposed a definition of “machine gun”
based on a weapon’s capability to fire multiple shots,
specifically a firearm that could automatically or
semiautomatically shoot “twelve or more shots without
reloading.” See National Firearms Act: Hearings Before the
Comm. on Ways and Means, H.R., on H.R. 9066, 73d Cong. 1
(1934). Testifying before Congress, President of the National
Rifle Association Karl T. Frederick advocated for an
alternative definition that omitted the number of shots required
and incorporated the “single function of the trigger” language.
Id. at 40. Mr. Frederick further explained that “[t]he
distinguishing feature of a machine gun is that by a single pull
of the trigger the gun continues to fire as long as there is any
ammunition in the belt or in the magazine.” Id.4 Roughly one
month later, Congress adopted Frederick’s definition word for
word. Id. at 83. See also H.R. Rep. No. 73-1780, at 2 (1934)
(noting the bill’s “usual definition of machine gun as a weapon
designed to shoot more than one shot without reloading and by
a single pull of the trigger”). Reading “single function” to
mean a “single pull” thus reflects the term’s contemporaneous
understanding.

This definition also aligns with Congress’s purpose in
enacting federal legislation on machine guns to “[s]trictly
regulate the manufacture, sale, transfer and possession of
destructive devices” and to “combat the spiralling increase in
serious crime in the United States.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Bumpstock was not a machine gun under a "reasonable definition" before it was a machinegun under the same reasonable definition.

Therein lies the problem, and it is Chevron without saying it is Chevron.  

ATF: "It isn't Chevron at all, it is what is "reasonable".......and we alone decide what is "reasonable"....and we can change our mind on it at anytime.  Oh, and if that isn't good enough.  It is Chevron."
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
2nd Amendment Lawyer with Advice on what to do with your RB FRT:

What Can I Do With My Rare Breed Trigger Before ATF Shows Up At My Door?

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:46:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snm] [#27]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Read.

View Quote

Or for people who are simply bump firing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]
So neither of those vids speak to an important question: if you sold or destroyed the trigger, is saying that you did one of those (or providing the destroyed trigger) an admission of guilt that you had it at one point?

The Washington lawyer vid says not to disseminate photos of destroyed triggers, but he doesn't say to not say you had it at one point... why?  What's the difference?

Id assume most door knocks mean they already had records/proof that one was bought, so maybe it doesn't make a difference...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malum-Prohibitum] [#30]
I am taking this with a grain of salt.  No names.  Just a Youtube video with a claim, which is that ATF is showing up at homes for FRTs.

BREAKING NEWS: ATF Showing Up At Private Residences To Seize Forced Reset Triggers?!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By markyy:
John Crump / CRS reporting some visits related to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOCUqarx_-I&t=3s
View Quote

Summary?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Summary?
View Quote
... ATF been visiting a couple of people with them FRTs. One or both had purchased on Gunbroker.
None direct from Rare Breed seemingly just yet -
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#33]
Bruen is a great decision, but people are wrong to think it will single-handedly knock down all gun laws. It’s a gigantic step forward but there is still work to do. Just because you can’t buy a machine gun at the gas station now doesn’t mean some of the apocalyptic things I see here.

Also, Chevron deference is still with us.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw they got listed on the Forfeiture.gov site the other day. I think it was over 65 pages of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#35]
So is the general consensus these should be destroyed now by those that have them?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#36]
... ATF been visiting a couple of people with them FRTs. One or both had purchased on Gunbroker.
None direct from Rare Breed seemingly just yet -
View Quote

Probably the ATF selling them so they canllickcik their own cream cone
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:
So is the general consensus these should be destroyed now by those that have them?
View Quote

Id rather just give it to them in a bag on hand receipt and not forfeit or destroy it just to have something to try and get my money or items back down the road if it ever goes to trial.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoMoAMMO] [#38]
Originally Posted By j3_:
I saw they got listed on the Forfeiture.gov site the other day. I think it was over 65 pages of them.
View Quote

Hmmm did they take the rest of his inventory. Like how the valued them at only $1
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Probably the ATF selling them so they canllickcik their own cream cone
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Read one guy said he is planning to drop it at a gun buy back local to him.

Interesting idea, get a receipt from local po-po for if the aft comes knocking...

Total forfeiture though and I doubt they'd actually give him anything for it....
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Hmmm did they take the rest of his inventory. Like how the valued them at only $1
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/Capture_JPG-2494873.JPG
View Quote

Let's hope they don't end up in the hands of the drug cartel via Operation 'Really Fast and Furious'
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the 3 way selector variant out yet?  He should make a ton of them, and do a close out sale for Black Friday just to ensure they make it to the masses.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Id rather just give it to them in a bag on hand receipt and not forfeit or destroy it just to have something to try and get my money or items back down the road if it ever goes to trial.
View Quote
By doing that, you're showing that you possess what they consider to be a "machinegun".  They could still arrest you, which is what they did to one of the cases brought up above.  John Crump said he confirmed that the ATF "arrested" one of the people who bought the FRT.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought the guy that got arrested had other stuff, like the Wish Glock switch and his trigger was thrown in with that mix?

I don't even own an FRT, but I still don't think I'd destroy it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought the guy that got arrested had other stuff, like the Wish Glock switch and his trigger was thrown in with that mix?

I don't even own an FRT, but I still don't think I'd destroy it.
View Quote
I'm referring to the more recent one from John Crump's video yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malum-Prohibitum] [#46]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
I'm referring to the more recent one from John Crump's video yesterday.
View Quote

Then why is there not a name?  Arrests are public record.

Anybody know Paul Britton Finch?  He was not arrested, but that is the name of the poster on social media claiming he got a visit from the ATF.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody notice the the letter is the Charlotte Field Office, but the business card from Agent Chuck Donohoe shows Shrevesport, LA?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Then why is there not a name?  Arrests are public record.

Anybody know Paul Britton Finch?  He was not arrested, but that is the name of the poster on social media claiming he got a visit from the ATF.
View Quote
He addresses that specifically in his video.  Just spend the 4 minutes and watch it.  It's linked above.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malum-Prohibitum] [#49]
. . . .
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#50]

What is the payoff to spend that time staring at a video?  Since you know, can you tell me?  It's not going to be a name, is it?  An actual record?  Anything?  Was there a point to playing coy in your post and not just telling me what is so important that I should lose money to watch the video more slowly and in painstaking detail a second time?
View Quote

No one tell this guy
Page / 56
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top