Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2022 7:32:18 PM EDT
Has anyone picked up the mantle yet, on making these?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of those back in the 1980s.

I would buy one to put together a retro 1980's kit version build.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been looking for them for 2-3 years off and on. I’ve never come across any except once on a complete rifle that was for sale on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave up looking and instead shaved the back of an A2 knob enlarged the hole in back so it would fit over an a1 wheel and lined it up so that I could use an A2 roll pin. Very pleased with the result

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a buddy with some of those knobs (colt NOS) that I can get. What are they worth? Pm me and I will get you one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Rapidex Drum Sight at Gun Parts Corp. $14

@Et2ss
@cdecro00
@Carbinekid
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking for a while too with no luck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised no one has tried to make a cloned reproduction of it yet.

I for certain want one too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok gents, my buddy got back to me and I’ll have 5-6 of them to get to you guys. Let me know if you want one. I’m going to get a couple for myself.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I see Luth-AR has them now.   https://www.luth-ar.com/product/a1-rear-sight-rapid-index-knob/
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see Luth-AR has them now.   https://www.luth-ar.com/product/a1-rear-sight-rapid-index-knob/
View Quote

Thanks! Ordered one for myself
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Oh well, someone bought them all. I had one in my cart when I posted that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how many they had?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I was contacted offline with one for sale at $55. If you think that is outrageous like most anything retro being bought up and then gouging those in need then try my A2 mod, way better feel function and cost. WTTW
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered one last week, they look good IMO but I am not super anal retentive about this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably will find out in the EE.

Meanwhile these are in stock and mine just shipped.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I ordered one last week, they look good IMO but I am not super anal retentive about this stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to be able to finally zero my C7, but the shallow leaf spring area makes it almost impossible to turn that knob and it's not something that I want to fight with all day at the range just to get a basic zero. This knob should do the trick though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They make a tool.
View Quote

I'm sure they do. But I didn't ever have to fight my A1 clone to get it dialed in.

Anyway, what's done is done, it's been ordered and nothing can stop it from being used after installation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd like to be able to finally zero my C7, but the shallow leaf spring area makes it almost impossible to turn that knob and it's not something that I want to fight with all day at the range just to get a basic zero. This knob should do the trick though.
View Quote

It was a pain in the ass to put on! I ended up taking some of the spring and detent off to make it adjust easier.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I got 2 back when midway was blowing them out at $4 a pop.
FYI I used the ballbearing from the A2 sight as it made it much easier to use.
Can’t remember if the springs are the same length or if I had to get a2 springs.
Also I found using a vices to press in the long thin roll pins in better than any other method I tried. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Sucks that they’re $18 but when you’re the only game in town…
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was a pain in the ass to put on! I ended up taking some of the spring and detent off to make it adjust easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y’all must have bought the same Brownell’s uppers that I did. Those rear sights are a b****.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine.. but my upper came with it when I bought it off a co-worker in like 2007-8-9ish.  I had no idea what I had until I started my build a few months ago and someone pointed it out to me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Y’all must have bought the same Brownell’s uppers that I did. Those rear sights are a b****.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine came from Optics Planet
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I used the A1 wheel as a template, dimpled the back of a A2 knob, used the A2 screw and it was a done deal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got 3 Thanks, Luth probably has the patents on the part because DPMS was the original manufacturer back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Got 3 Thanks, Luth probably has the patents on the part because DPMS was the original manufacturer back in the day.
View Quote

They definitely don’t have the patent. The luth are different from the usgi. Ridges on the wheel and the font.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They definitely don’t have the patent. The luth are different from the usgi. Ridges on the wheel and the font.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always known the Rapidex Wheels to be a commercial item, never saw anything about them being a USGI part.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember tagging Luth-AR about making Rapidex knobs on the forum a couple of years ago and Dustin said they were planning on it. Glad to see them come through, even if it took a little longer than expected.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Cant-find-Rapidex-a1-sight-drum/123-731121/
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have a foolproof way to install these, this is frustrating
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm wondering if they include a ball detent to replace the locking detent that is part of the A1 windage adjustment wheel? Otherwise I'd assume they'd install the same as installing the standard A1 windage adjustment wheel. Using a 1/16"th roll pin punch to hold everything together as a slave pin makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if they include a ball detent to replace the detent that is part of the A1 windage adjustment wheel? Otherwise I'd assume they'd install the same as installing the standard A1 windage adjustment wheel. Using a 1/16"th roll pin punch to hold everything together as a slave pin makes all the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering if they include a ball detent to replace the detent that is part of the A1 windage adjustment wheel? Otherwise I'd assume they'd install the same as installing the standard A1 windage adjustment wheel. Using a 1/16"th roll pin punch to hold everything together as a slave pin makes all the difference.

Nope, just a really long roll pin and the rapidex repro wheel. I'm trying to use another roll pin punch from a spare set as a slave but man, it seems any which way I try to line it up something becomes off.

I had to step away before I got frustrated and let frustration get the best of me. After I cool off a bit I'm going to go back in the garage and use a magnifier along with a handheld light.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope, just a really long roll pin and the rapidex repro wheel. I'm trying to use another roll pin punch from a spare set as a slave but man, it seems any which way I try to line it up something becomes off.

I had to step away before I got frustrated and let frustration get the best of me. After I cool off a bit I'm going to go back in the garage and use a magnifier along with a handheld light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, that's interesting... I wouldn't assume that the original locking detent and possibly even the spring from the A1 windage wheel would be at all compatible with the Rapidex knob, but I've never had one to look at in person.

Also, if you don't have a 1/16"th roll pin holder punch to get the roll pin started I could imagine getting frustrated at the procedure and trying to get everything lined up.

I might have to order one of these Rapidex knobs from Luth when/if they come back in stock just to see if they come with a decent set of instructions. I'm actually a fan of the A1 type rear sights because they can't get knocked out of adjustment, but I'm still interested in the Rapidex knob for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hmm, that's interesting... I wouldn't assume that the original locking detent and possibly even the spring from the A1 windage wheel would be at all compatible with the Rapidex knob, but I've never had one to look at in person.

Also, if you don't have a 1/16"th roll pin holder punch to get the roll pin started I could imagine getting frustrated at the procedure and trying to get everything lined up.

I might have to order one of these Rapidex knobs from Luth when/if they come back in stock just to see if they come with a decent set of instructions. I'm actually a fan of the A1 type rear sights because they can't get knocked out of adjustment, but I'm still interested in the Rapidex knob for some reason.
View Quote

Something is out of spec. I used a Luth AR A1 rear sight parts kit for this C7. The Rapidex is also from Luth AR. Either there was a miss drill on the Rapidex repro or the rear sight windage screw is too short.

I'm going to see about getting another windage screw from elsewhere. Wish me luck in finding one from somewhere
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Something is out of spec. I used a Luth AR A1 rear sight parts kit for this C7. The Rapidex is also from Luth AR. Either there was a miss drill on the Rapidex repro or the rear sight windage screw is too short.

I'm going to see about getting another windage screw from elsewhere. Wish me luck in finding one from somewhere
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap, yeah I wish you luck man. It seems like I run into either compatibility issues or tolerance stacking issues often enough on my end. I got very frustrated with A2 butt plate and trap door compatibility issues last year and it nearly took a year searching for, buying and testing out a bunch of different combinations to get it all sorted out. With Luth-AR I wouldn't doubt that something might be out of spec with their A1 rear sight kit. I remember when they first came out that they had some issues.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been over a decade since I installed mine, but I remember I started the long roll pin in the knob before attaching it.  And, I think I used an opened paper clip to align the knob with the sight screw before tapping in the pin.  I believe you can use a ball detent from an A2 sight instead of the original rod detent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's been over a decade since I installed mine, but I remember I started the long roll pin in the knob before attaching it.  And, I think I used an opened paper clip to align the knob with the sight screw before tapping in the pin.  I believe you can use a ball detent from an A2 sight instead of the original rod detent.
https://i.imgur.com/kxCsqSf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/kxCsqSf.jpg

That's a neat idea, I'll let you all know what happens if this problem gets solved or not.

The C7 was a Luth AR product. The A1 parts kit was also a Luth AR product. The Rapidex reproduction was also a Luth AR product. Yet all three have tolerance stacking issues

Do they not own a set of calipers and do QC and QC before things leave the door ?

Ugh. Does anyone know if the A1 windage screw all comes from the same OEM? I'm looking at KAK right now to but a few.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top