Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2020 6:20:34 AM EDT
I've gotten into the Run N Gun biathlon events over the last year or so and have decided I want to build a RECCE style AR for these types of events. For those that don't know, it's basically a 5K or 10K spartan race type run combined with 4-6 shooting stages spread out over the distance. Tactical 2-gun with target engagements from 25-600 yards sometimes. The first few I've done with my SBR, but I've determined I need a little more accuracy at distance, so the RECCE is my solution. I've narrowed it down to 4 options. Let me know thoughts, pros, cons, etc.

1) BCM RECCE 16" mid length Enhanced lightweight complete upper

2) Triarc Systems complete upper with 16" Track 2.0 barrel

3) Home build with Faxon 16" mid length pencil barrel

4) Home build with Ballistic Advantage 16" mid length BA Hanson profile barrel
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
How much mechanical accuracy is needed?
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Need to reliably hit targets up to 600 yards, ideally a 2 moa or less. Budget in the $600-800 range for upper
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need to reliably hit targets up to 600 yards, ideally a 2 moa or less. Budget in the $600-800 range for upper
View Quote
Most any barrel should hit 2moa with a round it likes. I'd pick the one on sale or that most appeals to you for whichever reason, with that threshold.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a BCM get a stainless barrel.  In fact if you need 2MOA, go stainless.

I've had a few of ELWs and they've all super sucked from an accuracy standpoint.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I say you should buy a blem PSA 7” upper and do the whole thing on hard mode. They will still shoot 2 moa or so with good ammo, but I have no idea what holdovers would look like at 600 yards
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Build that rifle around the best 16” true Recce profile match stainless barrel you can afford.  Barrel and a good two stage trigger combo is where to make the $$$ investment.  Those two items and any good lightweight free float rail will get you where you need with accuracy.  You can skimp in other areas.

There are ways to save weight that do not compromise barrel stiffness.  A 16” true Recce barrel will weigh 2 pounds 2 ounces.  That’s not bad and it is very rigid.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out centurion arms recce upper its one of the best out there , my next choice would be larue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out centurion arms recce upper its one of the best out there , my next choice would be larue.
View Quote
This.. Or at least their Douglas Recce barrel and build it

BCM makes stuff that works but they are not the most accurate barrels IMO

I would also look at having compass lake spin a barrel from a criterion or douglass blank

The triarc you listed should be accurate along with a Larue ultimate upper

I would def lean towards a build with the barrel being the focus for a RECCE build.  Would also go with a quality stainless barrel if you want accuracy
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I would:

PRI/bergara Recon barrel or CLE Recon barrel

Bcm MCMR rail

Quality upper, Diemaco if you can get your hands on one.

I’m currently running a CHF AAC mid length barrel which I would highly recommend but they are hard to find and cost as much as the bergara when you do find them. The recon barrel profile will add some weight but with the bcm rail you’ll barely notice it.

Overall setup is less than 7lbs unloaded.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:25:46 AM EDT
[#11]
What's your current set up and more importantly, what optic are you using? You can't hit what you can't see.

I've done more RnGs with SBRs (10.3 and 12.5, next one might be an 11.5) than I have with a 16in gun and been quite successful at it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:31:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I would homebuild. I would spend quite a bit on the barrel and cut weight everywhere else.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Been running a PSW mk111 with an EXPS3 and G33. It's fine most of the time, but the targets beyond 300 are tuff for me. Last one I shot had a 580 yard target. Couldn't figure out my dope to adjust. I've picked up a Burris xtr2 1-8 for this recce build, but I guess I could toss it on the pws just as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been running a PSW mk111 with an EXPS3 and G33. It's fine most of the time, but the targets beyond 300 are tuff for me. Last one I shot had a 580 yard target. Couldn't figure out my dope to adjust. I've picked up a Burris xtr2 1-8 for this recce build, but I guess I could toss it on the pws just as well.
View Quote
Put 1-8 on SBR and enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would homebuild. I would spend quite a bit on the barrel and cut weight everywhere else.
View Quote
^ this. Check out White Oak Armaments fluted 16" SDM and fluted ultra match series for outstanding accuracy (precision), reduced weight and reasonable pricing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top