AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which LPVOs have reticles that can be effectively used without battery?
View Quote

C-More C3 comes to mind here. The 1.5 MOA dot is friggin' great. I know going that large is anathema to a lot of precision guys, but for run-and-gun LPVO usage, it works very well. Rest of the reticle is quite well-designed, too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised there aren't more magnifiers that are greater than 3x.
View Quote

There is a 5x Eotech magnifier that's shipping any day now. G45 I think?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There is a 5x Eotech magnifier that's shipping any day now. G45 I think?
View Quote
And doesn't Aimpoint have a 6x?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And doesn't Aimpoint have a 6x?
View Quote

I just seen one for $800ish by that time I may as well grab a quality lpvo. I just got a budget h1 off EE with a lower 1/3rd to go on a Scar 17 until I feel like spending 1200-2200 on a really nice lpvo and mount. I have several micro's but they are all zeroed on different rifles and I figured I'd sell it or put it on a budget build down the line after I got a scope.

I'm seeing the aimpoint 3xc magnifier with a Larue qd mount for relatively cheap but need to figure out what goes with all my 1/3rd height mounts? Larue's description didn't really say exactly what model to get.

I like the idea of a qd magnifier and I like the 4x acog but really I don't see a major benefit over a 1x all though nice. That leads me to want 6x, 8x, or even 10x but I'm going to wait until funds allow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I never posted that there aren't any magnifiers greater than 3x, only that I'm surprised there aren't more with the recent resurgence and advancement of prism scopes.

The Eotech G45 has my attention.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a Razor 1-6 at one time and while the glass was amazing I remember the reticle on 1x being largely unusable without power. And of course the battery life is counted in days-not-years.

Also had a VCOG and that was definitely usable without illumination, and had a bit longer battery life. But not quite daylight bright.
View Quote

P4xi
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just seen one for $800ish by that time I may as well grab a quality lpvo. I just got a budget h1 off EE with a lower 1/3rd to go on a Scar 17 until I feel like spending 1200-2200 on a really nice lpvo and mount. I have several micro's but they are all zeroed on different rifles and I figured I'd sell it or put it on a budget build down the line after I got a scope.

I'm seeing the aimpoint 3xc magnifier with a Larue qd mount for relatively cheap but need to figure out what goes with all my 1/3rd height mounts? Larue's description didn't really say exactly what model to get.

I like the idea of a qd magnifier and I like the 4x acog but really I don't see a major benefit over a 1x all though nice. That leads me to want 6x, 8x, or even 10x but I'm going to wait until funds allow.
View Quote
I hear ya, I wasn't advocating for it, just listing it as an option I'd seen.

I personally haven't liked the Aimpoint/EoTech with magnifiers that I've tried. I seem to be an either/or kinda guy. Either have a reddot or have mag, not both (at least not in the same package).
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hear ya, I wasn't advocating for it, just listing it as an option I'd seen.

I personally haven't liked the Aimpoint/EoTech with magnifiers that I've tried. I seem to be an either/or kinda guy. Either have a reddot or have mag, not both (at least not in the same package).
View Quote

I don't have any experience with a magnifier but from my limited use of 4x I think I'd prefer higher magnification then 3x or just use a 1x RDS.

I probably would grab a 3x at the right price but I'm going to look at a lpvo if I'm looking. I do have a hard time seeing past 200 if I'm trying for groups.

I'm very novice with scopes and want something simple but I was tempted to grab a razor 1-10 recently but I'm going to start with a jm1 type 1-6 until I know what I'm capable of.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most LPVOs have reticles that can be used without illumination.  How "effective" those reticles are depends on many factors, including area lighting, target composition, and background clutter.

I had a Razor 1-6 at one time and while the glass was amazing I remember the reticle on 1x being largely unusable without power. And of course the battery life is counted in days-not-years.

Also had a VCOG and that was definitely usable without illumination, and had a bit longer battery life. But not quite daylight bright.

The Razor 1-6x reticle is VERY useable without illumination, as is one on my Nightforce NX8 and a couple of Leupold LPVOs.  Not sure what you are expecting from a reticle, but I have no problem picking up both it, and an target, in most conditions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Once you get to DFP LPVOs they really come into their own though.
There are scopes with nearly parallax free beamsplitters on the SFP, with precision FFP reticles combined.
When DFPs start to get affordable, things will really change.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most LPVOs have reticles that can be used without illumination.  How "effective" those reticles are depends on many factors, including area lighting, target composition, and background clutter.

The Razor 1-6x reticle is VERY useable without illumination, as is one on my Nightforce NX8 and a couple of Leupold LPVOs.  Not sure what you are expecting from a reticle, but I have no problem picking up both it, and an target, in most conditions.
View Quote

100% agreed.  I never turn on the illumination on my Razor 1-6 HD unless I am in low light.  The reticle works perfect without illumination.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These guys do some transitions with surprising results. I wish someone did one with a few more targets but this was the best one I found.
View Quote

Your wish has been granted...

Close range multiple target array comparisons:
TR24 vs Aimpoint

ACOG+RDS offset vs TR24

Votex Razor vs Aimpoint

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you trained yourself to carry 4 ars?

Christ on a pogo stick that's the most ignorant thing I've seen today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SHTF crowd are clowns in fantasy land.

You build an for gaming, hunting, or self defense.  

There is less than zero good reasons to only have one AR, so a one optic solution is a bad idea.

So you trained yourself to carry 4 ars?

Christ on a pogo stick that's the most ignorant thing I've seen today.

I'll point out again that I've already had to grab one rifle and go; SHTF can mean a lot of different things, starting with "you can take one rifle right now, you have 10 minutes to choose"

Those worrying about battery life and LPVO's, don't forget second focal plane is a thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Samuse - SHTF is 100% guaranteed.  We watched our cities go up in flames due to Marxist riots.  The communists in our government stole the Presidential election.  All the courts shut us down.  The left has promised to come after conservatives.

Even Stevie Wonder can see this coming.  

You are a fool if you don't see the writing on the wall.
View Quote

lol.  ^ the reason ammo is $3 a round.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samuse - SHTF is 100% guaranteed.  We watched our cities go up in flames due to Marxist riots.  The communists in our government stole the Presidential election.  All the courts shut us down.  The left has promised to come after conservatives.

Even Stevie Wonder can see this coming.  

You are a fool if you don't see the writing on the wall.

I hope SJ395 is wrong.

But Hope isn't a strategy.  Planning and Preparation are.  I seriously doubt any action here at home will be a "stand up" fight.  More likely hit & run and ambush tactics will be used.  And I prefer a LPVO to give me the widest range of possible options.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll point out again that I've already had to grab one rifle and go; SHTF can mean a lot of different things, starting with "you can take one rifle right now, you have 10 minutes to choose"

Those worrying about battery life and LPVO's, don't forget second focal plane is a thing.
View Quote

Well I never keep everything I own in one location, 10 minutes? thats enough time to gear up, grab my 10.5 pistol with a p4xi and be confident in it and my abilities.
Hell I would still have time to grab my go bags and toss them in the car and get out of town because I dont live in a metro.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your wish has been granted...

Close range multiple target array comparisons:
TR24 vs Aimpoint

ACOG+RDS offset vs TR24

Votex Razor vs Aimpoint

View Quote

So no speed difference with a daylight bright LPVO from a red dot. He even did offset targeting.

I've never timed myself because I've never owned one, but whenever I used an offset red dot it felt slow and awkward. That's most likely a practice issue combined with the tiny window of an RMR, so I wonder if that was the case for him too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the VCOG worth the price?  I have talked myself out of the TA-44 as the ultimate SHTF optic.  
Leaning towards a VCOG
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So no speed difference with a daylight bright LPVO from a red dot. He even did offset targeting.

I've never timed myself because I've never owned one, but whenever I used an offset red dot it felt slow and awkward. That's most likely a practice issue combined with the tiny window of an RMR, so I wonder if that was the case for him too.
View Quote

It's not a practice issue, at least not for him (shooter in the ACOG video)...
He's won many 2 gun matches (often beating Taran Butler) and is currently the reigning (4x in row) USPSA Nationals Champion in the PCC division.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the VCOG worth the price?  I have talked myself out of the TA-44 as the ultimate SHTF optic.  
Leaning towards a VCOG
View Quote

Perhaps this might help you;
VCOG review
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Leaning towards a VCOG
View Quote

Heavy and not daylight bright...Like the reviewer in the video said, not worth the price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's won many 2 gun matches (often beating Taran Butler) and is currently the reigning (4x in row) USPSA Nationals Champion in the PCC division.
View Quote
Oh yeah I don't think I'd ever compare my shooting capability with Superset.
Sure with a lot of practice and familiarity it'll be just as quick but most people can't practice that much.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Heavy and not daylight bright...Like the reviewer in the video said, not worth the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaning towards a VCOG

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guess I'll eat my shoe.

Interesting to see in almost all of these videos an LPVO is just as fast as a red dot, even in compromised positions. Pretty clear anyone who says an LPVO is slower at 1X is missing out, with the caveat of daylight brightness.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty clear anyone who says an LPVO is slower at 1X is missing out, with the caveat of daylight brightness.
View Quote
My only problem is that the quantity of LPVO's that the consensus says are daylight bright are very few in number and expensive.

I have a really good job and living in the Midwest has my living expenses pretty low, comparatively speaking, but I have a VERY hard time spending more than $1000 on glass. I've bought 3 used ACOG's now (under $1k), but I can't convince my self the extra money is worth it for a brighter reticle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My only problem is that the quantity of LPVO's that the consensus says are daylight bright are very few in number and expensive.

I have a really good job and living in the Midwest has my living expenses pretty low, comparatively speaking, but I have a VERY hard time spending more than $1000 on glass. I've bought 3 used ACOG's now (under $1k), but I can't convince my self the extra money is worth it for a brighter reticle.
View Quote

Ok but it is though
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Find a used P4Xi for $600, find a Viper PST 1-6x for $600 retail give or take.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a few under $1k but they all come with trade offs.

Leupold Mk3-HD: Not out yet, but it's 1.5-4 and is showing as $700. Comes with HD glass, a throw lever, and knob illumination which to me is an upgrade over their button system. Will also be the lightest illuminated LPVO on the list by a bit if you can stomach the 1.5X.

Vortex PST: Great optic but significantly heavier than e erything else if that matters to you. I'd probably be using one of these if I wasn't a weight psycho. At $600 they're a pretty good deal.

Steiner P4xi: Used to be the best buy, but not many people thinking they're worth it at the current $800 price, and I'd agree. At $650 from select sources it's still a solid buy.

Trijicon Accupoint: Very well rounded and never needs batteries for $725 or so. That same plus is also a minus if you're shooting from shade into sun, and the reticle will lose output in overcast weather.

Trijicon Credo HX Hunter: These come in around $800 and people are raving about them.

Delta Stryker: Made in Japan and referred to as a Razor minus the HD glass. Look to be around $700 but supply is kinda sketchy right now since they're not based in the US.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree with everything you said. I'm running a 1x8 lpvo with an offset red dot and in my opinion is the best set up i've had. i have an Eotech XPS2 and an Eotech 3x magnifier. I love my XPS2 but i hate running the magnifier with it. main problem is the eye relief. I haven't found a magnifier yet that has eye relief more than 1 1/2" to 2" regardless what the manufacturer says. I know with a lpvo you have to get right behind the scope to avoid scope shadow but the eye relief is good for me. I ordered a Primary Arms SLx 3x32 prism scope. im thinking about relacing my lpvo and running the 3x prism with the offset red dot. i was keeping my lpvo at 3-4x and training with my offset red dot. just wondering what all experiences yall have had with your optic set ups?  This is just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
since are we talking the average man on the street when the End Of Times comes and you said this; <100y-150y

i'll take an RDS or even irons in my area. i just dont see armed conflict at 100+ and if that is the happening, we should all have long range set ups to counter that.  

-------------------

Quoted:

Accupoint
View Quote

that is my solution to this age old question as well
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's a few under $1k but they all come with trade offs.

Leupold Mk3-HD: Not out yet, but it's 1.5-4 and is showing as $700. Comes with HD glass, a throw lever, and knob illumination which to me is an upgrade over their button system. Will also be the lightest illuminated LPVO on the list by a bit if you can stomach the 1.5X.

Vortex PST: Great optic but significantly heavier than e erything else if that matters to you. I'd probably be using one of these if I wasn't a weight psycho. At $600 they're a pretty good deal.

Steiner P4xi: Used to be the best buy, but not many people thinking they're worth it at the current $800 price, and I'd agree. At $650 from select sources it's still a solid buy.

Trijicon Accupoint: Very well rounded and never needs batteries for $725 or so. That same plus is also a minus if you're shooting from shade into sun, and the reticle will lose output in overcast weather.

Trijicon Credo HX Hunter: These come in around $800 and people are raving about them.

Delta Stryker: Made in Japan and referred to as a Razor minus the HD glass. Look to be around $700 but supply is kinda sketchy right now since they're not based in the US.
View Quote
A couple of these weren't on my radar.

The Credo is, but there seems to be some argument as to whether or not the reticle is actually bright enough. Price/feature ratio seems decent and I like the reticles.

Thanks for writing that up
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh yeah I don't think I'd ever compare my shooting capability with Superset.
Sure with a lot of practice and familiarity it'll be just as quick but most people can't practice that much.
View Quote

Supersetca (Paul) is also a competition shooter and a decent one at that, however the person I was referring to in the ACOG vs TR24 video is Maxamundi (Max)... you'll see him in most of Supersetca's videos.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Interesting to see in almost all of these videos an LPVO is just as fast as a red dot, even in compromised positions. Pretty clear anyone who says an LPVO is slower at 1X is missing out, with the caveat of daylight brightness.
View Quote

The limitation in meeting or exceeding RDS performance with an LPVO is typically an issue with the shooter.  Anyone who invests some free-time into Dryfire training with their LPVO, should quickly find themselves meeting or beating their live-fire RDS times.  Of course this is assuming that the LPVO in use isn't hindering performance due to a limited eye-box and/or poor illumination...
heck even a Burris LPVO can outrun an Aimpoint: Burris vs Aimpoint
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:11:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The limitation in meeting or exceeding RDS performance with an LPVO is typically an issue with the shooter.  Anyone who invests some free-time into Dryfire training with their LPVO, should quickly find themselves meeting or beating their live-fire RDS times.  Of course this is assuming that the LPVO in use isn't hindering performance due to a limited eye-box and/or poor illumination...
heck even a Burris LPVO can outrun an Aimpoint: Burris vs Aimpoint
View Quote

I think a lot of it is from years ago when daylight brightness was a rarity and glass quality wasn't quite as good.

I haven't tested a red dot to an LPVO, but I have tested a non daylight bright 1X LPVO to a daylight bright 1.5X LPVO. Even being 1.5X the daylight bright illumination smoked the non day light bright, especially at transitions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been researching LPVOs a lot lately to maybe put on my 11.5 sbr but really love Aimpoint RDS too... haven't seen too much mention of NF NX8 in this thread. Anyone have much to say about them?

The thing that really attracts me to it is just how much smaller it looks than most other LPVOs. It really looks no bigger than a red dot + magnifier combo.

From everything I've gathered, reviews seem to say it's great for 1x "red dot type" use and just so-so on 8x for reaching out further... but frankly that's what I want. A small, light lpvo that excels at 1x but can do higher magnification when need be.

I hate the idea of hanging an RDS at 45 degrees off my rifle... it bangs around in my truck or atv too much and i just can't stand how they look, so if I go LPVO I'd like one I don't feel the need to do that with.

I checked out a TA31F at my LGS today thinking an ACOG with RMR on top might work, but as someone else mentioned I felt like I had to practically put my eye right up in the optic to see clearly out of it, didn't care for that much. Vortex Razor 1-10 was awesome but way bigger than I want.

Can anyone speak to the NX8?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been researching LPVOs a lot lately to maybe put on my 11.5 sbr but really love Aimpoint RDS too...
View Quote

I highly recommend that you watch this video; LPVO Beginners Guide
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been researching LPVOs a lot lately to maybe put on my 11.5 sbr but really love Aimpoint RDS too... haven't seen too much mention of NF NX8 in this thread. Anyone have much to say about them?

The thing that really attracts me to it is just how much smaller it looks than most other LPVOs. It really looks no bigger than a red dot + magnifier combo.

From everything I've gathered, reviews seem to say it's great for 1x "red dot type" use and just so-so on 8x for reaching out further... but frankly that's what I want. A small, light lpvo that excels at 1x but can do higher magnification when need be.

I hate the idea of hanging an RDS at 45 degrees off my rifle... it bangs around in my truck or atv too much and i just can't stand how they look, so if I go LPVO I'd like one I don't feel the need to do that with.

I checked out a TA31F at my LGS today thinking an ACOG with RMR on top might work, but as someone else mentioned I felt like I had to practically put my eye right up in the optic to see clearly out of it, didn't care for that much. Vortex Razor 1-10 was awesome but way bigger than I want.

View Quote

I love the NX8 in that role -- it's just like a T1/T2 at 1x and very easy to use. The size and weight is great.

The only thing I don't care for is the reticle because I like some bdc, otherwise it's 100%.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I love the NX8 in that role -- it's just like a T1/T2 at 1x and very easy to use. The size and weight is great.

The only thing I don't care for is the reticle because I like some bdc, otherwise it's 100%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  I have mine on a 1.93" Scalarworks and like it a lot.  People complain about the finicky eye box, but it isn't an issue with reps.

The brightness is class leading, and the NX8 is built for combat, not precision long range.  It can be used at 6-8x but shines in its weight and lower end shooting.  I really like it a lot, but it is pricey.

That said, I still believe my Aimpoint T2 and 3x Mag in the Unity Tactical mount systems to be my go-to as owning <100-150y as paramount...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top