BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2021 2:51:18 AM EDT
The topic has been run through, but this is a good article on the relevancy of an RDS.  Kyle Defoor has his opinion , but an RDS (especially with an added magnifier see 3:35) does have its place.  

Again, the topic is not novel, but the LPVO push needs perspective.  NX8, ATACR, Vortex 1-10, Kahles 1-x...good for what they're meant to be.  But a high end RDS or Holo with a high end magnifier can be difficult to replace.  Battery life, durability, eye relief, *edit* and weight, are all relevant in the discussion.

Yeah, mission drives gear.  No matter how high end the LPVO, there are too many scenarios where a high end RDS or RDS +magnifier reign supreme...even today and or the foreseeable future.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I was with you right up until you said "Battery life, durability, eye relief are all relevant in the discussion."

A good etched glass reticle on a 1-6 SFP LPVO does not require a battery to aim, unlike a Red Dot high end or not and with or without a Magnifier.

Durability is a wash, as you can match a LPVO with a side mounted Red Dot, but the Magnifier combo is near useless without it's battery generated aiming point.

And finally the eye relief on an Aimpoint $1200. 3XMag-1™ Magnifier - 39mm FlipMount & Twist Mount base is 2.9"

The Vortex Razor Gen II E 1-6x24mm also @ $1200. has a  4" eye relief.  The Red dots on both are unlimited.

Does this mean that a Red Dot & Magnifier has no place??  Of course not.  But it's no longer the be all and end all combination for all scenario's.

A 1-4  or 1-6 SFP LVPO coupled with a side mounted Red Dot is giving the old team a good run for it's money.

A 1-8 or 1-10 FFP LPVO is a different animal, and does not play in the same sandbox as Red Dot + Magnifier or the 1-4/1-6 SFP LPVO's

The LPVO's are only going to get better, over time, where as the Red Dot + Magnifier combo is reaching the end of it's development/possible improvement cycle.

IMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was with you right up until you said "Battery life, durability, eye relief are all relevant in the discussion."

A good etched glass reticle on a 1-6 SFP LPVO does not require a battery to aim, unlike a Red Dot high end or not and with or without a Magnifier.

Durability is a wash, as you can match a LPVO with a side mounted Red Dot, but the Magnifier combo is near useless without it's battery generated aiming point.

And finally the eye relief on an Aimpoint $1200. 3XMag-1™ Magnifier - 39mm FlipMount & Twist Mount base is 2.9"

The Vortex Razor Gen II E 1-6x24mm also @ $1200. has a  4" eye relief.  The Red dots on both are unlimited.

Does this mean that a Red Dot & Magnifier has no place??  Of course not.  But it's no longer the be all and end all combination for all scenario's.

A 1-4  or 1-6 SFP LVPO coupled with a side mounted Red Dot is giving the old team a good run for it's money.

A 1-8 or 1-10 FFP LPVO is a different animal, and does not play in the same sandbox as Red Dot + Magnifier or the 1-4/1-6 SFP LPVO's

The LPVO's are only going to get better, over time, where as the Red Dot + Magnifier combo is reaching the end of it's development/possible improvement cycle.

IMHO and YMMV
View Quote

Good call out and comment.  Added an *edit* to also consider.

With the hot topic of SHTF and scenario-based opinions, I personally believe <100y-150y is where you need to own the fight.  This doesn't mean an LPVO is a poor choice here, or that 100Y+ doesn't have a place, or PID is trivialized, but I believe a QD magnifier behind an Aimpoint is very tough to beat in many real-world scenarios even despite what the pundits say.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Good edit...

You got me there.  Weight is relevant and any decent LPVO, it's mount, side mounted Red Dot and it's mount, are chunky monkeys.  In real world terms, your talking nearly a full pound of extra baggage with a LVOP/Red Dot combo, over a Red Dot+ Magnifier.

Depending on your mission that could be a no-go.

On the other hand, a good LPVO with a ranging reticle, and adjustable turrets, is the berries on most engagements north of 250 yds or so.

You pay your money and you make you choice......Like anything else choose wisely!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The LPVO is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Most people build their SHTF rifle to be the same. With one rifle and one optic you can cover the entire max "effective range" of the 5.56.  

Magnifiers work, but majority of them have eye boxes that are significantly worse than an LPVO. It can be a plus or a minus to have two separate optical systems, but most people are going to prefer simplicity.

The most realistic SHTF for 99% of civilians is going to be home defense at ranges a red dot will be superior. Then again, most people build 16" guns for it which isn't exactly the best choice for close work.

If a zombie apocalypse/foreign invasion/civil war broke out tomorrow, I'd grab an LPVO. I'll take the minor close speed deficit for the full range performance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The LPVO vs RDS (+mag) debate will rage on but... you can put whatever you want on top of your gun... LPVO, RDS w/ mag, irons, etc... None matter unless you know it's capabilities and limitations. Training is the answer.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
AR-15 Red Dot vs Magnified Optic with Sentinel Concepts
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Mission drives gear. Not a real big revelation there. The real problem is that people either don't consider mission, or are deluded about what the mission really entails. You wind up with dudes trying to figure out how to make 600yd shots with their SHTF rifle when they don't even have a 300yd lane of fire within their suburban neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
These guys do some transitions with surprising results. I wish someone did one with a few more targets but this was the best one I found.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
And then there is this thing called astigmatism, which makes the whole discussion moot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
After doing lpvo, red dot, red dot + magnifier. If you can’t have mission specific guns go 2.5-10 with and offset red dot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
To be fair, the dot+mag has a couple more benefits depending on your gear.

1. You can't really passively aim with NVG through LPVO's. I can't make it work, having some kind of dot at that 2.26" height for passive aiming matters. I loooooove LPVO's but a "night gun" will never have one on it imo.

2. You can take the magnifier off when you don't want or need it on there so you don't have to incur that weight penalty 24/7. An LPVO's weight will always be there. Full disclosure I would not take my magnifier off ever but you could.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been solidly in the red dot or TA-31 camp for years. With the advent of the LPVO and be getting back into AR's recently, it has left me at a crossroads.

Huge proponent of red dots (don't even like the magnifiers), but even with my 20/15 vision, I seem to go from wanting to hit a certain area on the target, to just wanting to hit the target. The 4x of the ACOG doesn't really fix that issue either. With my particular AO, I live in a small town, so the "300yds in suburbia" fact rings pretty true unless we're bugging out. Then, the great state of Iowa allows to you see for miles upon miles.

I need to pick up a couple Aimpoint PROs for some shorties, but my next SHTF inspired build will be an LPVO with offset red dot. Perfectly brackets the two diverse ends of the spectrum for terrain around me, and will allow easy hits/Identification out to the limits of the 5.56.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have astigmatism, so etched reticles work a lot better for me. I still have some Aimpoints, and they are usable, but the dot is a blurry starburst. I want to try out a magnifier at some point, but I don't know how the magnifier will effect the dots appearance with my astigmatism. All that taken into consideration, I much prefer LPVO's and ACOGS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The SHTF crowd are clowns in fantasy land.

You build an for gaming, hunting, or self defense.  

There is less than zero good reasons to only have one AR, so a one optic solution is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I continue to go back to the weight as such a huge variable.  I'm not small or weak, but there is a difference between a 23 ounce LPVO (no offset RDS) and a micro red dot.  10 hour hunting sessions with a rig using an LPVO becomes cumbersome, and this was just with a 1-4x.  Now take a Vortex and offset RMR/T2...you're pushing 28+ ounces?  

At that point just give me a daytime rig that's lighter and my 1.5 lb optic is going to give me thermal capabilities, QD, one rifle.  A nice, light 2-10 or 1-8 has value, but looking at limitations mitigated by an offset RDS does have a weight bearing now.

And I'll go back to needing to own 100Y and in for SHTF.  This is where an RDS and 3x mag, for me, makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Samuse - SHTF is 100% guaranteed.  We watched our cities go up in flames due to Marxist riots.  The communists in our government stole the Presidential election.  All the courts shut us down.  The left has promised to come after conservatives.

Even Stevie Wonder can see this coming.  

You are a fool if you don't see the writing on the wall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is less than zero good reasons to only have one AR, so a one optic solution is a bad idea.
View Quote

How many AR's are you going to carry at one time??  How much money do you have??  Some people only have the money for one good handgun, one good AR, and one good shotgun.  Plus enough ammo, mags, mag/ammo carriers, weapon lights, flash lights, batteries, holsters, slings, body armor, chest rigs, GPS, binoc's, et al, for just those 3 basic platforms.  Now add one good rimfire, and a precision rifle, now we are talking some serious outlay for what, just 5 pew pews, none of which share the same ammo or mags?

It's the savants that own 10 AR's, 300 magazines and 20,000 rounds of ammo who live in fantasy land, not just the guys trying to make do.

Sure having 2 of anything beats one all to hell, but financial and practical reality can rear is ugly head when you start insisting on having more than 2 of any one type of Pew Pew.  You got to store it, feed, it and carry it. And you can only carry so much. The poor's have a problem of too few resources.  The rich have a problem of too many resources.

Too little of right stuff might get you killed, but too much of the right stuff makes you an attractive target, of those that may have little but come in packs......

IMHO and YMMV

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd rather have a 3x prism with offset MRDS than a magnifier with a RDS.  Partially due to my astigmatism, and partially due to the fact prism's have etched reticles.

YMMV of course.  I've got all 3 setups, and if I had to pick 1 "do it all" it likely would be, a lower powered rifle scope (2-12x for example) with a MRDS, followed by  a LVPO with 1-4 or 1-6 on it, followed by the prism with MRDS, and RDS with magnifier would come in last save for iron sights only.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And then there is this think called astigmatism, which makes the whole discussion moot.
View Quote

I think that is overblown...like high bore axis.

I've never seen a perfectly round dot, ever...I just don't get wrapped about it.  A reticle...any reticle is simply used as a reference as to where you want the rds to go... I place that dotish clump where I want the rds to go, and violla....the go there.

Etched reticles do not have enough contrast to stand out in a fight where lighting and background colors can change quickly. That is what makes a daylight bright red dot or LVPO advantagous.

I still lean towards a red dot because I want that close in speed...Distance ..I have time and options...to include booging away from a fight I don't need to be in.

Close up, My choices are limited and time is a factor. I can't really choose to not fight when I'm engaged by a close in threat.

Folks tend to not think about options like running away....
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The LPVO is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Most people build their SHTF rifle to be the same. With one rifle and one optic you can cover the entire max "effective range" of the 5.56.  

Magnifiers work, but majority of them have eye boxes that are significantly worse than an LPVO. It can be a plus or a minus to have two separate optical systems, but most people are going to prefer simplicity.

The most realistic SHTF for 99% of civilians is going to be home defense at ranges a red dot will be superior.

If a zombie apocalypse/foreign invasion/civil war broke out tomorrow, I'd grab an LPVO. I'll take the minor close speed deficit for the full range performance.
View Quote
And 16" is only so common due to unconstitutional gun laws if there was no NFA to worry about I bet you'd see more purpose driven 10.5"-12.5" barreled ARs in civvy hands. You can argue that the pistol thing might make that a little less relevant but myself and I'm sure many others also see the end of that in the very near future.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And then there is this think called astigmatism, which makes the whole discussion moot.
View Quote
I think the discussion was only geared towards those who can use both effectively.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for yall's inputs.  I'm twisting endlessly between T2, LPVO, Compm5s.  
I'd love to see one that did it all, but I'm leaning towards TA-44 ACSS and Compm5s.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well assuming the astigmatism is mild enough that you can see targets at distances where the dot shape matters...  if you're shooting at something that far, then you probably have time to flip up a rear BUIS to use the aperture to fix the dot.

I have astigmatism and still shot expert every time without using my glasses.

On LPVO's with dots - offset vs. piggyback is going to come down to your NV requirements.

Now, I'm not saying don't have multiple rifles set up for multiple things; but in the real world, there comes a time when you may actually have to grab one rifle, and ONLY one, because you simply can't haul another around with you.  I have had to choose on the spot and the rifle with the LPVO and microdot was it... and it was the only rifle I had on hand for months after that.    

QD mounts can do a lot for you if you can afford the extra optics.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Good stuff.

I'm currently going to try a TA33 w/piggyback RMR. Should be around 10-11'ish ounces all in(mounts etc).

I like my LPVOs with offset dots but it is indeed heavy. Also have a couple guns with RDS, lots of good options these days.

Think when/if LPVOs come down in weight they will be on top for most everything. Even with the need for a dot for passive aiming at night.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for yall's inputs.  I'm twisting endlessly between T2, LPVO, Compm5s.  
I'd love to see one that did it all, but I'm leaning towards TA-44 ACSS and Compm5s.
View Quote

I'd go T2 as slightly smaller but gives you everything the M5s does.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good stuff.

I'm currently going to try a TA33 w/piggyback RMR. Should be around 10-11'ish ounces all in(mounts etc).

I like my LPVOs with offset dots but it is indeed heavy. Also have a couple guns with RDS, lots of good options these days.

Think when/if LPVOs come down in weight they will be on top for most everything. Even with the need for a dot for passive aiming at night.
View Quote

The TA33 or TA31 with RMR is attractive.  Some say it's too old school, but man they work.  Weight, bomb proof etc...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never seen a perfectly round dot, ever...I just don't get wrapped about it.  A reticle...any reticle is simply used as a reference as to where you want the rds to go... I place that dotish clump where I want the rds to go, and violla....the go there.
View Quote

If all you are shooting at is man sized torsos inside 100 yards, then yes.  I have a red dot on my AR-9 HD SBR, but I don't expect to have to shoot that at small targets at distance.  For a rifle that will have to do more than that, it matters.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The TA33 or TA31 with RMR is attractive.  Some say it's too old school, but man they work.  Weight, bomb proof etc...
View Quote

Yeah.

With the newer prisms coming out being smaller/lighter; I think they will be on the table for a viable option as well. (Be nice to see them built outside of China though)

My current "go to" is a 16" Criterion Barreled upper with a 1-10 Razor and offset RMR. It's hard to beat for a do everything gun, it's just damn heavy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd go T2 as slightly smaller but gives you everything the M5s does.
View Quote
Agree with this. M5s just doesn't make sense to me. Unless you really can only find AAAs near you. The added 7075 aluminum durability, I believe is a moot point. T2s have been proven to be durable enough IMO. Buying the M5 series except for the battery availability issue just seems like throwing money away. JMHO
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good stuff.

View Quote
TA33s are nice, I just found the FOV through the optic to be too small. It felt weird to me in a magnified optic, it was like a 3x T1. I'd like to try it again but I am not made of money unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah.

With the newer prisms coming out being smaller/lighter; I think they will be on the table for a viable option as well. (Be nice to see them built outside of China though)

My current "go to" is a 16" Criterion Barreled upper with a 1-10 Razor and offset RMR. It's hard to beat for a do everything gun, it's just damn heavy.
View Quote

The new Primary Arms 3X prism coming out looks pretty damn good on paper. Daylight bright, less than 12 ounces with the mount, and I could live with the ACSS reticle. I might try one, China or not. Trijicon certainly appears to have no interest in using new prism technologies.

Another fairly archaic option is an illuminated prism with a flip up front cap. Sounds dumb but I could shred some shit up close with the cap closed as an occluded eye sight. The major problem is it doesn't work with ACOG's, so all you're left with are Chinese options.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
10 hour hunting sessions with a rig using an LPVO becomes cumbersome, and this was just with a 1-4x.  Now take a Vortex and offset RMR/T2...you're pushing 28+ ounces?  
View Quote

The biggest shooting consideration is SHOT PLACEMENT.  And these days, I am able to have much better shot placement with a LPVO then with a Red Dot + Magnifier.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
TA33s are nice, I just found the FOV through the optic to be too small. It felt weird to me in a magnified optic, it was like a 3x T1. I'd like to try it again but I am not made of money unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good stuff.

The TA's each have a downside.  TA11 is big, the TA33 is smaller but less FOV through the optic, TA31 has the poorest eye relief.  I had a TA11 with RMR on top and felt like it was not ideal for my purposes.  That was when I got my first T1 and did realize weight is a real thing...at the cost of some further "precision" shooting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Agree with this. M5s just doesn't make sense to me. Unless you really can only find AAAs near you. The added 7075 aluminum durability, I believe is a moot point. T2s have been proven to be durable enough IMO. Buying the M5 series except for the battery availability issue just seems like throwing money away. JMHO
View Quote
I get that they're reliable and light, but I can't stand the 20mm micro-dots as a primary. I dislike the narrow FOV through them and find it a little harder to locate the dot in sub-optimal shooting positions. I'm considering one on a 45 for an LPVO build, but will only consider the M2/3/4/5/PRO for a primary.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you trained yourself to carry 4 ars?

Christ on a pogo stick that's the most ignorant thing I've seen today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And 16" is only so common due to unconstitutional gun laws if there was no NFA to worry about I bet you'd see more purpose driven 10.5"-12.5" barreled ARs in civvy hands. You can argue that the pistol thing might make that a little less relevant but myself and I'm sure many others also see the end of that in the very near future.
View Quote

Advent of the pistol brace made 10.5-12.5 a huge thing, but people that only do 16" and nfa wouldn't know much about that. Just more dude shit. I am willing to bet there are more ar pistols out there than nfa guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And then there is this thing called astigmatism, which makes the whole discussion moot.
View Quote

I have astigmatism, it's really not that bad, in the other eye which happens to be the dominant eye. The nondom eye is worse yet I can still just dial down the red dot and it's better.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I get that they're reliable and light, but I can't stand the 20mm micro-dots as a primary. I dislike the narrow FOV through them and find it a little harder to locate the dot in sub-optimal shooting positions. I'm considering one on a 45 for an LPVO build, but will only consider the M2/3/4/5/PRO for a primary.
View Quote
Does the M5 series have a larger than 20mm window?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The new Primary Arms 3X prism coming out looks pretty damn good on paper. Daylight bright, less than 12 ounces with the mount, and I could live with the ACSS reticle. I might try one, China or not. Trijicon certainly appears to have no interest in using new prism technologies.

Another fairly archaic option is an illuminated prism with a flip up front cap. Sounds dumb but I could shred some shit up close with the cap closed as an occluded eye sight. The major problem is it doesn't work with ACOG's, so all you're left with are Chinese options.
View Quote
That's not true. I've done this with a TA33. They have a perfectly circle housing on the objective end, I believe I repurposed an AP PRO front cap and it fit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I am willing to bet there are more ar pistols out there than nfa guns.
View Quote

Which is why ATF was trying to "clarify" the brace issue.  They miss that money, period.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The AAA battery is the draw for me.  And the size.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. 18mm like the T and H series
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's not true. I've done this with a TA33. They have a perfectly circle housing on the objective end, I believe I repurposed an AP PRO front cap and it fit.
View Quote

I'd be interested to see how you got an Aimpoint front cap on it. That's not the problem though as you can use a kill flash to put a front cap on.

The biggest problem is deflection. When I tested it on my old Primary Arms prism the zero was 2.5" off at 25 yards. Because of the prism set up on an ACOG members here found them to be considerably off, pushing almost a foot at 50 yards.

People also complained of the brightness making it almost unusable in sunlight. It is worth mentioning I don't remember what model ACOG's the others had as this was years ago.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I am transitioning over to lpvos.

My current go to setup is a Tr24 on a 11.5" and I am waiting for fucking LaRue to get off their ass with the rmr tube mounts.

I'll run the Tr24 on 4x and run the red dot for up close stuff or train alot and run both on 1x and the red dot for night shenanigans.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No. 18mm like the T and H series
View Quote
That's unfortunate to hear. I've never seen one here in eastern IA. Figured they were continuing on with the CompM series 30mm tubes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you mean carry?  In my hands, slung all the time while I’m bored asf following my wife and kids around the mall?

Or out in the parking lot, under the back seat  in my blacked out F250 with TBL and Come and take it stickers?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What you mean carry?  In my hands, slung all the time while I’m bored asf following my wife and kids around the mall?

Or out in the parking lot, under the back seat  in my blacked out F250 with TBL and Come and take it stickers?
View Quote

While I understand your point about diversity I'd be willing to consider almost any of this stuff fantasy if we're calling shtf fantasy.

I'd consider having an AR for every role a fantasy, all though I'd say go for it if funds allow. Besides hunting and the very low chance of HD what besides shtf would require you have the most reliable usable optic? Edit- honest question I'm open minded about knowledge.

A RDS is my default option but I'm grabbing a couple lpvo's for new setups down the road.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Which LPVOs have reticles that can be effectively used without battery?

I had a Razor 1-6 at one time and while the glass was amazing I remember the reticle on 1x being largely unusable without power. And of course the battery life is counted in days-not-years.

Also had a VCOG and that was definitely usable without illumination, and had a bit longer battery life. But not quite daylight bright.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm kind of surprised there aren't more magnifiers that are greater than 3x.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Which LPVOs have reticles that can be effectively used without battery?
View Quote

Accupoint
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top