Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2020 2:11:59 PM EDT
I've searched, but I can't find a mount that quick releases just the light.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I really started messing around with WMLs I was sure this was an option and the way I wanted my set up. I couldn't find one and always thought it would be really nice to utilize my $250 flashlight as a hand held light and get to really use it.

I see a wide open market there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before I really started messing around with WMLs I was sure this was an option and the way I wanted my set up. I couldn't find one and always thought it would be really nice to utilize my $250 flashlight as a hand held light and get to really use it.

I see a wide open market there.
View Quote

Right, and also, it would be nice to be able to move your $250 light from weapon to weapon when you are using different styles of mounts on different weapons. Pop your light off one weapon and onto another weapon, while leaving your different mounts in place.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The closest equivalent you'll get is something like a pistol weaponlight mounted on pic rail (Surefire X300 for example) otherwise no such product exists.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The closest equivalent you'll get is something like a pistol weaponlight mounted on pic rail (Surefire X300 for example) otherwise no such product exists.
View Quote

This is what I ended up doing. For critters around the house, and home defense 800-1k lumens is enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder why? Seems like you could you a tensioning lever for the light tube, similar to the lever used for the rail.

Attachment Attached File

Something like this on a pic rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder why? Seems like you could you a tensioning lever for the light tube, similar to the lever used for the rail.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240604/s-l1600_jpg-1724306.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240604/249791_jpg-1724317.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240604/s-l1600_jpg-1724306.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240604/249791_jpg-1724317.JPG

Not really a necessity to remove a weapon mounted light that quickly. If you can change batteries without removing the light from a weapon, why remove the light? If a situation calls for potential for weapon use, why not just use the light mounted on the weapon itself to identify potential threats? The slight inconvenience of loosening screws on ring mounts to remove a handheld light (while leaving the mount on a rail) is preferable to the drawbacks of larger profile and potential failure point of light tube slipping or lever snagging. The concept itself is doable, but it's all about the money. The product you'd want is way too niche that it'd cost way too much to develop (to be tough enough) and generate too little in sales.

The Olight body itself still retains the dovetail mount that slots into the mount on the rail. Functionally it's no different than having a QD weapon mounted light like a Bobro QD Scout mount or any other QD weapon mounted light in which either the mounting post/dovetail or the mount itself creates a larger non-circular profile.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not really a necessity to remove a weapon mounted light that quickly. If you can change batteries without removing the light from a weapon, why remove the light? If a situation calls for potential for weapon use, why not just use the light mounted on the weapon itself to identify potential threats? The slight inconvenience of loosening screws on ring mounts to remove a handheld light (while leaving the mount on a rail) is preferable to the drawbacks of larger profile and potential failure point of light tube slipping. The concept itself is doable, but it's all about the money. The product you'd want is way too niche that it'd cost way too much to develop (to be tough enough) and generate too little in sales.

The Olight body itself still retains the dovetail mount that slots into the mount on the rail. Functionally it's no different than having a QD weapon mounted light like a Bobro QD Scout mount or any other QD weapon mounted light in which either the mounting post or the mount itself creates a larger non-circular profile.

https://xcdn.olightstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/af1da4fee25a99be8feb3b5f2ffa5abe/v/1/v1-odin-bk-single-minora-04.jpg
View Quote

You could adjust that tensioner to the point where it would crush the light tube. I don't think slipping would be a problem. And the profile difference, IMO, would be insignificant.

I'm not going into battle, like most of us on the site. I'm looking for a quick way to remove my light and either quickly put it on another rifle/shotgun or use it as an EDC when I'm not carrying a long gun.

Niche? There are already two other members in this thread who have tried to find the exact product that I am describing.

Cost to develop? That clamp with a pic rail base? A Chinaman - I realize that isn't the preferred nomenclature - could develop it in 87 seconds, for $87 and produce it for 87 cents per unit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You could adjust that tensioner to the point where it would crush the light tube. I don't think slipping would be a problem. And the profile difference, IMO, would be insignificant.

I'm not going into battle, like most of us on the site. I'm looking for a quick way to remove my light and either quickly put it on another rifle/shotgun or use it as an EDC when I'm not carrying a long gun.

Niche? There are already two other members in this thread who have tried to find the exact product that I am describing.

Cost to develop? That clamp with a pic rail base? A Chinaman - I realize that isn't the preferred nomenclature - could develop it in 87 seconds, for $87 and produce it for 87 cents per unit.
View Quote

Over 4 decades of people mounting lights to weapons have basically shown that yes, it is a niche. The trend is smaller/lighter, stronger, and brighter. The fact is if it was an idea that people thought something like that would have merit, it would've been done 20 years ago when good ring mounts were needed and wanted. Vast majority of people these days (even those not going into battle) simply buys a weapon mounted light and buys a separate handheld OR they just spend the extra 2-3 minutes to loosen then tighten some screws on a picatinny ring mount. If transferring a light from weapon to weapon is a concern, a QD ring mount makes more sense from an end user perspective. Why would someone want to buy multiple mounts for different weapons with picatinny rails, when you can buy 1 picatinny mount for 1 flashlight that fits on any picatinny rail?

Also considering that super bright LED handhelds can be bought for $30, it's not likely anyone will develop a product that matches your desired use, not even the Chinese.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Over 4 decades of people mounting lights to weapons have basically shown that yes, it is a niche. The trend is smaller/lighter, stronger, and brighter. The fact is if it was an idea that people thought something like that would have merit, it would've been done 20 years ago when good ring mounts were needed and wanted. Vast majority of people these days (even those not going into battle) simply buys a weapon mounted light and buys a separate handheld OR they just spend the extra 2-3 minutes to loosen then tighten some screws on a picatinny ring mount. If transferring a light from weapon to weapon is a concern, a QD ring mount makes more sense from an end user perspective. Why would someone want to buy multiple mounts for different weapons with picatinny rails, when you can buy 1 picatinny mount for 1 flashlight that fits on any picatinny rail?

Also considering that super bright LED handhelds can be bought for $30, it's not likely anyone will develop a product that matches your desired use, not even the Chinese.
View Quote

So, if you take this product and switch the quick release tensioning lever from the rail to the ring it becomes niche?

Attachment Attached File

Damn trends again!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#11]
As stated, a Surefire X300U (A or B, depending) wouls work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The Surefire M79 is what you seek. Discontinued but there are a few on eBay for about $50.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Surefire M79 is what you seek. Discontinued but there are a few on eBay for about $50.
View Quote

Thanks, that’s what I’m looking for. There’s even an archived thread about it. I see they made a .8” version too.

It looks like Vltor also tried to make a couple of versions, but the design isn’t as good as the M79.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Zip ties are cheap and cut easily
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The VLTOR QD mount does that with 1” flashlight bodies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The VLTOR QD mount does that with 1” flashlight bodies.
View Quote

It releases the mount and the light. Look at the M79 that was suggested.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top