Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2024 2:03:38 PM EDT
I posted this over in the PSA Industry section and was told to try it over in the ""AR"" Section, then more specifically here.

So,  PSA AR-V 7" 9mm PCC .

I had been wanting an MP5ish clone and was looking at an AP5 from Century Arms.
Not 100% sold on it and still looking, last weekend I stumbled on the PSA ARV 7"....

Now sure how I have never heard of this before this weekend.  
I tried doing some searching and did find a bit about it as far as what it is, mostly off the PSA's page.

Searching the net I saw some complaints about things breaking and feed issues, but those were all a good bit ago, also saw a few posts saying its going to be discontinued?  Of course, that was not anything official and hopefully BS rumors.

Seen a few complaints about recoil (its a 9mm) and the Optic height being to low to get a good sight pic vs some other guns they were vs'ing.... **Edited to add** Also, saw some complaints on the Magpul Scorpion mags.  As far as Magpul mag, I've only used the AR and Glock mags, zero issues with either of those...***

I'd love to pick one of these up and put my Octane 45HD w 9mm End Cap on it and pretty much leave it.
I'd be shooting mostly 147 gr, but some 115s and 124s as they are much easier to come by...
Using it mostly for steel plates in my back yard (out to 100) and some small matches at the local gun club if runs well enough and I can trust it..

I have a bunch of Scorpion Evo mags and I heard Magpul makes mags for this and the Scorpion.
If I get this and like it, I'm gonna sell off the Scorpion to help recoup the cost of the ARV.

The only Mods I'd do immediately are a RDS and Can, Maybe a trigger if I felt it needed it after break in, unless this thread tells me I need other wise...

So my questions are:
1. Is this still a viable platform, meaning not End of Lifed or heading that way soon?
2. Who has one? How are they running now?
3. What upgrades does everyone else feel it need out of the box if any?

Mods if there is a better place to move this to, feel free, just let me know... :)

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sent you a message and I commented on your previous thread on these.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: openb] [#2]
I bought the ARV receiver/bolt kit, and built a 16" rifle. Same bones as the 7" MP5ish gun you are looking at. Avoid the Scorpion mags in it, get the PSA AKV/ARV mags, it'll be 100%. I've heard of plenty of malfunctions with the Magpul and Scorpion mags in the the platform. And the PSA mags are really cheap, like $15. The 7" gun has the SB PDW brace, and an aluminum handguard that resembles the MP5, and a tri-lug muzzle device. All cosmetic. If you like it, get it. I was on PSA yesterday or the day before, and most of the ARV's were in stock again, so I don't think they are discontinued.

I'm running a 4" 6.5oz. buffer with their bolt, which was 15.9oz. I still needed the plastic spacer at the end of the buffer spring to prevent bolt overtravel. I'm using the CMC 9mm flat trigger. Only a couple thousand rounds, but been 100% reliable. I built it for USPSA PCC Division.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twisty] [#3]
I built an ARV using the builders kit.

Quick build list:

8.3" Ballistic Advantage EPC barrel
8" BCM MCMR handguard
Spikes LPK
Magpul K2 grip
A5 buffer tube
Kynshot 5015 buffer
2x Kynshot 2.5 OZ weights
Rise PCC trigger
Primary Arms 1x prism sight
KAK mini flash can
Magpul AFG
BCM charging handle

Because the LRBHO on the ARV is further forward than other AR9s, I found that I can fit the entire "Gentle Recoil System" from blowback9 in the A5 tube.  This gives me 24.7oz of reciprocating mass (13.7oz bolt, 6oz buffer, 5oz spacers), and the bolt travel stops about .25" behind the LRBHO catch.  I am hoping this setup will be a little gentler on the bolt and bolt hold open.  I originally decided on the ARV becuase I had a Scorpion and Magpul Pmags.  Why not embrace mag cross compatibility??  Turns out that the ARV hates the Magpul mags and had tons of FTEs while using them.  I sold the Scorpion and Pmags because I was seeing too many Scorpions exploding on Reddit.  PSA mags run 100% in the gun.  Recoil is not bad at all and I find that the whole gun is amazingly fun to shoot and very controlable.  

Ive shot a few brands of ammo, both 115 and 124.  Other than the malfunctions that occured with the Pmags, it has run 100%.  I've probably put around 450 rounds through it so far.  

I really hope they dont discontinue the line.  I think its a great platform, I really like the mags.  The curved mags look light years better than the angled glock mags or straight colt mags (IMHO).  My one concern is availabilty of spare parts, but well tuned AR9s seem to run for ever.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 8" model. Ran nothing but PSA mags in it and all were perfectly fine. It's easily modifiable just like any other AR.

So to answer your questions from my point of view.

1 - I see them still in stock on PSA's webpage. I wouldn't imagine them leaving soon. But that's a better question for them.
2 - Mine ran just fine. Only time I had issues is when it got too dirty, ha. But that's any weapon.
3 - Out of the box upgrades? None. It goes bang just fine. I modded mine though just like my AR's. Trigger, ambi safety, charging handle, changed out the rail because I could, added backup sights and a red dot and then a micro brake for my can.

I'm actually selling mine now only because I prefer the AK-V.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally got to test mine with some 147gr Titegroup loads and they ran well. I have a Maxim Defense delayed buffer set up and the brass was getting thrown pretty far. I may investigate heavier buffer springs to slow it down some more and hopefully tame some of the port pop. Also had a couple last round jams where the round looked like it skipped off the feed ramp and stuck above the chamber opening. Happened on 1 magpul and 1 psa mag out of 6 mags. I also have the 8" barrel with a banish 45 suppressor and if shoots really well accuracy wise. I do love this setup over the CMMG RDB and Endo mags. Sporting a 1x PA micro prism.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikKat] [#6]
I went the other route and purchased a New Frontier Armory S-9 lower (their Scorpion mag lower) with their upper and one with their 4" barrel and one with a Faxon 16" flash hider integrated barrel.
The lower uses a mag release that is AR-15 like and not AK like on the scorpion or AR-V. It likes all of the Scorpion mags, except the PSA ARV mags move too much back and forth and can FTF. No where near as harsh as shooting my Scorpion and the 4" is a blast.
They do not show them on their website, you have to call them to get one. No troubles with the BHO or feeding (except PSA mags).

Steve
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm assuming it can accept an RDB carrier and barrel easily enough? Then you'll have a proper wanna-be MP5 that's really worth something.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:50:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
I'm assuming it can accept an RDB carrier and barrel easily enough? Then you'll have a proper wanna-be MP5 that's really worth something.
View Quote
Good question....bear in mind the upper would need to have been milled out for the cam pin relief and considering the ARV is a purpose built straight blowback, I doubt they would add the cam pin relief since it isn't needed for a straight blowback.  If you look at the left side of the upper, it doesn't have the tell tale hump to accommodate the cam pin relief but there are uppers that are thick enough that don't have the hump and do have the cam pin relief so maybe it is relieved?  Can't find a picture of what the upper looks like on the inside to confirm...maybe someone on this thread that has an ARV can confirm.

I think the safer bet would be to do like @BikKat did and just get the New Frontier Armory S-9 lower as we know what works with the CMMG RDB as it was already heavily documented in an old thread here.https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-New-NFA-S-9-Lower-Scorpion-mags-Pics-and-build-in-progress-with-CMMG-RDB-UPDATE-8-25-IT-LIVES-/15-754694/?page=1

Me personally, I'm a fan of the old MGI (https://hydraweaponry.com/ ) modular lower and was told at Shot that they are coming out with a Scorpion magwell so I am waiting on that.  Every MGI magwell I've seen has been engineered to use the familiar push button mag release instead of resorting to a flapper...even for AK mags.  So I'm hoping they do the same for the upcoming Scorpion magwell.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The flapper is at least ambidextrous by design. Just need to make sure your grip is not so thick to prevent the trigger finger from reaching. PSA did a really nice job on these receiver sets.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
The flapper is at least ambidextrous by design. Just need to make sure your grip is not so thick to prevent the trigger finger from reaching. PSA did a really nice job on these receiver sets.
View Quote
Yes, that is nice but I'm an old dog that can't learn new tricks.  I'm too used to using the push button release on the AR....especially when I flip back to other AR calibers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
View Quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the ARV cannot accept the RDB system. I attempted it and the CMMG bolt will not allow clearance with the lower. The ARV lower has a tower of sorts in it that houses the LRBHO and it requires their propriety bolt carrier. I even attempted using a basic CMMG blowback bolt, and a FM blowback bolt in it and it still would not allow closure of the upper and lower. I ended up building it out, and SBRing it as blowback. Its a gorgeous weapon, but does leave a lot to be desired when compared to my Franken S9 rifle built with Amphibian's directions.

Thomas
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you considered the AK-V?

I don't usually wondering in the arguments regarding ARs Vs. AKs (ARs are clearly all around better) but I found that the AK-V soft, accurate, and filled a role for a compact, suppressed PCC. They accept CZ mags and now a plethora of grip and stock options.

The only issue is finding the face mount muzzle devices for suppressors. After that it's all gravy!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top