Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2018 3:31:18 PM EDT
I've finally gotten my RDIAS and 5.56 Compressor upper out of jail (7 months).   The 5.56 and .300 BLK uppers run fine but the 5.56 upper charging handle dragged some, the action was stiff, and LRBHO wasn't happening until after a couple mags.

There is a lot of info here on 5.56 to 9mm conversion but I still have a couple questions.

1.  My setup includes a LWRC UCIW stock which comes with a UC2 buffer weighing 3.2 oz.  What I have read so far indicates the buffer it is too light for 9mm blowback upper use.  Correct?

2.  Heavybuffers.com has heavier buffers made for the UCIW.  They have a 5.5 oz. for 5.56 and one that is north of 8 oz for 9mm.   I am considering a Spikes Recluse 9mm upper (one stamp) with integrated suppressor.   Is the 5.5 oz heavy UCIW buffer sufficient for 9mm suppressed so I can use it for all 3 uppers?  Has anyone here used either heavy buffer with 9mm and/or 5.56 and how do they perform?  What will work un-suppressed in case I go for an upper with no can?

3.  Besides LRBHO, who likes what as far as 5.56/.300 BLK to 9mm drop in conversion blocks?  Manufacturer, top load vs. bottom load?  Simplest install/removal.  Here is a link to some info I found very helpful but would like suggestions from you folks before deciding.  Gunmann Mag Block Comparison

Thanks!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Spoke with Clint at Heavybuffers..com and he said the 5.5 oz buffer may work for 9mm.   Spikes had installed a T3 (5.5 oz.) in my setup originally so I ordered a heavy buffer to replace the light 3.2 oz. one that came in the UCIW stock.

As far as the 9mm conversion it might be easier to figure this out one bite at a time:

Anyone using a 5.5 oz. buffer on your AR lower 9mm conversions?  If not what weight do you use?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've found answers to most of my questions.  5.5 oz Heavybuffers.com buffer should work fine in the LWRC UCIW stock with 5.56, .300 BLK, or 9 mm uppers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
my SBR mag block is from Rudy at Macon Armory (above post)... I would suggest you limit the over travel on the bolt so that it just locks back to save wear and tear on the LRBHO... I use a hand built 5.3oz buffer and standard carbine spring with a NFA bumper... it works with my 7.5" and 10.5" barrels

I have 2, 16" carbines for USPSA PCC (Glock format)... one has an NFA bolt (slightly heavier) the other PSA, both have PSA uppers... primary uses A1 stock and Enidine hydraulic buffer and standard rifle spring... other is a carbine and uses the 5.3oz buffer and carbine spring

all work with reduced hand loads of a 142 power factor (135 Bayou at 1050fps) as well as factory 115 and 147
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.5 is what the original Colt 9mm buffers weigh......I prefer the 7.5.....it smooths the cycle out a bit....Let me know if I can help you with an upper.....
View Quote
Thanks to Rudy at Macon Armory for answering all my questions on the phone today.  When I get my ducks in a row I will be back in touch and jump a bit farther down the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure I want to wait on another stamp so I might spring for one of your 9 mm uppers and a block Rudy.

The heavybuffers 5.5 oz. (same weight as Spikes T3 that came with the Compressor) should provide smoother operation with my 5.56 and .300 BLK uppers.  Don't have any experience with different buffers but I think the UCIW 3.2 oz. may be too light.  Feels a bit bouncy.  Clint at heavybuffers may let me swap for the heavier 8+ oz. buffer if the 5.5 oz doesn't cut it for 9 mm.  I don't mind swapping buffers between 5.56/.300 and 9 mm but would rather not have to.

Is the extra stress on the bolt stop from a 9 mm bolt so bad that I should avoid LRBHO altogether?  Or is it all about length of travel behind the stop?

Regarding 9 mm uppers:  Are the 9 mm bolts standard or do they come with different cuts like the AR15 bcgs?  Since I have a RDIAS I want to make sure the trip will be actuated for FA fire on the 9 mm conversion.

ps.  True or False for 9 mm conversion:  I will need a heavier buffer for non-suppressed than with suppressed.
View Quote
9mm Blowback bolts don't have a set standard, but the ones from CMMG and QC10 I know supports the FA trip.  I don't know about the others.

Yeah, broken bolt stops seems to be correlated to the length of travel behind the stop.  On my 9mm SBR, I have maybe 1/16 inch and haven't had any issues, but I think if you can keep that gap to be 3/16 to 1/16, you should be good.  Once the bolt begins to reverse its travel, it can't build too much velocity with that small gap.  Since the energy in the bolt is proportional to the velocity squared, limiting that gap will also limit the velocity when it hits the stop.

I have Clint's heavy buffer (normal size extension) and with it set to 12oz., it will not cycle weaker ammo unsuppressed (Remington UMC for example).  But suppressed it will cycle anything.  So the answer to your ps is False.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

9mm Blowback bolts don't have a set standard, but the ones from CMMG and QC10 I know supports the FA trip.  I don't know about the others.

Yeah, broken bolt stops seems to be correlated to the length of travel behind the stop.  On my 9mm SBR, I have maybe 1/16 inch and haven't had any issues, but I think if you can keep that gap to be 3/16 to 1/16, you should be good.  Once the bolt begins to reverse its travel, it can't build too much velocity with that small gap.  Since the energy in the bolt is proportional to the velocity squared, limiting that gap will also limit the velocity when it hits the stop.

I have Clint's heavy buffer (normal size extension) and with it set to 12oz., it will not cycle weaker ammo unsuppressed (Remington UMC for example).  But suppressed it will cycle anything.  So the answer to your ps is False.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  My ducks are lining up nicely.  Arfcom is a great resource.

btw.  If I can find a dedicated 9 mm lower with a shelf I can drop the RDIAS in that is an option I haven't considered yet but could be perfect solution.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top