Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2024 2:21:41 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I don't really follow the ins and outs of 80% lowers. I remember years ago before the ATF was getting spicy, that there were companies with the 80% aluminum lowers and then there were complete jig sets to fit those lowers. My internet searching skills are as accurate as a Storm Troopers aim.
I can't find jig sets and the only lowers I see are offered with serial numbers.
Is there still a way to order the lowers without a serial number straight to my door? I'm in Michigan.
Is there still jig sets available that allow you to do all the milling without a mill?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't do 80's because of time and mess and startup expense.  But, I have kept an eye on them here.  There was a recent time where it was said that a vendor couldn't sell both receivers and jigs, so you had to buy them separately.  Lots of places have lowers, RTB, Durkin, etc.  For a jig I would look for one that uses a trim router.  The drill press jig era has passed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
There are still a healthy number of places making 80% lowers. Most former machining & milling manufacturers in the business ejected after BATFE's R2021-05 even though it didn't change their legality, only PR status. They kinda became like the Surefire 100rd coffin mag after the Vegas fallout.

ANYHOW you can find them. DM me OP if you need help, can provide plenty of websites I've amassed on it
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#4]
If you have never used a router or a mill to shape aluminum, it is a learning curve to get to where you want to be. The  5D Tactical jig is not cheap, but it is a quality piece of equipment that if you pay attention to the instructions & go slowly with the milling till you get the hang of it, your finished product will equal a 100% without all the engravings & transfer fees.

Don't force anything & there are some neat tricks as to using it that will make the bit last longer & the job go quicker. Some guys can get a few receivers done before the bit is damaged & has to be replaced. I have seen millends/bits that last thru many dozens of receivers if you pay attention to the task @ hand. The completed receiver's finish internally & the location of the pins & FCG are spot on.

The jigs are not designed to do commercial work as they are a hobbyist tool & if you are making them commercially, you need a shop, a CNC mill & a FFL for manufacturing. For those who want to make a few receivers for themselves to say, look what I completed & make their own guns, the 5D jigs are perfect & then sell it when you are done.

EDITED to correct name of Jig, the company is not 3D Tactical
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top