Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2022 12:03:53 AM EDT
Does having a VFG as far out as is comfortable necessarily mean better recoil control? Or can I run it a little further back without having to worry (it may not be as far forward as I can comfortably run it, but this location is the most comfortable).
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Farther forward should mean more stability, due to the combined points of contact on the rifle being more spread apart.  However, if the foregrip is way out there, it might be more strenuous for you support hand to reach out that far for a length of time and tire your arm out, so there is a balance.  

In general, as far out as you're comfortable with is good, also taking into account possibly having to position the grip so as to not interfere with other attachments like a light, laser, etc. and be able to reach any switches for said items.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the real estate length of handguard to grip, I run them back just enough to where my support hand isn't being obstructed by the weapon light. Having a a near vertical pistol grip with the buttstock extended until it touches my bicep with my arm bent at 90 degrees, I can get closer to the furthest point I am comfortable with that gives me the fastest muzzle recovery.

I also don't grip the VFG like an actual grip either. I use it to brace at certain points on a barricade by either resting against my wrist while my hand is getting solid control of whatever it is I'm using, or clamping and resting the hand next to for stability against a wall. Standing, kneeling, or prone I use it as a stop and a rest to thumb break with with the thumb over bore.

That cleaner area behind the VFG makes for a great area for your support hand to be unobstructed shooting the way marksmanship used to be taught, by letting it rest on hand while shooting for groups or zeroing and using bags and a bipod to support it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
C clamp grip here…no need for a vfg in my opinion. I used to run a handstop but found that even that was not needed. Of course, this is on a 16” barrel with 14.5” hand guard.

Only time I’ve liked a vfg is on a sbr type setup or carbine length handguards.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is your light and/or switches mounted?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is your light and/or switches mounted?
View Quote

Light is in a 1:00 position. Right handed shooter. Still using a tailcap to activate the light.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
C clamp grip here…no need for a vfg in my opinion. I used to run a handstop but found that even that was not needed. Of course, this is on a 16” barrel with 14.5” hand guard.

Only time I’ve liked a vfg is on a sbr type setup or carbine length handguards.

View Quote

Wrist pronation is real
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top