Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 3:35:42 PM EDT
I want to build a 8" to 9" pistol. And use a non-adjustable gas block.

Anyone do this, and what tricks did you do to improve reliability?

H2 buffer, pigtail gas tube, enlarged or custom sized gas port?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a very basic 5.56 pistol w/ 8.5" barrel. 2.5x or 3x (lol / can't recall at the moment) prism on top. Never an issue with a few hundred rounds through it. H3 buffer. I run H3s in all carbines / pistols. Great little gun. I know it's widely held that ballistics suck but based on shooting a few armadillos (especially them) and a few skunks, I wouldn't really care to be hit with it. DBs aren't a factor with hearing protection. Not even close. Pistol-length, basic low-profile gas block/tube. Though it means little to me, it tosses the brass very consistently between 3:30-4:00 at a distance of approx 8-10 ft. It has since been converted to a left-hand upper. Haven't fired it yet but expect no surprises.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. Looks like a fun gun.

I am awaiting my first can to come in (still).... so I would most likely try that out on the pistol upper. I have a 14.5" P&W done, with a Bootleg adj. BCG, and an extra mount for the 20" 6.8.

Just want something short, to see what can be done... and plug the coyotes and possums that fugg with my chickens.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 7.5" that ran well with a  H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue spring. It was loud and tooth rattling.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
my 7.5 ran with an H or H2 buffer and factory spring, though with minimum rounds <200... didn't like the blast even with a flash can, as it was built as a proof of concept as a car gun with LAW folder, so upped the barrel length to 10.5... both have been replaced with a G17.3 in a Recover Tactical brace
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 7.5" BA barreled uppers with a geiselle GB and a spikes heavy buffer and springco blues and they run perfectly
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
7.5 with standard block and H2 + Law Extension so roughly an H3.  Nothing to write home about.  Felt like a standard Carbine. Have since changed it to a 10.5.  Never changed the weights.  Runs fine on all ammo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm building a 7.5 out of whatever parts I can get my hands on.  A true frankenbuild.  I expect it to run flawlessly and be a joy to shoot!  

I bring nothing to the table that is useful to the OP, sorry.  I'll hopefully be finishing the 80% lower for it this week, but won't have a chance to get it to the range for probably 3 weeks at least.  Dang Life.....

(so in short, I'm also following this thread for build tips...)
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got basically the exact same thing Logan10 has with a Sig Romeo 5 on it.  Running the H3 also.  Never had a problem with it in the 500 or so rounds I've put through it.  I put one of these on the front and it's no different behind the gun than shooting a 16 inch barrel.  I had a VG6 Gamma on it for about 10 rounds.  David

https://rockfiresportsinc.com/product/ar-15-low-concussion-muzzle-brake-compensator-for-1-2x28-pitch-tpi-knurled-6-ports/
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero issues with my SA Saint pistols in .223, 300blk, and .308. I think the .300blk is adjustable. Dunno about the others. The very short barreled Evac and PDW seem to have posed no issues. The regular Victor in .223 hasn't had any issues so far either. All 6 of my AR pistols are fully factory built, so I can take zero credit for their reliability.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
My 7.5" 5.56 just uses a low profile gas block, carbine buffer and spring and KAK micro flash can. Runs great, and quite fun. I
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
"Works" and "Not beating the crap out of the gun and yourself" are two different things. Unless you run into a really rare situation where the BCG speed is just so fast that the Mag Spring can't keep up - Carbine/Carbine will usually always "work". I had a 7.5" that needed a Sprinco Orange and an Odin Works "Heavy" Buffer with 3 Tungsten - to get 3/4 O'clock ejection (which isn't a hard and fast rule in itself, but good enough, usually).

You have to choose your path - "works" or "optimal", either is fine it's personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Works" and "Not beating the crap out of the gun and yourself" are two different things. Unless you run into a really rare situation where the BCG speed is just so fast that the Mag Spring can't keep up - Carbine/Carbine will usually always "work". I had a 7.5" that needed a Sprinco Orange and an Odin Works "Heavy" Buffer with 3 Tungsten - to get 3/4 O'clock ejection (which isn't a hard and fast rule in itself, but good enough, usually).

You have to choose your path - "works" or "optimal", either is fine it's personal preference.
View Quote
I've not had any issues out if mine, and it has a couple hundred rounds thru it. But I may check into a heavier buffer. Would an H3 be overkill to start out with to replace the carbine buffer?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an 8.5" pistol that runs fine with the standard pistol buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've not had any issues out if mine, and it has a couple hundred rounds thru it. But I may check into a heavier buffer. Would an H3 be overkill to start out with to replace the carbine buffer?
View Quote

I think the most affordable way to go would be to order the 3-Pack Tungsten weights from Pur-Tungsten. Then you can make (using the Steel from your Carbine) an H1, H2, and H3 to tune with. You just pop the Buffer Roll Pin. I prefer to start with the Spring first, since you aren't adding reciprocating mass. The trouble is, tuning costs money - each Sprinco (who I prefer) color is about $23 a pop. All depends on how anal you want to get - but it does teach you stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#15]
They're lots of fun. 7" barrel in 5.56mm. JSE Surplus upper and Rock River Arms pistol lower. No real problems from it. Only thing it doesnt like is Tula.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top