Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2022 4:04:22 PM EDT
I've noticed that on an upper designed specifically the AR9 the ejection port cover is shorter and as a result the shell deflector is ~3/4" more forward than on a 5.56.223 upper.

Is having the case deflector 3/4" more forward that big of a deal on an AR9?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Its not a shell deflector, by design shells never hit it, its a gas deflector.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Its not a shell deflector, by design shells never hit it, its a gas deflector.
View Quote

The Brunton bump is a shell deflector by design.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The one in the pic certainly looks like a "Shell" deflector.  The "Gas" deflector on my Colt is something else altogether.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The one in the pic certainly looks like a "Shell" deflector.  The "Gas" deflector on my Colt is something else altogether.
View Quote

Yeah I agree, I also own the Colt, the OPs pic could be something different. Maybe its designed to deflect shells where the Colts is designed to deflect gas. I know on my Colt the shells never hit the gas deflector not once.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think that with the shorter case length and bolt throw before the 9mm case is ejected, you would want it to be impeded at an earlier point
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It is just a marketing thing.  I use a standard port with a standard door and it works just fine.  I think the short door looks dumb, and if you are wanting to use the RDB system is not appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've noticed that on an upper designed specifically the AR9 the ejection port cover is shorter and as a result the shell deflector is ~3/4" more forward than on a 5.56.223 upper.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/hnmuk.qprpf/v/vspfiles/photos/SP-SFT902D-2.jpg?v-cache=1654806540

View Quote

That is the first AR 9mm upper that I have seen with a brass deflector like that. I can't tell from the photo if it clips in place along with the dust cover or if it is cast as part of the receiver.

Which is it?

I have had similar experiences as others in that I have not had empty 9mm cases hit the brass deflector (Bruton Bump) and I couldn't tell you if they even contact the gas deflector on my Colt clone or not. I would need a high speed camera for that.

Even shooting a 9mm AR left handed, I have never had an issue with hot brass hitting me when using a standard size ejection port with or without a gas deflector installed.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
It’s a spikes tactical. Only one I have seen like it. It is made into the forging
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its not a shell deflector, by design shells never hit it, its a gas deflector.
View Quote

This … I have a 6450 removed clam shell…. Got a Colt 10.5” complete upper for a pistol build and did same.    Love the old look and for me A Righty I’ve had Zero issues with debris of any kind

H
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Front face of a plastic clamshell gas deflector that is now on a .22LR AR upper, but first spent about ten years on a 9mm AR upper.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some have them, some don't, it's up to the guy who buys it what he wants....smooth, bump, door, whatever.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Front face of a plastic clamshell gas deflector that is now on a .22LR AR upper, but first spent about ten years on a 9mm AR upper.
https://i.imgur.com/AIpMSkW.jpg

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
View Quote

Looks like that got hit with a LOT more than gas!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like that got hit with a LOT more than gas!
View Quote

Mine has tons of 9mm case impact marks on it. More than the picture above.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine has tons of 9mm case impact marks on it. More than the picture above.
View Quote

Well, good it's doing it's job.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
They are CHEAP - Less that $10

Colt Part # 62851

OK, knob question, How do they attach?
Never mind...
Whole kit less than $12 at Buds
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top