Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2018 7:10:28 PM EDT
I  have several cheaper rifles I have put together.

I have watched a few of the Iraqvet888  "Meltdown" videos.

All the guns seem to be ok until the gas tube goes.  Otherwise they all seem to run ok.  Even the PSA Ptac.

Not sure it that was all that went wrong but that seemed to be the common problem before failing

Who make a good gas tube that can withstand that kind of heat?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Ya got that right, But I am real happy with all my V7 parts
although on my builds lately (2) I used Spikes tubes and seriously doubt I will melt them
they are stainless coated with melonite.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I  have several cheaper rifles I have put together.

I have watched a few of the Iraqvet888  "Meltdown" videos.

All the guns seem to be ok until the gas tube goes.  Otherwise they all seem to run ok.  Even the PSA Ptac.

Not sure it that was all that went wrong but that seemed to be the common problem before failing

Who make a good gas tube that can withstand that kind of heat?
View Quote
Just use the standard "milspec" gas tube.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the gas tube "designed" as a point of failure -- a weak link to prevent damage to other components?

I don't know; maybe not, but I'd rather have a gas tube fail due to heat before destroying a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Colt M4s keep rocking down range. SS gas tubes.
View Quote
^^
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use standard .mil spec stainless gas tubes, unless you are running mag after mag at full auto, I seriously doubt you will ever have an opportunity to melt down the particular part that is designed to fail first.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought mil spec was alumium. Seems like the SS would hold up better. Do the melonited ones hold up any better?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought mil spec was alumium. Seems like the SS would hold up better. Do the melonited ones hold up any better?
View Quote
We started to see a change over to stainless in the mid 80's in the various armories I worked in.

The last dozen I bought are standard CMMG stainless .mil spec gas tubes.

I don't have a copy of the current tech spec book so I really don't know what it calls for, I can just speak from my experience over the years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We started to see a change over to stainless in the mid 80's in the various armories I worked in.

The last dozen I bought are standard CMMG stainless .mil spec gas tubes.

I don't have a copy of the current tech spec book so I really don't know what it calls for, I can just speak from my experience over the years.
View Quote
It's been 1/2 hard, 304 stainless steel tubing since at least 1970 . . . .

And, the tube is not designed to fail first, there are a quite a few examples of the side of the barrel blowing out before the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use the Ballistic Advantage melonite/nitride gas tubes. Otherwise I use the Colt milspec ones.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's been 1/2 hard, 304 stainless steel tubing since at least 1970 . . . .

And, the tube is not designed to fail first, there are a quite a few examples of the side of the barrel blowing out before the gas tube.
View Quote
I have never seen either blow out.  When I went in in '79 we still had a lot of the older guns that had not been redone or worked on and they were basically in storage when I started.  I am sure there are a lot of guys that saw much different things than I did.

Like I said, I never saw either blow out, I did replace quite a few shot out barrels in my time in.  But I did not do anymore armory work after '92, I drove a desk until I retired in 2006.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just use the Ballistic Advantage melonite/nitride gas tubes. Otherwise I use the Colt milspec ones.
View Quote
I mostly use Ballistic Advantage and the RTB nitride are quite nice as well.  Honestly most any gas tube would work.  I like the two I listed because the gas tubes have a nice finish.  Every Larue gas tube I have bought, the black finish comes off on your hands.  It’s as if they take them outback and spray them with black BBQ pit spray paint.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
INCONEL IS THE ANSWER! Unless you get it too hot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, pricey bitches.

Colt SS or Spikes nitrided are my go to.
View Quote
Check out the nitrided tubes from Wojtek Weaponry too, good to go at a great price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
INCONEL IS THE ANSWER! Unless you get it too hot.
View Quote
Inconel is a solution to problem that 99.999% of AR owners will never have.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Spikes melonited in all my builds and for the spares I use AIM surplus brand has tubes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use Spikes melonited in all my builds
View Quote
Yep, same here
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
GOT DAMN!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Colt M4s keep rocking down range. SS gas tubes.
View Quote
This right here
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top