Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2021 7:02:45 PM EDT
So I have been out of shooting for abut 5 years because of ammo prices and shortages.  I need to start practicing again and think I also need a dependable AR .22 to assist. . My AR is a Colt M4 LE model.  Iron sites which is what I prefer since old Army days.  I looked at the S&W but they are light and cheap feeling. Saw the HK on line but hard to tell without seeing one.   I have never built anything but probably could figure it out or just buy upper and lower.  Suggestions welcome
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Build one -- 22lr is very easy, all you have to do is slide the barrel into place, snug up a barrel nut to the upper and then put the handguard together.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have been out of shooting for abut 5 years because of ammo prices and shortages.
View Quote

You haven't come back at a time of plenty.

Building your own gives you all the options of a real AR without being wed to any proprietary pieces.

I'd get this BCG and collar - https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-Dedicated-22-LR-Stainless-Steel-Bolt-Group-p/rtb-22ba487.htm

This firing pin - https://www.righttobear.com/Bore-Buddy-22-LR-AR-Premium-Firing-Pin-p/bb-efp.htm

A Bore Buddy bolt weight,

this ARCatch22 bolt catch - https://arcatch22.com/products/catch22-v1-bolt-catch

and whatever CMMG compatible barrel and S&W magazines you can find.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I have been out of shooting for abut 5 years because of ammo prices and shortages.  I need to start practicing again and think I also need a dependable AR .22 to assist. . My AR is a Colt M4 LE model.  Iron sites which is what I prefer since old Army days.  I looked at the S&W but they are light and cheap feeling. Saw the HK on line but hard to tell without seeing one.   I have never built anything but probably could figure it out or just buy upper and lower.  Suggestions welcome
View Quote

You only have to build the upper and it can share the lower you already have.  I bought an assembled 16" upper from PSA first, and then built a 9" pistol upper which shares the bolt assembly.  Easy to build.  No worries about gas or buffers or springs.  The bolt is/was the hard part to obtain, which is why I bought a complete upper to begin with.  I use S&W mags, easiest to load, and the Boonie Packer mag adaptor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a H&K 416 .22LR in December for my now 10 month old son, as it was one of the only .22's I could find in stock. I did check out reviews first and it looks like a solid little gun. However, there are several proprietary things about it and swapping parts isn't like an AR. I found a CMMG .22 barrel and bolt on the EE last week and have it in hand as of yesterday. Going to sell this H&K and build my son a 9.2" pistol on a virgin lower that he can eventually put a standard upper on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased a complete CMMG AR in .22LR years ago. It has more rounds through it than every AR15 I've ever owned combined. Without a doubt, CMMG is the way to go!
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a complete CMMG AR in .22LR years ago. It has more rounds through it than every AR15 I've ever owned combined. Without a doubt, CMMG is the way to go!
View Quote

I have looked at the Resolute 200 and 300.  Is there a real price difference if you build a comparable AR? I know most will say I can customize better but my AR is simple iron sights no frills so would want the same for  .22 AR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have looked at the Resolute 200 and 300.  Is there a real price difference if you build a comparable AR? I know most will say I can customize better but my AR is simple iron sights no frills so would want the same for  .22 AR.
View Quote

I don't know what the Resolute 300 goes for on the street, but their website shows it as $1,450. Assuming the parts came in stock at their currently shown prices, you could build a 16" .22LR AR with RTB upper, barrel & bolt, BCM 15" MCMR, Strike comp (looks similar but is pointless on .22LR, savings here with A2), standard lower, SSA trigger, MOE grip & trigger guard, BCM buffer kit, with MOE SL-K stock for $1,050 ish without shipping, etc. RTB/CMMG mags are $18, and sights aren't included on either.

I personally enjoy building, unless the goal is inexpensive like and H&K 416 .22LR of M&P 15-22.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Although others have suggested build, I can speak personally about the M&P 15-22.

I purchased one a few years back for my grandson who wanted one decked out like my Colt LE6920 Restricted.

Ordered a mock SD style barrel shroud, pulled off the flash suppressor, popped out the ring cap for the hand guard and slid on the shroud...  perfect fit.

Pulled the grip off and installed a BCM grip.  Pulled the collapsible stock off and popped on a BCM Vltor style stock.  Added a set of Magpul MBUIS and a small bushnell red dot and BANG!  Instant TACK DRIVER!  The kid was 6yrs old and bullseyeing targets easily with it.  Loved it.  Sprayed a little rattle can FDE on some of the parts, the BCM and MBUIS were already tan.  Masked off the bushnell, shroud, etc and it is now a black/tan rifle that looks pretty damn sweet.  Plan is to rattle can the entire thing soon though.  Just havent gotten around to it yet.

Everyone who has ever shot it goes crazy about it.  Had two other friends purchase the M&P after shooting the grandsons and they shoot just as well.

This is who you seek for fun parts!!!

https://www.tacticool22.com/ is great to deal with.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#9]
M&P 15-22
View Quote

Handled one in the local toy store.  Handles like a toy.  Did not like it. I want my 22 to handle like my other AR's so I went that way.  I know they run, but so do my propper AR-22's.

As I said earlier, you don't have to build the whole gun.  Build an upper and pin it on your current lower and you can practice with the same controls and trigger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Build one -- 22lr is very easy, all you have to do is slide the barrel into place, snug up a barrel nut to the upper and then put the handguard together.
View Quote

Here's a complete Beyer-barreled upper ready to go...

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/complete-22lr-upper-beyer-barrel-kac-urx.7092023/
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience is buy a .22lr upper.  Though my experience is very narrow and limited.

I built a .22lr upper with Taccom barrel and BCG, generic upper were the major parts.  I could not get the gun to cycle without jamming. Tried polishing the bolt/rails and feedramp.  Rounds would nose dive into the feed ramp.  It had a pressure plug, rimfire CH, BlackDog Mags running both nylon and steel feedlips.  All 8 mags gave me the same issues.  It was sent back to Taccom for diagnosis with no definitive answer.  I parted the gun.  Tried a whole bunch of different things to no success.

Bought a complete CMMG  8 or 9" upper/BCG and it cycles just fine with my BD Mags right from the factory on the same lower the Taccom built upper sat on top of.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for build yourself. Get on email notification for a pencil barrel and bolt/collar assembly from Right to Bear, get a cheap stripped upper receiver like this one, from DS Arms, on sale for $35, and an enhanced firing pin, bolt weight and reliability kit from Bore Buddy. Find an inexpensive rail, and you’re set.

ETA: I have one of the uppers like the one linked above- it’s very nice, perfect for a dedicated .22 upper build. You’re not gonna need M4 feed ramps for that. Bore Buddy has had some of their stuff such as the premium firing pins on sale.

ETA 2: If you order from DS Arms, enter “Arfcom - Free shipping” in the order Notes box, and you can get free shipping. You’re welcome.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a builder so...

Got my kid a M&P 15-22 and he loves it; the light weight is an advantage for the young ones IMHO.

I've been thinking about "upgrading" to a Tippmann Arms M4-22 now that he's a bit bigger / stronger.

I got an e-mail from RK Guns this morning. They have the Walther Arms Hammerli Tac R1 for $379.  I know nothing about it, but that price for an aluminum upper, lower, and handguard sounds like a good deal (if it works of course).
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top