Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 11:08:13 AM EDT
I do practice dry firing at home to improve my squeeze. A lot of the time at home and on the range at the last split second, I put just a bit more pressure on the trigger at what I think is its breaking point. This throws my shot off as you would guess.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this?

THANKS
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Weird things happen when you try to focus / think about something. That's how people drive their motorcycles into the pothole by staring at it.
One advice is NOT to think about it and focus on all the other things that are important like breathing, stance, focus...

The most important thing for a perfect shot is that you are comfortable and relaxed - ideally you think nothing at all and its pure muscle memory.
The same applies as well on a race track (the real deal not drag racing) - if you try to think and analyze there is no way to be fast.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you are pressing the trigger straight back.  You do not need a death grip on the pistol grip either a lot of people over grip the pistol grip which will exaggerate any mistake you make in pressing the trigger.  Pressure directly back applying pressure to the grip to put tension on the stock in your shoulder is all you really need from your grip hand and not a whole lot to be honest as your support hand/arm should doing the most pressure rearward.  You should be able to hold the rifle in your shoulder without your trigger/pistol grip hand even on the rifle.  That should tell you how much pressure you really need in your trigger/pistol grip hand.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion you can practically squeeze the trigger anyway you like, think about it as much as you want, etc.  The key is to not react to the bang, or react in anticipation of the bang.  Even people who swear up and down that they don't flinch may be guilty of indeed flinching; even just tensing up at the last second.

Some people are also weird like me that LIKE a creepy trigger or one with a rolling break.  I want to know the exact moment the hammer is going to drop.  Triggers with zero creep make it a surprise because my finger can't tell if it's at 4lb or 4.5lbs of force.

Try this next time you're doing live fire...try not to blink when it goes bang.  Just make sure you're wearing eye pro.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have mentioned that I'm using a Caldwell front rest and toe bags at the rear. It has a LaRue MBT trigger in it that has no creep and about 3.5lbs of smooth pull.
You are correct that I am anticipating the bang, and I have caught myself blinking my eyes when it goes bang.
Not sure I know how to solve that except more trigger time.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should have mentioned that I'm using a Caldwell front rest and toe bags at the rear. It has a LaRue MBT trigger in it that has no creep and about 3.5lbs of smooth pull.
You are correct that I am anticipating the bang, and I have caught myself blinking my eyes when it goes bang.
Not sure I know how to solve that except more trigger time.

Thanks again!
View Quote

More trigger time.

The silly blinking thing I mentioned has worked with some people helping with a flinch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If you really want to know how bad your flinch is, have a buddy load a dummy round into you mag at an unknown location. You won't know which trigger squeeze has no bang, but you'll really see your flinch when you come to that round.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m wondering what kind of muzzle device you have. That could be playing in to your flinching and blinking issue. Having an overly loud muzzle blast can cause one to flinch, blink or anticipation the shot. I’m guessing that this is in a 556 AR, so even a super light weight rifle the recoil shouldn’t be bad enough for you to worry about the recoil unless you have a bad shoulder.

I’ve been on the firing line with a guy shooting a 10.5” barrel AR with a huge muzzle brake on it, by the second day of the training class no one wanted to be anywhere near him because the muzzle blast was so bad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
There’re 2 key rules imho

First, a constant force must be applied by your trigger finger.. you don’t need to increase it when you feel the wall.

Second, the movement must be straight to the rear.

The round going off must surprise you.
As other have said focus on everything else and let your finger moves by it’s own
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
An Odin 5. It's more of a "prevent muzzle" jump device. Loud but not too loud and always use ear protection.

What do ya'll think is the preferred location of the trigger finger on the trigger?

Use the tip of the finger on the trigger, or half way between the tip and the middle of the first joint, or on the first joint.
My trigger finger is slightly crooked.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top