Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 9:31:25 PM EDT
I have had the LM7 sitting in the safe for a few years, with minimal use.  Now that my children are a little older, they both enjoy shooting .22, and my just-turned-7 year old son really enjoys M16 mag dumps, I decided to either buy a dedicated .22 upper, or fire up the old LM7.

I've been working on it a bit; had a few issues, but have talked to Eric, and have a few upgrades/fixes in the works.  Currently, though, I focused on appearance.  Since my M16 is set up as a XM607, and I don't plan on removing the stock any time soon, I decided I didn't like the ATAS short handguard and rail setup, so I took everything off the barrel, turned a 1" barrel extension, and, after modifying a .750" front sight assembly, installed an old pair of triangular handguards.  

Once I had that set up, I realized the Lakeside mag adaptor/belt container/thing didn't look right, and mine was an extremely tight fit, so I started from scratch, thinking of a way of holding a mini ammo tin, that would not look too ridiculous.  As the LM7 is based on the 1919 options, I started looking at 1919 tripod setups.  I liked the idea of an ammo tin mounted next to the receiver, so I made an adaptor to do just that.

I then had to come up with an ammo tin.  I found a CAD file of the 50 cal ammo tin, but when shrinking it down to size, the wall thickness was far too thin to 3D print.  I then had to go over the entire thing, beefing up here, adding things there, fixing geometry from a stamped item to a printed item.  After three prints, I have my most likely next-to-last variant printing right now.  I modified the bottom to slide onto the adaptor I designed, keeping it in place, even when tilted, or upside down.  I think it is starting to look a little more manageable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently, I am limited to 2000 characters.  Here's the rest:

I wish I could find one of the later-model LM7/Razorback perforated barrel shrouds.  I'd be tempted to remove the pistol grip, the stock, and put a custom short buffer (just enough to fit the Lakeside buffer), and install spade grips with butterfly triggers.

Next on my list is printing a tripod and adaptor to fit the current setup.  Something between the 1919 tripod, and the MG42.

My girlfriend is considering trying to reproduce the canvas belts, once we can find a sewing machine under 400% markup.  I have a hunch that'd be popular, if we could make it work.  I have a few ideas on how to make it repeatable, to have all the pockets the same size.

Nate/SteyrTMP

I give up on trying to link these photos.  You'll just have to click on them.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If anyone feels like pointing out how to get functional photos, it'd be helpful.  The sticky is what, 4 years old or so, and is obsolete.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteyrTMP:
If anyone feels like pointing out how to get functional photos, it'd be helpful.  The sticky is what, 4 years old or so, and is obsolete.
View Quote

use the [ img ] tag or click the mountain picture icon with picture hyperlink.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been, but it doesn't show anything.  I even used the link directly from Imgur.  Is there something about a certain amount of posts being posted before pictures show up?  Can you see the pictures?  I only see the links.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me see if this works:

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That works.  I wonder why it doesn't work for me.  I think I saw a conversation before of someone not having an "x" amount of posts, therefore their pictures didn't show up.  Perhaps that is the issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went to your links, right clicked, copy image address and pasted that link in
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Need to drag mine out and dick around with some more, it's never run worth a shit in full or semi.

I've invested a ridiculous amount of money in it and its to the point where I hate even looking at it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a LM7, Razorback, pistol upper and a bunch of the various accessories and belt lengths...have yet to shoot any of them.  
View Quote

You, sir, are missing out.  After ~10 years of owning my Razorback, it is still one of my favorite guns to shoot.  I had the LM7 a couple years before but the reliability was just never there even with tinkering.  LOTS of fun!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s hard for me to see what about the Razorback would make it more reliable. Functionally they are nearly identical. I am still trying to tweak my lm7.  Trying to get the sear trip timing dialed in. Razorback is unfired other than testing the bolt in the LM7.

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It’s hard for me to see what about the Razorback would make it more reliable. Functionally they are nearly identical. I am still trying to tweak my lm7.  Trying to get the sear trip timing dialed in. Razorback is unfired other than testing the bolt in the LM7.

View Quote

Re-designed bolt.  Among other things, the LM7 was pretty notorious for OOB detonations since the hammer could still drop on the firing pin when the bolt was not fully closed.  Back when it came out, the Razorback bolt was a hot commodity among LM7 owners since it solved some of the reliability issues.  My LM7 was already sold by the time I picked up my Razorback, so I can't speak to that from personal experience.  When it all comes down to it, a LOT is being expected of that little 22 LR cartridge in order to run any of these reliably.  To that end, anything that can be done to minimize energy being robbed from the system will help improve reliability.  You also have to experiment w/ different ammo types.  Early RGB ran great in mine but then the QC fell off and it started causing horrific jams because their rim thickness varied so greatly.  RGB cost me an extractor, lesson learned since they aren't cheap and are not being manufactured/fitted anymore.  I stopped using RGB and only use CCI Blazer now, which is what the designer recommends.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a spare Razorback bolt from Eric. I hoped I could use it in my LM7. Cannot get a single round to go off. It is .010 longer from the channel of the T slot to the rear of the bolt body. I might be able to clip the firing pin spring, weld a bead to the rear of the pin or go back to a full power hammer spring to get ignition. Right now it is a paper weight, just to long for gen1 and gen2 firing pins.  

He does have spare extractors listed on gunbroker. I bought some and fitted a replacement to the LM7 bolt. Much more reliable after that. Once I get it running how I want it I’ll break out the Razorback.  Right now? 5 or 10 rounds then a hammer down stoppage. Rack the bolt and it will burn through 100+.  Frustrating but close
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top