Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2021 1:22:42 PM EDT
How well do the prong type f/h (Smith Vortex/wilson Combat accu-tac etc)  work for knocking down the concussive blast of 11.5''?   Muzzle flash is secondary concern but what about the blast itself?    Would a linear comp be better on the blast?    Just trying to be ''polite'' at the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Not going to do squat about the Blast.

Not even sure they can do much about the muzzle flash with that much in such a short barrel.

The Flash Cans seem to do better in "directing" concussive effects down range, and not to the sides (being polite) at the range...
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not going to do squat about the Blast.

Not even sure they can do much about the muzzle flash with that much in such a short barrel.

The Flash Cans seem to do better in "directing" concussive effects down range, and not to the sides (being polite) at the range...
View Quote

I was also looking at these 2:  Noveske kx3 or PWS CQB. I know there's gonna be muzzle flash, but maybe sending the sound down range is the better option?   What would you pick or suggest something else?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What would you pick or suggest something else?
View Quote

Kineti-Tech
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

S4 any particular one?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

S4 any particular one?
View Quote

I got the one in that link.  The type of brake wasn't important to me on a 5.56, but I didn't want to have to clock it so went with the radial and the fully knurled sleeve.  I like it a lot.  It really helps outside, but obviously indoors the bang will bounce back.  The only real option for indoors is a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't the 3 Prong tend to turn into tuning forks?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
3-prongs don’t have any back facing surfaces to reflect the pressure back to the shooter, so they are tamer than most flat-plate brakes. The better 3-prong FHs have anti-ping features to prevent tuning fork effect. A cheap flash can or linear comp reduces the side blast a little but often at the expense of a daylight bright fireball.  Ammo can have a lot of variation in flash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd look into DeadAir's pronged flash hider. It's effective in all categories and doesn't have the "ping" that most pronged flash hiders have.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How well do the prong type f/h (Smith Vortex/wilson Combat accu-tac etc)  work for knocking down the concussive blast of 11.5''?   Muzzle flash is secondary concern but what about the blast itself?    Would a linear comp be better on the blast?    Just trying to be ''polite'' at the range.
View Quote

Any comp or brake that has holes or ports on the sides will have more concussion than one without.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't the 3 Prong tend to turn into tuning forks?
View Quote
Tapping test on Smith Vortex on 11.5" reveals F# at ~740Hz + its harmonic.
However, it does its actual job for which it was hired and frankly I don't pay attention to any ping.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tapping test on Smith Vortex on 11.5" reveals F# at ~740Hz + its harmonic.
However, it does its actual job for which it was hired and frankly I don't pay attention to any ping.
View Quote

Exactly... You are shooting something that is loud as fuck to begin with. I don't worry about any pinging afterwards either as I'm likely not to hear it after the shot. I have Vortex FH's on all but 1 of my 10.3's, 10.5's, 14.5, and 16 inch barreled AR's. I even have a 35 Caliber Vortex on my CZ Scorpion. They work at majorly reducing muzzle flash. And I have noticed my 10.3's and 10.5's equipped with the Vortex's are not as loud as neighboring shooters of the same barrel length AR's at the club. Maybe that is psychosomatic I don't know. But people don't give me the "Stink-Eye" anymore shooting the shorties since I've added the Vortex's.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will do very little in that regard. Hearing protection is excellent and affordable these days. No worries regardless of MD.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Three prong and a set of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top