User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Thinking I'm just going to buy a cheap parts kit and try and install it. Figured it would be good practice anyways.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If I was gonna save that lower, I would at least fix the gap.

Using a small carbide round on dremel, cut a groove on the ID for the angle shown. This forms a keyway for JB weld to lock into.
I would then coat that pin with a thin layer of silicone (thin smear with finger) and let that dry for 24hrs.
Smear into the groove JB Weld, just enough to fill the groove, etc.
Insert pin back into position and then fill in the rest of that gap.
Let it dry 24hrs, twist pin out, hand sand the outside, dremel & hand sand the inside.
As needed, use rolled sand paper to clean up the hole ID for clearance purposes.

JB Weld is a bit fluid when 1st mixed, so if using a toothpick to push it into the gap you can mix JB and let it start to stiffen before use.
For small gaps like this I use 3cc syringe with appropriate blunt tip, makes it easy to apply, etc.

After that it should be gtg.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what does the bushing out of the jig measure? Inch or metric?
View Quote

I can't say. I don't have a caliper to measure with.
Just checking with my drill bits it's larger than 15/32" and smaller than 1/2"

I'm not going to save the lower. This is my first time so I'd rather practice and screw up this lower more than screw up another.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why ?
Should have bought a set before ever attempting this project...
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just checking with my drill bits it's larger than 15/32" and smaller than 1/2"
I'm not going to save the lower. This is my first time so I'd rather practice and screw up this lower more than screw up another.
View Quote

Why not save it? You'll gain some skills at fixing
What you show appears to be an 'ez' fix.
Make it a plinking lower.

There are numerous ways to fix it, but due to costs the JB seems to be the only low cost method.

You could also just key it with a dremel, blue tape the inside, fill with JB from outside, let cure for 1wk, re-drill using a fixed or better jig.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A GOOD caliper Is invaluable!
View Quote

I know a lot of people hate Harbor Freight, but even these are better than nothing...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-63711.html?cid=paid_google|||63711

If you are really on a crazy cramped budget...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-utility-caliper-63664.html
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know a lot of people hate Harbor Freight, but even these are better than nothing...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-63711.html?cid=paid_google|||63711

If you are really on a crazy cramped budget...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-utility-caliper-63664.html
View Quote

My old HF digi slide caliper is 0.5 thou (1/2 thou, possibly less as it only reads to 1/2 thou) off from my other very accurate caliper. HF mics are good for many things.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My old HF digi slide caliper is 0.5 thou (1/2 thou, possibly less as it only reads to 1/2 thou) off from my other very accurate caliper. HF mics are good for many things.
View Quote

Heh!  I bought a $10 carbon fiber caliper from Amazon for measuring watches, as I didn't want to risk scratching them with my steel calipers.  I compared it to my Mitutoyos, both mechanical and digital, and it's right on within its 0.01" resolution.  Same with pin gages - you can get sets for $50 or so that would have cost 10x that 20 years ago.

There are some places where Chinese manufacturing has revolutionized things.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you drill both holes from the same side or flip it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you drill both holes from the same side or flip it?
View Quote

Both from the same side. I only replaced one of the guides.

The safety works, it just wiggles a little bit.

I finished the other two lowers. Everything came out fine with them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why size OD was the drill bushing that you finally used. Any info on where to get them if needed?
View Quote

1/2", I had to drill through the side plate of the jig to make it fit.
Got it from mccarr master, links are on the first page.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The safety works, it just wiggles a little bit.

View Quote

It looks like hell, but cosmetically an ambi-safety would cover that up.  It won't fix the wiggle of course.  Some kind of shim could fix the wiggle I suppose.

I'm thinking of something like this:

https://www.righttobear.com/Ambi-Safety-Selector-p/fcs-ambi.htm
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Update...

I emailed 5D a little over a month ago with the photos of the damged jig and the damaged lower. Explained how I used the jig with the hand drill and where I went wrong. They replied just now, saying their jig is intended to be used with a hand drill, but admitted that a drill press will likely yield better results. They shared more tips and most importantly are sending me new jig side plates and a fresh lower. And yes, I did ask for a new lower in my email, but offered to buy it at a reduced price. I'm not going to start on the new lower until I get a drill press.

I'm happy with the outcome and appreciate 5D standing behind their product and taking care of their customers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top