Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2022 8:23:07 PM EDT
Came across this older pre ban SGW lower. The receiver is their first generation, it is machined and not forged. Not a whole lot of information available. Anyway I am new to the forum and wanted to know if having pre ban receiver in free state (FL) had any type of benefit or value.  Shoot trying to edit this, or remove it. Wrong forum. ahhh. lol.

multiple picture upload" />
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I expect that pre-ban status will not mean anything within 36-48 months because of Bruen.  As such, I would advise you to sell it sooner than later.

As for rarity, nothing about it really excites me, it’s like a F-150.  It durable, reliable if properly assembled, and boring.  

Your mileage may vary from my assessment.

18Z50
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
MA is the only market, iirc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe CT also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
My first job in the gun business was building AR-15s from surplus M16 parts sets back in 1982 (legal back then and most parts came from government auctions). We used lowers from Pac-West, Quality Parts (became Bushmaster), Rock Island, SGW (became Olympic Arms), and others (Sendra, etc.).

An SGW would be a great receiver to do a retro "civilian" CAR-15 build. I built a bunch of those with barrels from Quality Parts back in the day.

And get that stock and grip off that rifle! Yuck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You say it is machined not forged.  I think you mean cast not forged???  Forgeings must be machined to be finished.  Castings come out mostly finished,need less finishing and are a cheaper method. Both methods need some type of machining to be finished product. Early SGW were cast lowers.

I had an SGW stop sign lower back in the early 90's and it was old back then.  Now they must be ancient.
Back when OLY arms was still in bussiness, you could send in the cast lowers, and they would send you back a forged lower with the same SN

I would keep it
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my first AR on a SGW Stop Sign lower in 1984.  As someone else mentioned, they were one of a few options back then.  Beware of more recently manufactured SGW lowers.  I can't remember the serial number range, but a little internet research would yield an answer.

My SGW lowered AR15A1 built on my grandmother's kitchen table survived getting ran over by a tractor.  Your lower probably has some "extra value" to someone in a ban state but for the most part its just a functional nostalgic lower.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude. You've done this already. What gives?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Pre-Ban-SGW-Lower-Receiver/123-772541/
View Quote

If its the same lower pictured in this thread it is one of the first billet lowers made by SGW.  They quickly transitioned to forged lowers.  The forged lowers had the "STOP SIGN" logo and more refined machining.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Not my picture (credit: google search):

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
1983 stop sign

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The SGW that I saw at Silverado gun show in 2000 had a first gen milled off carry handle upper with a bolted down picatinny rail on top

The surface of the billet lower had swirl marks from the last pass of the mill
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That lower looks (markings and finish) almost exactly like the one I used on my first build in 1984.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread is making me feel nostalgic.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top