Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2018 3:28:59 AM EDT
I'd like to build an M27 clone, but the HK MR556 seems pretty spendy. I'm new to looking at pistons, but have build more than a few other AR's. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I kinda have been looking at building a lightweight piston setup.  I had the cash saved to buy a HK a while back.  Found one in stock about a hour and half away.  A drove 100 miles and once I held the HK I hated it.  It was soul crushingly heavy.  Not just heavy but the balance was horrible.  While there I tried the DDV5 light weight and fell in love.  Bought the DD and aimpoint micro that day.  I’m playing with the idea of putting a piston on it and cutting the barrel to 14.5
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The biggest reason why the MR556 is such a pig...is the barrel profile...You have to realize that the M27 has the same barrel profile with a longer, heavier handguard...so the weight is not that far off from the M27.

Honestly, I do not trust any aftermarket piston systems...but thats me.

I would own a MR556 in a heart beat if HK would freaking update it to the latest evolution of upgrades...
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig 516 has a piston system that is very similar to the HK 416.  It also costs a lot less.  That's a good starting point.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig 516 has a piston system that is very similar to the HK 416.  It also costs a lot less.  That's a good starting point.
View Quote
Except it really isn't. He is wanting to build a "M27 clone" or as close to it as possible. The Sig isn't the HK and never will be.

GSG makes an upper that is far cheaper than the HK and uses the same parts as the HK. That would be the best starting point, if you're not wanting to spend HK prices.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Except the extended rail won't fit with it because of the rail height difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it really isn't. He is wanting to build a "M27 clone" or as close to it as possible. The Sig isn't the HK and never will be.

GSG makes an upper that is far cheaper than the HK and uses the same parts as the HK. That would be the best starting point, if you're not wanting to spend HK prices.
Except the extended rail won't fit with it because of the rail height difference.
The GSG uppers for sale on HK Parts use the proper height HK416 receiver. It should be able to utilize any HK designed handguard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uppers alone are $1800 and very hard to find.  TD went under and GSG 9s are unicorns.  He wouldn't be saving a dime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Uppers alone are $1800 and very hard to find.  TD went under and GSG 9s are unicorns.  He wouldn't be saving a dime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then he is stuck with getting the HK MR556 as there aren't any other setups that mirrors the exact look.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#10]
How are the Ruger piston SR's? Why do they keep discontinuing models?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My M27 wasn’t crazy expensive but I took some artistic liberty in the lower.  To me the upper and furniture give the gun the look, not so much the rollmark.  The MR556 barrel profile is thick but thats true to the real M27.  The barrel profiles are near identical.  Thick bitch under the handguard and normal profile after gas block.  I wont go into the chrome line drama.

MR556 upper w/ 11” handguard- $1500 (EE)
Standard AR lower- $100
E1 stock and grip- $150 (EE)
TA11mgo- $1100

All said under $2k for the rifle.  In HK land that’s not bad
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I went the TD-415 route.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
GSG-9 uppers are Todd Bailey setups. We know how well his MP5 operation turned out.

Only way you can do a M27 Clone is with a HK MR556. Anything else will not be a clone nor any of the HK handguard fit it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
GSG-9 uppers are Todd Bailey setups. We know how well his MP5 operation turned out.

Only way you can do a M27 Clone is with a HK MR556. Anything else will not be a clone nor any of the HK handguard fit it.
View Quote
Well the TD 415 is not the same quality as a real HK but my TD 415 uppers run very well......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyEU1J4lg0
Many original German 416 parts are interchangeable. I have done detailed side by side comparison videos. The new version does accept HK416 hand guards as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top