Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 1:34:16 PM EDT
I have a Streamlight Polytac in a Viking Tactics mount. I like this setup, especially that the Polytac is a one click on, one setting light. Very simple. The downside is I feel the light isn’t that bright. I have had the light for about 5 years. Are the new Polytac’s brighter? I have a Streamlight G2, but you have to hold the button down to keep it on and I don’t like that. It’s also about the same brightness as the Polytac.
I’m looking for recommendations. Should I just get a new Polytac or should I go with something else?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Streamlight Polytac in a Viking Tactics mount. I like this setup, especially that the Polytac is a one click on, one setting light. Very simple. The downside is I feel the light isn’t that bright. I have had the light for about 5 years. Are the new Polytac’s brighter? I have a Streamlight G2, but you have to hold the button down to keep it on and I don’t like that. It’s also about the same brightness as the Polytac.
I’m looking for recommendations. Should I just get a new Polytac or should I go with something else?
View Quote

@tatsgats   The real question is what are you willing to spend?   For $120ish you can get a stream light protac kit.  Willing to spend more?  Cloud defensive owl or Rein seem to be the new hotness.  Somewhere in the middle?  Sure fire m600 off the EE.   Super low budget?  Replacement tailcap for the sure from Arisaka defense.   I went with a m600 on my go to, a m600 arisaka cline for my lightweight red dot gun, and a sure g2x in a ring mount for my 18” build.   All depends on your use & budget.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know the sky’s the limit. I just want a handheld type replacement for what I have that’s a bit brighter and has constant on capability. I really like the Polytac, I just wish it had a few more lumens.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I know the sky’s the limit. I just want a handheld type replacement for what I have that’s a bit brighter and has constant on capability. I really like the Polytac, I just wish it had a few more lumens.
View Quote

@tatsngats  Modlite handheld is probably your answer them.

https://modlite.com/collections/handheld-lights
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Not for $300. I’m thinking Polytac money. Under $100 for sure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The polytac is 600 lumens and 11,500 lumen. Not the brightest by any means, but no slouch either. Maybe just try buying another one? The Surefire G2 is a great light also
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a polytac for about 5 years as well. I'm honestly impressed by how long it's held up.

I replaced it with a Primary Arms Compact Light a few years ago. The Polytac sits in the Glove box now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure fire g2x tactical then.  600 lu & 8700 candela.  I’ve got o e for carry and one rigged to an upper.

I don’t know of another handheld for less than $70 they had more output.  Unless you can find a good deal in the EE.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems like you want a light that can be hand held but also occasionally rifle mounted. What about the non long gun version of the Streamlight ProTac HL-X (88064 and 88065)? Streamlight lists the body diameter as 1”, so it should still fit in many aftermarket flashlight ring mounts.

Just a note though. Streamlight does not recommend any non-weapon light model being used as a weapon light.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
After more research the Surefire G2x tactical is what I want I think. Seems to fit all the requirements.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sure fire g2x tactical then.  600 lu & 8700 candela.  I’ve got o e for carry and one rigged to an upper.

I don’t know of another handheld for less than $70 they had more output.  Unless you can find a good deal in the EE.
View Quote

Just over $70 ($75). The Protac HL-X is 1000 lumens and 27,100 candela.

Edit: originally quoted wrong post.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you would be happy with the SF G2X
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
The G2x was delivered yesterday. It appears to be everything I wanted. Great light for the price.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The G2x was delivered yesterday. It appears to be everything I wanted. Great light for the price.
View Quote

If I hadn't read this I would have suggested getting an old 6P from Ebay and throwing in a Malkoff head.  I have a couple of those.  

I also have a g2X on a gun.  Good choice.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top