Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 10:23:48 PM EDT
Is something like THIS the best dremel tool to use to polish the feed ramp with? Do those tips really stay on the "screw" well enough to work with?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Those will work fine. They’re $2.99 ea when you buy them individually at Lowe’s or others.  They do stay on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that's what I use for mine.  Go easy on any sharp edges...you can round 'em off if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, in the case of the last CMMG conversion kit that I bought (in autumn 2018), I found that no filing and/or polishing on any surface was required.  It has been plug and play in semi and full (with trip and ABW) auto.  The ramp area was noticeably more smooth and well formed than what was originally on three older conversion units that I did smooth down and contour a bit.
Best of luck with whatever you pursue.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be powerful; be well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are you having to polish the feed ramp?  Who made it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why are you having to polish the feed ramp?  Who made it?
View Quote

Polishing the feed the ramp helps in feeding reliability. 22lr needs a smooth feed ramp and smooth transition into the chamber bore. Mass production doesn't allow for the extra time needed to get these surfaces perfectly smooth.

Some setups run fine without modification needed. Some setups need extra attention to get running reliability. While other people feel that polishing before assembly to avoid any trouble is worth the extra time.

My first 22lr upper I put together would FTF wax coated lead rounds every couple magazines. The round would jam upwards into the top of the chamber and the bolt would jam instead of chambering the round. Polishing the ramp and burnishing the opening of the chamber fixed my feeding issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Polishing the feed the ramp helps in feeding reliability. 22lr needs a smooth feed ramp and smooth transition into the chamber bore. Mass production doesn't allow for the extra time needed to get these surfaces perfectly smooth.

Some setups run fine without modification needed. Some setups need extra attention to get running reliability. While other people feel that polishing before assembly to avoid any trouble is worth the extra time.

My first 22lr upper I put together would FTF wax coated lead rounds every couple magazines. The round would jam upwards into the top of the chamber and the bolt would jam instead of chambering the round. Polishing the ramp and burnishing the opening of the chamber fixed my feeding issues.
View Quote

I've built two and bought one.  None required any polishing of the feed ramp.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top