Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2018 4:48:01 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tried plasti dip on a CAR stock? I was reading about someone using several coats of spray paint on a plastic stock to emulate the viynle finish on aluminum CAR stocks and thought about plastidip. It goes on very thick and gloss black would look like the original vinyl coating. It can also be pealed off easily if you don't like it. I have a couple of the model 1 sales 4 position stocks I may try it on. I'm just not sure how well it holds up. They are using it on whole cars so it can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The coatings used on the stocks was completely different than plastic dip, plastic dip does not maintain a shiny look and it is very easy to gouge with minimal handling, I have used a lot of it over the years for tools and it does not hold up.

I have better things to do with my time than dipping stocks and allowing them to drip and dry.  The original was actually a hard vinyl acetate that held up quite well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Plasti dip is WAY TOO SOFT to use on a stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Be better off trying to find a semi-gloss bedliner paint.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Powder coat an alloy one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Plastidip is a new spray on finish used on cars, rims ,ect. Not the stuff you dip tool handles in. And it come in a nice gloss black among many colors. I can't believe it would scratch too easily if people use it on rims. I  know it adheres to plastics well also. The plastic m1s CAR stock i have was only $40 compared to an original $250 aluminum CAR stock. It would match my shiny 6 hole handguards better also.

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have to study the specifications on this new fangled spray, where I live, I guarantee you, that wheel would have dozens of chips and scratches on it the first time I drove it into town and back!

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s not very authentic. It’s still softer than the vinyl acetate, and it just doesn’t look or feel right. I’m familiar with it bc I Plastidipped the wheels on my Camaro. There is a powder coat coating that matches it exactly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I've powder coated them with black Plastisol it looks right, but it's slightly softer than the real thing.

The real ones where nylon coated not "vinyl acetate", I've not been able to find any vendors of nylon powder coating selling it in less than case qty.

Polyvinyl acetate is the main ingredient other than water in most wood and paper glues like good old Elmer's School glue, I don't understand how the internet came to think Colt was coating stocks in it.

Here's an example of the Plastisol powder coat.

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Plasti dip is probably too soft but rattle can isnt exactly heavy duty either. But realistically most of our guns are just range toys anyways.

I was looking for something to coat a plastic stock to give it a more glossy look. Powdercoat and ceramicoat both require too much heat to be applied.

On another note. Who makes good reproduction aluminum stocks now? I wouldn't mind powder coating my own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had pretty good luck with Alumahyde II in semi-gloss black.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top