Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 8:24:40 PM EDT
Hey guys I was wondering what buffer/spring set-up you recommend for a 10.3" barrel carbine gas set-up?  The gas port size is .073 if that matters to anyone.  I don't have an adjustable gas block on it and was looking for a good starting point with it.  I was going to just start with a 3.8oz buffer and see how it cycles.  Should I get a stiffer spring as well like a Sprinco blue or is a carbine ok?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Just stick to a standard spring to begin with.  You could be chasing problems that never existed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't spend any money until you have to. Try what you have and make changes only if something isn't right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks guys.  That is what I planned on doing but sometimes I second guess my initial decisions after reading so many posts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
A standard spring and buffer work just fine.  I prefer an H2 on my 10" inch guns as it softens them up a bit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A standard spring and buffer work just fine.  I prefer an H2 on my 10" inch guns as it softens them up a bit.
View Quote

I have a few buffers in various weights that I was going to try.  I bought a new H2 buffer just for this pistol when I was buying parts.  I have a H1 in it now I was going to start with but I think I'll start with a carbine so I can see the difference.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The 10.3" barrel has a larger gas port than a 14.5" barrel to deliver a large volume of force for a short duration.

This combination calls for a heavier buffer than the longer barrel with a smaller gas port at the same gas system length.

I would consider an H3 and no less than an H2.

If you have one buffer with one tungsten weight, then another buffer with two tungsten weights, the weights could be used to combine one buffer with three tungsten weights to see how you like it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a std buffer and spring in a 10.5" barrel and haven't had a reason to change anything. 556 surplus ammo and hand loads have functioned 100%.

If your trying to reduce the felt impulse then a change in buffer, receiver extension and spring can make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I use carbine springs and H3s on my carbines and pistols. Multiple guns from 16" - 8.5". Great shooters with no issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top