Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2023 7:43:27 PM EDT
Anyone have pictures they will share?

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
Anyone have pictures they will share?

View Quote

Anyone who would, would be opening themselves up to scrutiny via AFT.

Hmmmm????
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
With the new Brace rule one can no longer use a rifle length buffer tube since it makes the length of pull too long even without a brace attached.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably have better response if you go down to the Armory forum and in there, the NFA area, and ask to see A2 stocked SBRs

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

There is no such thing as “length of pull” with a pistol
View Quote

While techically true, AFT has stated that anything longer than necessary for the function of the weapon is forbidden and I am pretty sure that is what was being pointed out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I don’t see how a rifle length buffer tube could be considered unnecessarily long for the function of the weapon.
View Quote

Nor do I, but AFT seems to.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]

I don’t see how a rifle length buffer tube could be considered unnecessarily long for the function of the weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

There is no such thing as “length of pull” with a pistol

While techically true, AFT has stated that anything longer than necessary for the function of the weapon is forbidden and I am pretty sure that is what was being pointed out.

It’s not.

If that were the case you would be legally required to use the shortest receiver extension available, which you aren’t. A rifle buffer requires a rifle length receiver extension in order to function.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

It’s not.

If that were the case you would be legally required to use the shortest receiver extension available, which you aren’t. A rifle buffer requires a rifle length receiver extension in order to function.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

It’s not.

The only reference in the Final Rule on the subject:

(iv) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from
the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other
accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is
necessary for the cycle of operations;

An AR-type pistol with a standard 6 to 6-1/2 inch buffer tube may not
be designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder even if the
buffer tube provides surface area that allows the firearm to be shoulder
fired because it is required for the cycle of operations of the
weapon.

Take from it what you will?

Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I would assume (like anything else involving the atf) it's a grey area, open to THEIR interpretation. One could argue the a rifle tube is necessary for the function when using the rifle spring and buffer, but one could also argue that the rifle buffer/spring isn't necessary. The fact that they specified length is probably not an accident. Do what you want at home, but I wouldn't go wandering around in public with one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PALADIN-hgwt] [#12]
When I built my AR pistol back in 1993 I took a standard buffer tube and cut it down so the inside was the same depth as the buffer tube on my CAR.  Turned down one part with a belt sander and drill.  Stopped at a random welding shot, explained what I wanted welded, and decades later it still works.  This tube is why the set screw takedown pin mod was done in the first place.

A carbine stock won't attach to a plain tube.

Paladin

eta:  the shorty buffer tube takes standard carbine guts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:30:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#13]
I'll see if I have pics of my 1st AR, a 16" straight pull bolt action pistol w/ a rifle buffer tube.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:16:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:  I don't post pics of my firearms on the internet. You shouldn't either.
View Quote

You're going to have a rough time here, bud.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:13:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PreacherOfGadget] [#16]
I find this thread interesting...  and I'm curious:  why build a pistol with an A2 buffer tube?  I absolutely get trying new and different things, and ignoring traditional approaches in the chase of discovery, style, innovations, or just fun.

I'm curious what the drive is on this build choice (the A2 buffer -- I too have bolt action uppers, and handguard-less uppers).  Is it to use the buffer tube for shouldering at a convenient "pull length" w/o it being considered a stock?

Backbencher, your particular build makes me think 2 things:
1) you're ATF safe (if previously stated concerns are valid) because if your pistol were determined by powers that be to be a rifle, you still meet BBL and OAL regs to not be in SBR territory.
2) I could never have posted that picture without some serious cropping.  My gnarled toes might give rise to a false alarm I was caught up in an Ent moot.

And Whiskeyballzzz:
I'm paranoid, but at least I recognize there's middle ground in risk of sharing, and ways to mitigate risk while still, you know, participating with a subculture you actively sought out, and then joined.  If you're that worried and still want to share, I suggest: A) a VPN to hide your true location, C) secondary/fake e-mail address you only use for firearm photo sharing, B) photo editing software so you can strip out any identifying meta-data, D) basic awareness of not including identifying characteristics in your photos.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#17]
Originally Posted By PreacherOfGadget:  I find this thread interesting...  and I'm curious:  why build a pistol with an A2 buffer tube?  I absolutely get trying new and different things, and ignoring traditional approaches in the chase of discovery, style, innovations, or just fun.

I'm curious what the drive is on this build choice (the A2 buffer -- I too have bolt action uppers, and handguard-less uppers).  Is it to use the buffer tube for shouldering at a convenient "pull length" w/o it being considered a stock?

Backbencher, your particular build makes me think 2 things:
1) you're ATF safe (if previously stated concerns are valid) because if your pistol were determined by powers that be to be a rifle, you still meet BBL and OAL regs to not be in SBR territory.
2) I could never have posted that picture without some serious cropping.  My gnarled toes might give rise to a false alarm I was caught up in an Ent moot.
View Quote

For me, I chose a rifle buffer tube as the pistol was a stepping stone to an A3 build, which was what I was issued in Coastal Warfare.  Never did finish that build, the lower is now a registered SBR @ my BIL's and the upper and faux dissy bbl is wearing a rifle-length Magpul forend on a GWACS lower at the house of one of my groomsmen.

The buffer tube over your shoulder gives you a good cheek weld, and the toes in the pic are happily my ex's.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top