Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2021 11:30:48 AM EDT
Hey guys. So, I picked up a 14.7" midlength barrel the other day, and have always liked the look of the XM177E1 style builds but in midlength so they are legal. A few members here have done that over the years, and they look great, IMO. I will likely use a fixed stock, and will likely not bother with a moderator unless I can find a Brick's, but I am finally turning my pile-o'-parts into a few ARs since I'll have some time while I'm laid up. (Having dental surgery soon.)

I know there is a pinned 14.5" barrel thread in AR discussion, but I thought we might revisit this and see what members here on the retro forum have built, since it's one of the coolest ways to approximate the look of a SBR model such as the 607 or Xm177E1.

I haven't been around much lately – remodeling a house and just finished my 5th book, which I'll have out soon. I'm still working as an electrician despite my MS, so I can only do so much, but I drop in occasionally, and if we had a 'LIKE' button here, I'd be clicking it a lot. Some very cool stuff going on, like the XM177 CAR brace. (Yes, I bought one.) I hope all is well with all of you, and look forward to seeing some cool pics! TIA, - Morg
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Morg.. This doesn't help you with the 14.5 BUT if you do go with the Bricks moderator, you can use this to figure the exact overlap measurements of the threads. Hope it helps..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Morg, long time no see.... You still have that sweet XM16E1 build, I'd love to see a few pics again if you have time if possible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly what you REQ’d but hopefully keep you motivated

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Still not sure how to post pics..
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/a/gqyGk2J
View Quote

Tried to fix it for you but it didn't work, you copy the link that says Forums and Message Boards (ends in .jpg) then while your posting click on the little picture frame with the mountain in it and paste your link there.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, it's an A2, but it's a 14.5 w/spacer & pin/weld by JT...

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
NO picture here. But the reverse flash hider linked below may help you achieve the look of XM177 over 14.7" barrel.

https://innovativeindustriesllc.com/flash-hider-reverse/
https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/ar-15-reverse-flash-hider/
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the upper is an old one.

14.7 middy, pinned and welded.

This was a bummer though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinda...

*Wrong pic. Stand by...
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Late 723 clone. 14.5 with spacer p&w’d by JT.

Early 723 clone. Colt pencil barrel cut down and p&w’d by JT.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My 723 clone. 14.7" p&w from TNTE.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you going to use mid length A2 style handguards?
Do the make A1 triangle handguards in mid-length?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/a/gqyGk2J
View Quote
@MOS8541

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Picture_posting_tutorial_and_PICTURE_test_thread/168-638569/?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Factory job from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, it's an A2, but it does have a 14.5" Colt bbl with a SE Vortex p&w by JT. The Vortex solved my extended A2 vs A2 with a spacer FH quandary. Plus, the Vortex has an NSN.

I wanted a fixed stock for my "melee gun."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Here you go, sir. 14.5 middy with a p/w phantom.
Been contiplating putting an A1 stock on it but it is a C7 upper and the CAR is GTG.
They do make A1 HGs but not sure who has them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses! Sorry  haven't been around, but had to get some things done as I had oral surgery yesterday. (All my remaining upper teeth out & denture installed. Yippee.

I already have a Brownells grey A1 blem upper mounted on a 12.7 (also from them when they were on sale) carbine length with with green HGs. I have everything I need, to build a late 723 (all Colt parts including upper & M4 barrel, BGC and N1 stock set) and am just waiting on the barrel to be pinned. Then I have a middy 14.5" lightweight profile and recently got a 2nd, no-name C7 upper in the mail, and my thought was to build something like the most recent picture, but with an A1 stock. (Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about fixed stock carbines.)

I've had these parts for awhile, sitting in boxes, taking up room, but figured I'd better put them together. I just got some gas tubes from Brownells which is all I think I'm missing, although I want to pick up one more lower to match the grey A1 Izzy style carbine. I may just buy some Alumnahyde and paint an A2 lower come spring though: I'm not as picky about lowers as I used to be, although NDS still builds the finest lowers out there - I may just get on their waiting list.

I have to say, there are some really sweet carbines here guys. BTW, I've really gotten to love the little SIG Romeo 5 MRDS. They work really well on a carry handle. Anyone else use these? I've pretty much staandardized on them for a RDS. Okay, I think it's time for my CBD milkshake...
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guys. So, I picked up a 14.7" midlength barrel the other day, and have always liked the look of the XM177E1 style builds but in midlength so they are legal. A few members here have done that over the years, and they look great, IMO. I will likely use a fixed stock, and will likely not bother with a moderator unless I can find a Brick's, but I am finally turning my pile-o'-parts into a few ARs since I'll have some time while I'm laid up. (Having dental surgery soon.)

I know there is a pinned 14.5" barrel thread in AR discussion, but I thought we might revisit this and see what members here on the retro forum have built, since it's one of the coolest ways to approximate the look of a SBR model such as the 607 or Xm177E1.

I haven't been around much lately – remodeling a house and just finished my 5th book, which I'll have out soon. I'm still working as an electrician despite my MS, so I can only do so much, but I drop in occasionally, and if we had a 'LIKE' button here, I'd be cl
icking it a lot. Some very cool stuff going on, like the XM177 CAR brace. (Yes, I bought one.) I hope all is well with all of you, and look forward to seeing some cool pics! TIA, - Morg
View Quote

Go to John Thomas  Retro Arms Works he can do what you need and has moderators as well as the grenade ring. Couldn't be in better hands w/ him!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Very nice!  What f/h is that?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very nice!  What f/h is that?
View Quote

Thank you. Built that one for my Father. Its a Vortex(G6) on a Colt SOCOM barrel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Go to John Thomas  Retro Arms Works he can do what you need and has moderators as well as the grenade ring. Couldn't be in better hands w/ him!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been around much lately – remodeling a house and just finished my 5th book, which I'll have out soon. I'm still working as an electrician despite my MS, so I can only do so much, but I drop in occasionally, and if we had a 'LIKE' button here, I'd be cl
icking it a lot. Some very cool stuff going on, like the XM177 CAR brace. (Yes, I bought one.) I hope all is well with all of you, and look forward to seeing some cool pics! TIA, - Morg

Believe me, I'm well familiar with JT and his capabilities. I've always done most of my own work, but I was planning on having him pin another barrel for me, then I asked my local FFL to do it. He's the guy who put a Minigun in the back of a Prius for Black Rifle Coffee Company.  I do have a project I've talked to John Thomas about though... just want these other, simple builds done first.

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Believe me, I'm well familiar with JT and his capabilities. I've always done most of my own work, but I was planning on having him pin another barrel for me, then I asked my local FFL to do it. He's the guy who put a Minigun in the back of a Prius for Black Rifle Coffee Company.  I do have a project I've talked to John Thomas about though... just want these other, simple builds done first.

View Quote

This is what happens when you don't come around for a while, the new guys come in and run the place and when you do come back your mistaken for a noob.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looked up a video of that Prius w/ minigun....that's nuts !  LOL
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Morg, here's a picture of my 651 I built a few years back. Sorry I don't have left side picture of the lower that was properly engraved before "they" were told to cease and dissent by Colt. And yes, JB did the pin & weld on the barrel which is almost impossible to tell he did it. I know you like fixed stocked shorties so here you go. Good luck on your project.......
After engraving then opened up.

Refinished
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is what happens when you don't come around for a while, the new guys come in and run the place and when you do come back your mistaken for a noob.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true. I've been lurking a bit, but I just don't have the time I used to. Just finished my 3rd WWII book (my 5th overall) and am trying to get more books out so I can stop electrifying things.  As I said, some great carbines here, but wagsfn I LOVE that 651! You did a great job on it, Brother! I just got an email from non other than Heatnbeat the other day. I was thinking about the salad days and the 'Pay it forward' thread he started. Glad to see you all are doing well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses! Sorry  haven't been around, but had to get some things done as I had oral surgery yesterday. (All my remaining upper teeth out & denture installed. Yippee.

I already have a Brownells grey A1 blem upper mounted on a 12.7 (also from them when they were on sale) carbine length with with green HGs. I have everything I need, to build a late 723 (all Colt parts including upper & M4 barrel, BGC and N1 stock set) and am just waiting on the barrel to be pinned. Then I have a middy 14.5" lightweight profile and recently got a 2nd, no-name C7 upper in the mail, and my thought was to build something like the most recent picture, but with an A1 stock. (Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about fixed stock carbines.)

I've had these parts for awhile, sitting in boxes, taking up room, but figured I'd better put them together. I just got some gas tubes from Brownells which is all I think I'm missing, although I want to pick up one more lower to match the grey A1 Izzy style carbine. I may just buy some Alumnahyde and paint an A2 lower come spring though: I'm not as picky about lowers as I used to be, although NDS still builds the finest lowers out there - I may just get on their waiting list.

I have to say, there are some really sweet carbines here guys. BTW, I've really gotten to love the little SIG Romeo 5 MRDS. They work really well on a carry handle. Anyone else use these? I've pretty much staandardized on them for a RDS. Okay, I think it's time for my CBD milkshake...
View Quote

My recommendation if you go the mid-length route is to use a 16" barrel with a slipover or just pin/weld a slipover onto the 14.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]
John made an upper for me to my specs and both he and I measured it and it cones RIGHT to 16", 16.5 if measured from the barrel extension. Its deceptively short, which was the point. I worry it would not pass muster of an overzealous Leo. Also John had to have about a 1/8" of barrel with a crush washer between the sight tower and where the actual flash hider starts. She needed a little break in on the Rifle lower but runs smooth now, a real dragon she is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I did a late 723 clone with a pinned Xa2 FH. It doesn’t bother me the longer a2 FH but in retrospect I could have just used a washer John Thomas spacer and standard a2 FH instead.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny - I am in the middle of trying to decide if my 16" AR10 (BRN-10) should be cut to 14.5 and pinned.  It shoots nice with the 16" mid length but looks a tad long compared to photos of the Portuguese AR10 Carbine and sort of on the fence as to doing it.  I also am considering a reverse slip over but can't find one I think would look decent.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
John made an upper for me to my specs and both he and I measured it and it cones RIGHT to 16", 16.5 if measured from the barrel extension. Its deceptively short, which was the point. I worry it would not pass muster of an overzealous Leo. Also John had to have about a 1/8" of barrel with a crush washer between the sight tower and where the actual flash hider starts. She needed a little break in on the Rifle lower but runs smooth now, a real dragon she is.
https://i.imgur.com/hgx3uvZ.jpg
View Quote

Jealous!  More pics please.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Can we get the specs on your build please?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#39]
This little fantasy carbine is an original Colt 14.5” pinned to 16”

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ZSxbcpA.jpg

Factory job from Bushmaster.
View Quote

Factory job? I see your fingerprints all over that, Brother! Very nice!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here you go, sir. 14.5 middy with a p/w phantom.
Been contiplating putting an A1 stock on it but it is a C7 upper and the CAR is GTG.
They do make A1 HGs but not sure who has them.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208088/20210318_174406_jpg-2129350.JPG
View Quote

Dude, don't ruin the utter simplicity and usefulness of that by putting repro triangular HGs on it. I've been a member of this forum since the beginning, and I love the looks of the carbine you built. Check out a certain other member's midlength XM177 and you are in good company. That thing is perfect as is. I might add an Olight at the front somehow, but keep it small and light. The KISS concept really works.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Morg, here's a picture of my 651 I built a few years back. Sorry I don't have left side picture of the lower that was properly engraved before "they" were told to cease and dissent by Colt. And yes, JB did the pin & weld on the barrel which is almost impossible to tell he did it. I know you like fixed stocked shorties so here you go. Good luck on your project.......
After engraving then opened up.
https://i.imgur.com/QD0hKFSh.jpg
Refinished
https://i.imgur.com/S3wBLQAh.jpg
View Quote

Brother, you did a BEAUTIFUL job on that! Glad you are diggin' the fixed stock. My ultimate fixed stock carbine would be a copy of an fixed stock XM177E1. I'm going to likely build a midlength NFA legal version, but the the whole SBR thing is so ridiculous at this point, I'm kind of waiting for it to become legal like weed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:39:57 AM EDT
[#43]

I think I just got a chubby. WOW!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:43:37 AM EDT
[#44]
OOPS. Sorry Double post

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top